Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any "special" 944's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2001, 10:00 PM
Joe M
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Any "special" 944's?

As I've been reading about cars like the RUF R Turbo and various TechArt 911's, I started wondering have any similar companies done similar things with the 944 / 951?

I've been searching around the net but haven't come across any complete tuner cars like a "Ruf 951" equivalent if it ever were to have existed.

Anyone aware of anything of the sort? URL's would be cool...

I have been contemplating the purchase of a 951 for some time now and I am considering doing something like the above.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 09-02-2001, 10:15 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could send your car to powerhaus...and they'd make it go faster. Stroker kit 2.8L or 3.0L, upgraded turbos and MAF kits are the big 3 that you need to go faster. Then of course there's the little stuff that makes sure your engine doesn't explode while you're making all this power, like an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
powerhaus
There's alot of people that sell go-fast goodies specifically for the 951 though, just not that many big places like Ruf that will completely customize the car for you.
http://www.huntleyracing.com
http://www.speedforceracing.com
http://www.lindseyracing.com
There's a bunch of others..I just can't think of them off the top of my head.
If you end up with a 951 (which I'm sure you will ), you'll be very happy with it and it's tuneability (that a word?? ).
Old 09-02-2001, 10:46 PM
Joe M
4th Gear

Just wanted to say thanks for the links. They will keep me occupied for several hours I am sure.

I'm am 99.99% positive I will have a 951, its more a question of timing than anything. Basically I'm taking my time to find the right one. But my target is October so I have the winter to work on it. I'm not looking for an expensive concours-winner because I'm going to end up replacing or upgrading a lot of parts anyway. I have my own requirements and I will just 'know' when I've come upon the right one.

I want to have something in the end that is the total package, kind of the approach that Ruf or TechArt et. al. takes to building a hot street car.

I've driven a Turbo S and the only thing I did not like was the long shift throw, other than that it was a truly incredible car.
Old 09-03-2001, 07:51 PM
ian

Joe,

Well i'm with you in that i want the total package, and athough there are no companies that will transform your car i think it is more fun when you mix and match the best of along the way.

I started the tuning of my 951 a couple of months ago and so far I have upgraded the wheels and tires, suspension and the seats. (I have been looking for bargains and buying when the time is right, also I wanted to make it handle right before I got to adding the h.p.)
The next stage for my car are s.s brake lines, padgid orange pads, with ATE super blue, a complete interior switch (burgandy to black, and removing the sound deadening in the process). And a roll bar just to make sure that if anything bad happens I can walk away (crossing my fingers)
Then in the hopefully not to distant future the motor will get some attention, I would really like to do the 3L stroker, but I have not read anyone's account of this motor, yes I know it makes some wild h.p. but I want to know if it is going to last. Also I want to go with a carbon fiber hood, and a lighter rear hatch with the adjustable wing off the 968 CS.
I think once all is said in done i will have a car that any of the porsche tuning firms could have produced had the concentrated their efforts on the 951.
I hope you get a 951 and keep us updated on your progress and what you are trying, I am always interested to know what works and what ideas are better off left untried.
Old 09-04-2001, 02:03 AM
David G
Advanced

I've never seen a RUF 944,..but I sure have looked for info about one. Anybody?..
Old 09-04-2001, 07:13 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Ian,

FYI, Kelley-Moss has done at least 1 complete (engine and suspension) upgrade on an '88 944 Turbo S. It is currently owned by a fellow in our local PCA. Hard to believe, but his name is Ian as well! It's been stroked to 2.8 liters and is putting out 400 HP. It is in street trim.

Joe M.,

Here's another site at which you may spend too much time. Go to the Kelly-Moss Motorsports site at http://www.kellymoss.com/
and look at the Cars 4 Sale.

Mike

Quick Reply: Any "special" 944's?