Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long story, but useful advice boys!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2001, 04:59 PM
Francesco944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Long story, but useful advice boys!!!!!!

I have always known that the brand of oil you use can make a difference in your car. I have always used quality oils, I like Mobil 1 15w50, and Valvoline. I was shopping at a parts store, was going to do an oil change. Guy comes up to me and strongly suggests using thier new house brand..., comes from European barrels! Oh boy. I have no idea why, but i trusted him, got some 20w50 and did the change. This is off the oil subject, but I also put in some STP fuel injector cleaner into the gas tank, all before my weekend trip to Montana. While in Montana, I start to notice a slight hesitation/power loss cruising at a constant speed in 5th. Gradually this got worse throughout the gears, and I was very concerned. Got to Miles City and checked the oil. It was down almost a couple of quarts/litres. So, I was hoping it was just an oil pressure thing if possible, and replaced the oil with some Valvoline. The whole trip back home to Calgary, the problem was still constant, but I didn't burn anymore oil, at all! And I was driving just as I were on the way down. I bring the car in to check it out with my mechanic, and we change the plugs, figured they were dirty. Well, the problem has almost completely gone away, and I am very disappointed in myself for using that crap oil, I'm convinced it was the culprit of the hesitation. I know that all cars burn oil, even our older aged Porsche's, and I do so believe that that crap oil aided in my engine burning excessive amounts as per usual. Stick with what works boys, unless a guinea can attest to a product. It will save you from kicking yourself in the ***, like me. I am ordering a box of Mobil 1 oil and filters, and never will I add anything to my car unless it REALLY needs it. Take my advice, and Porsche's too! The manual suggests not to add anything to anything, and I think they know what they're talking about! (unless you car NEEDS it!!!) Ciao!
Old 09-08-2001, 07:40 PM
Cobbs
Instructor

Hey, do you remember that dude on the old board that was pushing that "Dura-max" or "V-max" or whatever that stuff was called. Hmmmm, I know your talking about motor oil and all which is totally different but you made me remember that guy. He was so friggin adamant that it worked. He would say some silly stuff like "I've noticed a %5 increase in fuel economy with Dura-max" I'm convinced that dude was working for the company. Sorry for rambling

Old 09-09-2001, 02:38 PM
Francesco944
Advanced

As far as I'm concerned, all these so called performance enhancing products may have some good qualities to them, but do we ever hear of any bad?? Is there a reason for that, like mabey there are none, fat chance, or that no one really knows because they are so directed mentally from the sales pitch that got them interested in the product in the first place. "Increase your HP by 2-3%!" that's all that's on your mind when you do invest, then something bad happens and you wonder why? Mabey I'm just being pessimistic and negative from my experience..., bad luck? But for every right there is a wrong, isn't there? I do recall that v-max dude, we will never know if he does work for the company. These days, it's all about the ching ching $$$, ya know what I mean?!! One thing I know for sure, I am NOT going to add any crap to my car(s) any more, unless it NEEDS it, which with a Porsche, may never happen.

Quick Reply: Long story, but useful advice boys!!!!!!