Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How NOT to Drive Your 944

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 01:01 AM
Black_951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How NOT to Drive Your 944

Ok, first of all I apologize for the rather stupid post I made over the weekend. I don't even remember writing it.

Most of my near-death 944 experiences have been while drinking and driving and you would think that after two or three such encounters someone would learn a lesson. But no.

Now, I started the evening with good intentions. I would check out a relatively new club in town and only drink two beers. In fact, to make SURE I was only going to drink two beers I left my credit cards at home and kept only $10 cash. $5 cover and the other $5 for the two beers.

Well what do you know, it was my lucky night. There was a wild band on stage giving away beer and BOTTLES of Jim Beam directly from the stage. And what do you know, I was lucky enough to get one.

To make a short story even shorter, several hours later I was in a "Craig" mood and, showing off in a parking lot to absolutely no one, I spun it around too hard and landed right into a curb. You can see the damage to my 17" Kinesis in the pics. On top of that my alignment is all screwed up now.

Oh well. Live and learn or live and die, I guess. Don't drink and drive kids!!!!! (or drink and post to rennlist either)

PS Craig, I was just pickin on ya up there!
Old 09-03-2001, 01:39 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
That sucks, beautifull rims I bet they were expensive, anyway...

Have you learned yet?
Ahmet
Old 09-03-2001, 04:36 AM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

At least you're not dead. My friend died in an alcohol related car accident one year ago, and he wasn't driving.

-Kierf.
--'79 Prelude.
--preludeparts.com
Old 09-03-2001, 07:49 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Consider yourself lucky...A)that you made it home OK and B) that my friend was doing donuts in the parking lot in the snow. The back end got whipped into the curb...the drive axle snapped and I believe some suspension components were bent as well..I think $3k+ repair bill (camaro z28).
Old 09-03-2001, 09:24 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mike (Black951):

Yes, don't do that again.

By the time you're as old as me (39) you will have lost a lot of friends and relatives. You'll be surprised how many die in their cars. And of the number who die in their cars, alcohol will be involved somewhere.

Death sucks, and it never gets easier to deal with. Every time you lose someone you remember all the others too. The weight of all those lost companions gets heavier and heavier.

But life seems sweeter and sweeter nonetheless... perhaps because you learn its value. A great mystery.

Anyway, be more careful. Don't throw the gift away.

Thaddeus
Old 09-03-2001, 11:47 AM
MAS
Racer

I did this with my 68 MGB GT twenty years ago (drunk leaving a university bar). I damaged the wire-spoked rims... I had to get a new rim and tire... and the rim was not cheap

Yeah... well, I think the best rule to stick with concerning drinking and driving is to make like an airplane pilot... and have zero alcohol... otherwise: walk/cab/bus/whatever.

Unfortunately, it means leaving the car at home Which can be tough to do, I know. But, it can be even tougher to leave your Porsche parked downtown at 2:am when you've had a few.

-MAS
Old 09-03-2001, 05:48 PM
txhedg
Racer

Unhappy

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I pulled a similar stunt several years ago and ended up leaving my 6 month old Boxster sitting on the side of the road with (what I would later find out to be)$13,000 in suspension damage after sliding into a curb This incident left me boxster-less for almost 5 months....and kind of bummed, but realized it was a very easy penalty compared to what could have happened

Hopefully you learn from your incident as I did from mine. Actually, hopefully you learn even more than i did. Kinda like cats (w/9), it often seems we have more than "just 1" life......given what we sometimes walk away from....the down side is you never know exactly how many more you really have (I've probably used more than my share so far). Be safe and not stupid.

Last edited by txhedg; 11-11-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-03-2001, 10:49 PM
daly944
Instructor

now I know why you have rip next to most of your other porsches.
Old 09-04-2001, 10:29 AM
doyle
Racer

Boo Hoo I bent my rim. Gee, I wonder why my car insurance is so high with all of you f*%#ing idiots out driving drunk. Have a few friends and families ripped apart by dopes like you and see how you feel. You get what you deserve and you will get no sympathy from me. Just consider yourself lucky that it was just a rim and not someone's elses life. Idiot, you think you'd learn after the first time.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:01 AM
MAS
Racer

"Boo Hoo I bent my rim. Gee, I wonder why my car insurance is so high with all of you f*%#ing idiots out there driving drunk"

Two little points in response to your polite post:

1) Black951 is obviously ashamed of what he did. He could have said nothing, but he fessed up. Bravo.

