Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going for a Landspeed record this weekend in the 1st time amateur catagory....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 03:55 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink Going for a Landspeed record this weekend in the 1st time amateur catagory....

Yes, that's right. This weekend I'm going for a landspeed record in the amateur catagory of changing out your themostat and fan switch in the least amount of time with unlimited foul language (the wife and kid will be busy this weekend). I've built in a 12 hour window, excluding the LSU football game. Maybe that'll be enough, maybe not. But first.....

1)Where's the dogone' bleeder screw on my 86' 951? Please give a vivid description as the Haynes manual picture is of a N/A not my car.
2)What's the easiest way to bleed the system after I'm done?
3)Looking for suggestions on how to do the job right the first time.
4)What's a good mixture of Antifreeze to Water for New Orleans, LA weather.
I've bought VW antifreeze (from Crescent City Porsche) and have a good set of snap-ring pliers. I've also got the wood to go under the front tires so that I can get the jack under the car.
Old 09-04-2001, 04:20 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For the bleeding and location info, check the Tech-Session article here:
http://www.tech-session.com/Paragon/...lant_flush.htm

For the thermostat replacement, check the Forum archives... it came up in great detail a short time ago. About 90% of folks have been VERY frustrated by this particular replacement... I had one good and one bad experience... the good experience was with a motor OUT of the car and a set of small needlenose

50/50 mix should do you fine... for added cooling properties, you might throw in a bottle of Redline WaterWetter. YMMV

Good Luck!
Old 09-04-2001, 06:51 PM
Black_951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geaux Tigers!!!

Check my recent thread "That #$(*$# Snap Ring" and extend your window to three days.

The bleeder screw is kinda hidden if you don't know where to look. It's on top of the block near the intake manifold. Just a little screw pointed to the left.

I put a mix of 1/4 antifreeze and live in Baton Rouge. Make sure it is NON PHOSPHATE ALUMINUM SAFE antifreeze.

If you are planning on driving the Porsche to Tiger Stadium then by all means go to the game first THEN start working on the thermostat. I am not kidding. It might only take you an hour to do. But it took me three days before I just ripped it out with a pair of pliars. And in the past I have easily removed transmissions, heads, cams, and the exhaust from these cars without the benefit of manuals or this forum.

Quick Reply: Going for a Landspeed record this weekend in the 1st time amateur catagory....