Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DME or Footwell Relay Buzz?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:59 PM
GreyDog
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DME or Footwell Relay Buzz?

Hey guys, hoping you can comment on this noisy no-start situation?

'86 951, runs fine, other than when it won't start, which has happened 2 times recently out of its 10+year history with me.

I am getting a strange buzzing sound from the passenger footwell when the no-start occurs (cranks fine, fresh fuel vapor in tailpipe), but total silence down there when she fires right up. Buzzing happens when key is in the Run position, not even cranking/Start position.

Eventually, I go back out to the garage to try again and put the key in, no strange sound, and it fires up no problem at all.

Is there a relay in the footwell area that would control starting ?

I know the DME/fuel pump relay is in the engine compartment, even swapped out with a new one, also switched one of the ignition relays #2 for the horn relay, didn't have a spare for the Ingition #1 relay though.

Otherwise I'm thinking its the solder joints in the DME or other DME issue. Just haven't found any posts about sounds down near the DME...

Next step is to pull the DME and examine for solder joint clues.

Thanks !
Old 07-29-2013, 03:23 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have an alarm, I suspect, and the alarm is causing your problem. Disconnect the alarm as described in the manual - the alarm box is mounted by the DME, it's a small black box

Quick Reply: DME or Footwell Relay Buzz?