Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, so Koni adjustables aren't available. So now what for my 951?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001 | 04:01 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Post OK, so Koni adjustables aren't available. So now what for my 951?

Skip, you said Koni is coming out with an insert. Will that work for my 951? What will that involve?

And if they won't, what am I to do? Are Koni reds available? Any other brand? I really don't want to spend more than the 700 per 4 that the Konis would've gone...

Thanks

Thaddeus
1987 951
looking for shocks in all the wrong places...
Old 07-27-2001 | 04:14 PM
David J. Harrington
Racer

Thaddeus, the inserts will work for your car. I originally thought that you would have to buy a housing, but Jason said you use our sealed housing!?!? Maybe you cut the top off or something and it will screw into the bottom of the housing? Who knows. Anyways, if you can hold out until Nov. they will only be around $150 each. I would guess there would be some reds available, but in my opinion, the yellows in their softest setting should be fine for anyone, that's just me though. You could try Bilsten, but I believe those are more expensive.

If you do wait until November, you might spend $200 less for the entire setup than the sealed yellows.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 07-27-2001 | 04:59 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Not really gonna add much... David is right on.

The new Koni Sports for Sealed Struts will use your OE strut casing. You will cut the strut cap off and drill a hole at the bottom of the casing for the threaded hold-down bit to fit through. Sounds worse than it is really, and is currently being done on other Porsche models. These will run $150 each, which is a significant savings over the current (yet unavailable) sealed units.

Unfortunately, Koni Reds are not available for your application.

Keep the faith folks... they're coming
Old 07-27-2001 | 05:04 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks! Guess I'll have to fritter away my money elsewhere til November..

Thaddeus
Old 07-27-2001 | 05:11 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I can hold on to it for ya if you want

Skip (Seattle Bear Night guys - Beer's on me!)
Old 07-27-2001 | 05:40 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

I thought you were going to run into this problem.

Did you give the Koni rebuilder in OH a call? They may have a solution with wrecked cars as the source for rebuilding material.
Old 07-27-2001 | 06:05 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question

Heres the big questions for me:

Do I have to remove the struts from the car to do this operation?

If I do not have to remove the struts from the car, will I have to have my car re-aligned after I install the inserts?
Old 07-27-2001 | 06:07 PM
David J. Harrington
Racer

You will definately be removing struts to do this. This will make an alignment neccisary as well.

Sorry,
Dave
Old 07-27-2001 | 06:11 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes, and yes. You'll want the struts in a vise to perform the operation properly and safely. However, this is no different from what you have to do normally with the sealed struts. They actually come out as a complete unit replacement.

Getting an alignment should be considered a necessary step of the strut replacement.

When these new struts arrive, we'll have a very detailed procedure at Tech-Session on how to do it properly.
Old 07-27-2001 | 06:28 PM
Billy W
Racer

Hey Michael and the bad part will be that since they will have adjustable height it will cost even more to align the car.

Skip will they still offer the same shock set up for the rear? If the fronts are adjustable how can you lower the rear to match?
Old 07-27-2001 | 06:43 PM
David J. Harrington
Racer

Let's see if I can beat Skip. Sorry, this is what happens when I have no real work to do.

These shocks(the new inserts coming out in November) are only adjustable for stiffness, or speed, not height(unless you were to insert them into a threaded housing with a threaded spring perch.

The normal koni yellow sport rear shocks will still be available. Nothing is changing back there. You can lower(or raise) the rear end a little with a eccentric bolt adjustment covered at tech-session.com

If you want to lower the rear more, you have to reindex the torsion bars, or put some adj. height coil-overs on the back.

Now that you mentioned it, I used to want to weld a threaded sleeve onto my front struts. Then I could have an adj. height spring perch. I was always weary of welding on a sealed gas strut however. But with the new design, there will be no sweat in welding on the housing.

Expect my to offer a conversion service to adjustable front ride height.

Dave

PS: Sorry Skip
Old 07-27-2001 | 06:49 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I was just going to get some of these:

here
Old 07-27-2001 | 06:56 PM
David J. Harrington
Racer

Tabor-

You're right. I am an idiot. I completely forgot about those. I am totally buying some. I was going to buy some 400# springs, but I can get then, plus adjustable ride-height in front for cheap.

Hey Skip, what torsion bars that Paragon carries will match 400# springs up front? I have new yellow konis at all four corners. Can the yellow konis even handle 400# springs in the long run?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-27-2001 | 07:01 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

86951:

Sorry, not sure what you mean? If you have adjustable ride height struts now, then they will remain that way... as that is a part of the housing. If you don't, then this will not change. The new Koni application is an insert. The rears will remain the same as are offered now. Koni Sport adjustable ride-height struts are double-adjustable (bump and rebound), and would probably be better off rebuilt, rather than replaced with a single-adjustable(rebound-only) insert.

Also, having adjustable ride height struts or collars is an advantage when doing a proper alignment with corner weight-balancing, and realistically should not cost more than any other vehicle without these adjustments.
Old 07-27-2001 | 07:09 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Check out this for wheel rates.

So either a 30 or 31mm bar.

At Paragon Products the 31mm bar would be a special order item, at least accoding to their web page.

Quick Reply: OK, so Koni adjustables aren't available. So now what for my 951?