Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to look at this 968...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 09:44 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to look at this 968...

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...blue-grey.html

and since its my first foray into the world of water...thought it might be prudent to ask the folks who have waded in before me, so to speak.

I am aware of the old adage, 'you get what you pay for'...and generally agree with that. However this might be worth my time and trouble to have a look, and a test drive. Unfortunately, due to a variety of reasons, a PPI is not going to be possible, so I have to try to approach this project with as much information/education as possible.

I am mechanical but not a mechanic. DIY's are something I enjoy, up to a point. I'm not really interested in engine rebuilding at home...but can do most other things, given enough time.

From what I have read, and from the seller's ad, it would seem most of the 'usual suspects' have been addressed? I know there is a 'rack and pinion' question apparently, but is perhaps overstated?

I am looking for a cabriolet that I can take my wife on 'longer' weekend trips with the possibility of some top down driving, without a huge initial investment. This would be our first convertible, and if it proves a hit, well then I guess the 930 Turbo Cabriolet would be the next logical step, hahaha.

Jim
Old 07-24-2013, 10:37 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at this car a few months back and there is a significant paint colour mismatch between the hood and the rest of the car. It looks ok from 20ft away but up close there are a few paint issues. When I test drove it I found the front end felt a bit vague compared with by 951. This could be due to the older, pretty worn tires since the seller did replace some worn steering components, or perhaps it just needs an alignment. The interior was in good shape overall. One other factor is the 968 cab has a very shallow trunk which might be a concern for longer weekend trips, especially if your wife packs like mine!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:58 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Thanks Chris, sure appreciate your input...it looks amazing in his photos, but great to have feedback from first hand observations!
For that price I don't expect perfection, or even close, but do you think the mismatched paint could be the result of an unreported collision, since it is supposed to have 'clean' instavan(?) and Carfax reports?
Other than the 'vague' front end feel, no obvious mechanical issues?

Again, thanks, appreciate the input!

Jim
Old 07-25-2013, 10:40 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim,
My wife has a 968 cabriolet and loves it. We even took it to Parade this year, packed to the gills with luggage. The trunk has room for two 21" luggage bags, provided that they're not the really thick ones. You'll want to ensure that the cabriolet top seals (on the top and along the windshield) appear to be in good shape, they're $250/ea to replace.

As far as owning costs, they're significantly lower than my 951. If you do your own work, the 968 is a dream to wrench on compared to the earlier cars; it's like Porsche finally engineered the car to be mechanic friendly.

FWIW, the price is definitely cheaper than most of the other 968 cabs out there on the market right now but this could be one worth picking up and driving to enjoy.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:45 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Never depend on CARFAX. I've only found one in about 6 cars I've bought over the years that was accurate. My wife's Boxster looked primo until we drove it for about 5k miles and while it was up on the rack we saw one of the new Pilots was darn near bald. As it turned out the car had been hit hard enough to require a lot of body and wheel repair and they hadn't done the rear alignment.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:31 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Great price on that car.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:19 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Well I'll be able to drive it, some...but not get it up in the air until I get it home on my lift, so I'm really going to have to trust my 'spidy sense', and experience to make the decision.

In the big scheme of things, the price does allow for some unexpected events, but hoping for the best, as always.

Thanks everyone, test drive Saturday, reports to follow

Jim
Old 07-26-2013, 09:35 AM
crooster
Rennlist Member

When I looked at it he wanted around $11K. I'd love to hear what you think.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:45 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I believe that may be the car discussed in this thread.
https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...nterested.html
Old 07-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 387 Posts

Interested to hear what Jack Frost thinks of the car.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:48 AM
jakfrost
Racer

Made the trip to see the car yesterday, and glad I did. I had never driven a 968 before, in fact I had never even stood that close to one before yesterday...

I was impressed with the build quality, and the overall driving impression was very good. Excellent seating position, controls are easily at hand, the clutch required a little more effort than I am used to, but the new Sachs clutch installation may have something to do with that, or it is just the design, I'm not sure, being new to the model. The steering felt a little on the 'heavy' side as well, but again, not sure if that is a 'design feature' or not...not sure how much 'power' the power steering is supposed to have. I would never describe it as light, but again, it's what you are used to I suppose.

Everything was pretty much as the seller describes it, the car isn't perfect for sure but I wasn't expecting that at that price point...it is certainly a nice example of a 'well driven but all there' quality car..nothing that some time and a few $$ wouldn't fix I suspect.

The seller pointed out the few things he would fix given the time, like the one burned out 'third brake lite' bulb, and the slight 'weeping' of the power steering reservoir...etc.
If you are looking for a pretty cobalt blue 968 cabriolet, I think this is worth looking at, especially if you have time to 'buff it up'.

Jim
Old 07-28-2013, 10:01 AM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Thanks for following up Jim. It sounds like you decided against pulling the trigger?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:53 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Yes I did Chris...other options to consider .

Jim

Quick Reply: Going to look at this 968...