Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy hell! I own a rust & oil nightmare! I need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 07:56 AM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Holy hell! I own a rust & oil nightmare! I need some help...

Okay...I'm trying to do a tune up on my car...but something just keeps getting in the way. This morning, I took off the front lip and undercarriage pan only to find a MESS. Just look at the pictures. Is there an easy way to clean it up? If not, how should I go about de-greasing...well...everything. I can't tell where the oil is coming from until I clean it all up. I did buy a new seal kit for the tune up, though.

Also, for the parts that are rusted...any suggestions on what to do?

Lastly...where is the drain bolt for the block coolant and the drain bolt for the radiator? I looked in my Haynes and it was of no help.

Oh.

Old 01-20-2002, 07:57 AM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Old 01-20-2002, 08:51 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't like those spray-on, hose off degreasers. Seems like everyt time somebody uses them it causes problems (electrical, etc). I wouldn't.

When I am cleaning engine parts I use blue paper shop towels with 409 and a green scrubby for the hard spots or rusty bits. Lots and lots of elbow grease.

good luck

Thaddeus
Old 01-20-2002, 08:57 AM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kierf, at least some of I'm seeing there is pretty typical of the crud that you'd expect to see on a 100K+ car that has had no TLC.

The rust you're seeing on the exhaust is pretty much normal, unless there are holes or pieces flaking off. Some of what appears to be dried oil is the remains of the factory preservatives (kinds like a tan / gold film over parts).

Changing the oil leads to spilling some oil down the right front part of things from the filter. Not good for the life of right front suspension bushings, and adds crud to the undertray.

It does look like you've got steering rack leaks. Unless you're ready to pony up for a rebuilt rack, keep an eye on the fluid level. Maybe try tightening hose fittings?

Rust on heat shields is not usually a big thing; they're non-structural, and the heat they get tends to destroy whatever plating is on them. It's mostly a sign of inadequate oil leaks....

The blue "what is this" is your radiator drain plug; handle with care, since it's plastic, and may break or strip if over-torqued or loosened abruptly.

The plastic undertray is where all leaked fluids wind up; the road dirt sticks to it, and makes it look like hell. Rememeber that a small amount of oil spreads to look like the Exxon Valdeze ran aground in your engine bay.

Someone with more Turbo experience than I may sound some alarm bells, but most of what I saw was "normal," tho' not pretty. Small oil leaks are not usually fatal, except if they get to the timing belt or clutch.

Jim, this ain't a British sports car... "A collecton of parts flying loose formation on an oil leak."
Old 01-20-2002, 09:07 AM
rfuerst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Simple Green is a good biodegradeable grease and oil cleaner and not too harsh.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:19 AM
ast2000
Instructor

Kierf, the part with two wires under the oil filter is the oil pressure sender unit. I have seen these leak on chevy's and they spread a lot of oil around very quickly.

My car is leaking from the seals for the crank/cam/balance shafts so it looks similiar to yours.
Old 01-20-2002, 12:31 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

One good way to get rid of rust is to soak metal parts in a vingar solution. I've only used vinegar to clean bolts, it's like magic but takes some time. A friend of mine used a vinegar bath to clean his 308's exhaust parts and it worked well. Obviously don't put anything with a finish, anything like an oil sending unit in vinegar, just stick to bare metal.

I was cleaning my 951 undersides yesterday (neighbors think I'm crazy with a water hose in 15F climate). There was some rust on the heat shields, the starter had the usual calcium deposits and there was some oil/steering fluid attracting nice clumps of dirt. There were quiet a few nut/bolt connections that looked rusted as well. Looked pretty good after I cleaned it up.

Good luck with the cleanup.
Old 01-20-2002, 03:16 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

The oil cooler hose near the power steering belt should have a plastic protector on it. Other than that, everything appears to be in its place. The steering rack

has an incredible amount of corrosion. Almost enough to make me think twice about using it control the direction of the car. My guess is that your car spent a fair amount of time in the salt. My '86 951 started its life in Arizona and at some point came to Washington (read: salt only found in salt shakers). It has 109k and has virtually no corrosion except for the master cylinder heat shield and the exhaust system. It did however have as much, if not more oil and power steering fluid on it.

As for the oil leaks, these seem to be pretty common. The only electrical connections on the underside of the car are for the oil level sender, oil pressure sender, and the starter. I doubt you will have much problems with spraying on a degreaser and hosing off, as long as it is from the underside (messy). I suppose you could spray the front of the engine as well. If you're brave and can be covert, you may want to take your car to a diy carwash. They are usually required to have an oil/water separator. If you try to degrease your car in your driveway with a hose, you will make a huge mess.

Engine block coolant drain plug:
Old 01-20-2002, 03:30 PM
K27
Burning Brakes

This looks like mostly power steering fluid, check the connection at the bottom of the PS reservois, this is a very common leak.
simple grean works good for degreasing, but like someone else said, it's your driveway.
Maybe take it to an engine steam cleaners and let them deal with it.
Also when chainging the oil you really need to stuff some rags under the filter area as it always chucks oil out when you undo the filter. and clean up any spills as they will collect road grime.
you probably already knew all this but there it is anyway
Old 01-20-2002, 05:25 PM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to clean it up today and try to find the leaks. I'll post some pictures later...
Old 01-20-2002, 05:38 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

actually I think the sides of your pan look kinda clean.
Old 01-20-2002, 10:21 PM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Alrighty...I started to clean up down there. I bought a hand pump and pumped out the power steering resivoir. I disconnected it and saw the two hoses going into it have small cracks. They need to be replaced. It seems for the amount of crap stuck to the underside of my car, these cracks have been there since '88.

Anyways, since I need to replace those lines...I really don't want to pay a stupid amount of money for some hoses. Is there an alternative? My business partner mentioned getting some large steel-braided lines and using that instead. I'd have to remove the banjo bolt from the pump and whatnot, cut off the old lines and re-attach with the new lines, just like I did with the wastegate control banjo-bolt dealie.

Quick Reply: Holy hell! I own a rust & oil nightmare! I need some help...