Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud metal banning, please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 12:23 PM
Todd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Loud metal banning, please help

I would appreciate any help on this

I just had a new sachs clutch and mo03 sway baars put in my 91 S2 cab. The car has 61K miles on it and was running incredilby well for the first two days. BTW The handling is incredible compared with the stock sway bars . Anyway as I start up in first gear there is a loud metal banging sound coming from the rear of the car as I glide around (not at idle). This happens when I shift to second as well. I also hear the same clamoring going over bumps (like something big is loose and banging around -metal on metal) but as I pick up speed the noise subsides and even bumps do not reveal the noise until I slow to first gear again.

Any suggestions?
I would appreciate any help on this. It really sounds like the car is falling apart.
Old 07-30-2001, 01:01 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a guess, based on past experience... when the clutch was replaced, the torque tube & exhaust system came out & were put back in. If the exhaust wasn't aligned ~perfectly on its hangars under the torque tube, you can get some odd noises on acceleration, gear changes, and bumps. Also, some of the nuts 'n' bolts may not be totally tightened...

Jim, lunchtime
Old 07-30-2001, 04:05 PM
Todd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Jim,
Not being a mechanic I did not look under the car for the source of the problem before. Well I just looked, the heat shield over the muffler is holding on by one bolt instead of 3 or 4 and clamoring around on top of the muffler (very loud). I do know if the bolts fell out all at once or the shop did not replace them well but that is the source of the noise. It was a great feeling to find out that the problem was not going to cost me $$$ Not a great feeling if my trusted shop dropped the ball here. Anyway all is good now thanks
Old 07-30-2001, 04:20 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Todd... yer welcome... I won't admit to what all I went thru on my '88 back when I first got it trying to find & fix a similar problem. I finally got it up on ramps & blocks & got under with a flashlight and spent most of an hour figuring out all the hangers and what could be hitting against what... then it took about 10 minutes to fix. This after a _good_ machanic & a _good_ muffler shop had failed....

This was in January, with a dam' cold wind coming across the parking lot...

Jim, happily with four garage bays now

Quick Reply: Loud metal banning, please help