Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 944. No AC :-(

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 05:49 AM
svt proto
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 944. No AC :-(

I am the proud new owner of a 1985.5 944. Only cost me 200 bucks! and in pristine condition! long story. anyways there is not much on the car that needs fixin. The AC does not work so this is the first order of business as i have a few questions about how to approach the problem.

1. The snowflake button does not stay pushed in. (i am using the dime trick for now) i understand this is a common problem and see ones for sale for around 100 bux. how hard is this to replace? is my 1985 the same as a 1989? i ask this because i remember reading somewhere that it was different. a writeup with pics would help greatly.

2. Compressor does not come on. I figured there is no r12 in the system but i made a jumper wire just to see what happened. compressor comes on now but is a bit loud and no cool air still. disconnected jumper. I need a decent r12 substitute that i can try to fill the system with so i can test if it works, if it leaks then i can figure out that problem when i get there. what is the best r12 substitute?

3. Low side AC filling point. I for some reason cant figure out where the port is where i am supposed to fill the ac at. can someone send me a diagram or a picture?

I have seen the kit on 944online.com but i want to see whats up with my system first before i drop the 600$ on the kit.
I also understand that r12 substitutes is a half *** way of getting around the problem but I'm just seeing what will work with a cheap fix for now.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-15-2013, 06:39 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

congrats on your purchase.

three suggestions:

1) try SEARCH here as a lot of the Q's you've asked have been asked/answered before

2) Also try Clarks Garage at http://www.clarks-garage.com/

3) if you find SEARCH and RL useful, think about investing in a membership

enjoy your 944 !
Old 07-15-2013, 06:45 AM
svt proto
AutoX

Unfortunately i tried to search "944 air conditioning" on the rennlist search and nothing useful came up :-(
Old 07-15-2013, 07:21 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you try putting your search in quotes like "air conditioning"?

If I do that and (in the Advanced search) only search the 924/944/951/968 forum....I get a number of AC related threads.

Hope that helps.

As far as swapping the dash controller....it takes about 5 mins to do and I don't think that after 85.5 there is any difference in them.

Like all 944 electronics, it has some brittle connectors and they crack easily so it is a job to be handled with care.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:35 AM
svt proto
AutoX

ahh i was not using quotes. hopefully i can find some pics on how to install it.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:59 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The "freon" used in the system is also a lubricant for the compressor. Since you have a "noisy" compressor and probably don't know how long the car has been driven with the system on, it's possible that the compressor seals and bearings could be toast. Replacing the "freon" at this point is probably futile. The Climate Control unit is easily removeable by removing the big *****, pulling the trim pieces of from right to left (starting at the passenger door) until the clear panel with the 4 screws is exposed then after taking them out the unit will pull out and there's a cable plug on the back. No mechanical levers or such to deal with. Don't be surprised if the clear plastic panel is coming apart where the 4 screw come out. Age seems to crystalize the plastic. I've bought 2 different units on ebay for parts to restore mine so it'll be primo when I replace my dash with an uncracked one I got at a swap market (part of my interior restoration project).
Old 07-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats, sounds like you got one heck of a deal!
Old 07-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

You might find this useful.
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-your-a-c.html
Old 07-17-2013, 04:35 AM
svt proto
AutoX

awesome! thanks guys! any r12 substitutes you recommend?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:37 AM
svt proto
AutoX

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
The "freon" used in the system is also a lubricant for the compressor. Since you have a "noisy" compressor and probably don't know how long the car has been driven with the system on, it's possible that the compressor seals and bearings could be toast. Replacing the "freon" at this point is probably futile. The Climate Control unit is easily removeable by removing the big *****, pulling the trim pieces of from right to left (starting at the passenger door) until the clear panel with the 4 screws is exposed then after taking them out the unit will pull out and there's a cable plug on the back. No mechanical levers or such to deal with. Don't be surprised if the clear plastic panel is coming apart where the 4 screw come out. Age seems to crystalize the plastic. I've bought 2 different units on ebay for parts to restore mine so it'll be primo when I replace my dash with an uncracked one I got at a swap market (part of my interior restoration project).
Yea im figuring the system is shot but i do want to fill it with an r12 substitute just to see if it will hold pressure and for how long, but I'm not banking on it working for long.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:38 AM
svt proto
AutoX

http://www.es-refrigerants.com/produ...it/details.asp
looks like this will be a good shot at it. well see how is goes.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Benster99
1st Gear

Hi, I'm a newbie and I have just purchased my 85.5 944 as well. I'm having the same problem, my compressor doesn't turn on. Would you please tell me how to jump the compressor to get it to turn on. My AC button turns on and stays depressed, relays good but no power getting down to the compressor.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:11 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

ok, guys, come on - look at the manual. your compressors don't run because there is no Freon. there is a pressure switch on the dryer that protects the compressor from this condition. Change from R-12 to R-134 and you will not be causing an environmental problem and you will have good (not quite as good as new) AC. You need to get a conversion kit with the PEG oil and fittings. I've converted half a dozen 944s to R-134 with no problem. Get a gauge set so you can see low and high side pressure.

Low side is near the compressor on the early 85.5 cars, high side on top (if memory serves). Later there is an HP fitting near the dryer and low side on top (if memory serves). Use a pressure chart to tell when there is enough refrigerant in the system, you can't use the sight glass with R-134, there will still be bubbles when it is filled properly.

Read the AC section in the Porsche service manual.

I have had two failures - HP hose (manufacturing defect) and leaky front seals on the compressor. Both are easy enough to fix, but I send my compressors to Polar Bear for seals.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:09 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just R-12 it, nothing else works nearly as well and you can get the needed 33oz of it for about $75 if you win some ebay auctions.

R-134 will work but you need a bigger condenser up front for it to work as well as R12 does.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:16 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

r-12 will always be better than r-134 at being "cold" it boils at a lower temperature, -21 instead of -15(I think, don't quote the *). some restoration shops use r-12, so you may want to check there first before using ebay, as being an explosive, ups/fed ex won't ship them

Quick Reply: New 944. No AC :-(