Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

85.5+ Turn Signal/Washer Switch Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:14 PM
chris87944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85.5+ Turn Signal/Washer Switch Assembly

Hi All,

A few nights ago I went to flip on the brights on my 87 N/A 944 and my headlights stopped working in both the normal and bright positions. They
would only function when I held the brights lever toward me (in flash position). I also detected a disturbing faint electrical burning/smoke odor in the cabin when the problem first occurred. Assuming this was a contact issue in the headlight bright switch, I sprayed it with contact cleaner, and let it sit overnight. Now when I turn on the headlights, I cannot turn my brights off unless I hold the bright lever toward me in just the right position.

Has anyone had a similar problem? At this point I'm under the impression the brights switch is bad. Could it be something else?

I can't say that I'm really looking forward to removing the steering wheel on the car to replace the turn signal/washer switch assembly. I've seen instructions on the removal, but I'm guessing it will take a lot of force to actually pull the wheel off the splines. How difficult is it?

Thanks!

Chris
Old 07-20-2013, 09:38 PM
plyhammer
Pro

Chris,have no fear. It takes very little force to do this. 24mm socket with extension and ratchet. Pull opposite sides of the wheel in a "wiggling" fashion. The turn stalk is held on by an 8mm bolt under the steering shaft. You only need to loosen it and then "wiggle" the stalk in the same fashion as the wheel. Nothing to fear.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:20 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, removing the steering wheel is easy as Plyhammer posted. If you replace the whole turn signal, wiper assembly, make sure the year is the same. I put an earlier one in my '87 and when I put a Momo steering wheel on, the wiper for the horn wouldn't fit the track on the unit because the track was a different diameter and recessed slightly in the housing. I had to reform the horn wiper to make sure it worked. It wouldn't have been an issue if I'd have known there were differences. This had nothing to do with the new steering wheel, I just replaced the unit at the same time.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:33 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

be sure to mark how the steering wheel was attached or you will be pulling and reinstalling it to get it on so it is straight when you are going straignt
Old 07-28-2013, 08:25 PM
chris87944
Intermediate

Got my new switch in the mail yesterday. Pulling the wheel was as easy as you all described. Got the new switch in, and my headlights are working again! Thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply: 85.5+ Turn Signal/Washer Switch Assembly