2) And as one of the guys included in your "f*%#ing idiots" group. I am a 43 year old guy is a "recovering" alcoholic. I haven't had a drink for over 14 years. Am I proud of the fact that I've driven drunk before? No. Am I willing to admit it? Yes.

Maybe you'd prefer that a topic like this be swept under the carpet? Do you want to bury your head in the sand? Or talk about this in a sensible fashion like everyone else here?

-MAS
Old 09-04-2001, 11:24 AM
Greg Hammond
Racer

I'm not going to say anything to "make you feel better" as somebody else put it. If you were horsing around in your 951 after having too much to drink - you got exactly what you deserve. I'm a little disappointed you didn't add another 944/951 car to your list of destroyed property. You could just as easily made it out to the road and killed somebody's husband, wife, son, or daughter.

Get some responsibility, or start walking wherever you need to go.

Greg
Old 09-04-2001, 11:56 AM
txhedg
Racer

Arrow

Greg - since I am the one who made the "if it makes you feel better" comment, let me 'splain it a bit more for you......

the intent of my comment, and the reason for sharing my experience, was to make the point that complaining about a bent rim is lame....if my view of "getting off easy" is by "only" having a $13k bill, obviously a bent rim is laughable. Maybe I should have been more direct (since subtlety is lost on some of you): Black951, you and OTHERS are damn lucky thats all that happened. Because of that, you should feel better, so don't bitch.

Maybe I give Black951 too much credit, but I assumed that he posted the story to help remind everyone one of what the consequences (no matter how minor) can be of dui. Maybe his intentions were not that noble, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. And, FWIW, it took me quite a while to "come out" with telling the truth about my incident, as its not something a professional in his 30's should be doing. Damn right I Learned ...hopefully others will too. Thats why I told my story.

And for the holier-than-thou's that don't like to see this issue discussed on the board, get a life. This sh~t happens, so we're better off addressing it. IMHO, ignoring this DUI issue is akin to assuming that telling your 17 year old daughter "its wrong to have sex prior to marriage, so DONT DO IT" is an effective form of sex education and birth control.

flame on....
Old 09-04-2001, 12:35 PM
JasonN
Advanced

Angry

Some of you make me laugh.
Having a drinking problem has nothing to do with drinking and driving.
I have much sympathy for those who are addicted to the bottle. But PLEASE. You are saying that if someone has a drinking problem then it is OK to excuse them from drinking and driving? How about if they pick up a gun and shoot someone while they are drunk...should they get off due to sympathy? I get so pissed off from those who drink and drive. I am 23 years old...have I gotten drunk...many times. Have I ever driven drunk...never. If my friend was drunk would I let him/her drive...never. Take a damn cab next time and pick up your car in the morning or let a friend drive it home. I cant believe that a 23 year old has to tell you this ****. I think its too bad that you didnt encounter an officer and get pulled over for breath teast. If you can not stop yourself from getting behind the wheel drunk, then you shouldnt be driving at all.
Old 09-04-2001, 12:48 PM
MAS
Racer

" But PLEASE. You are saying that if someone has a drinking problem then it is OK to excuse them from drinking and driving?"

No one is saying that... especially me. Reread my post. There is no excuse for drinking and driving. Talking about drinking problems excuses nothing... nobody has suggested otherwise.

-MAS
Old 09-04-2001, 01:27 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Well.... my turn.

Black951, you are an idiot for drinking and driving, but a brave man for coming clean to the board with a subtle warning about DUI. Sure, a bent $1000 rim sucks, and $13,000 suspension hurts too, but there is no monetary or emotional value that you could attach to the dog that was hit by a drunk driver, or a sibling, significant other, relative or friend. You should fall on your knees and thank the one who made you that you bent that rim on a curb and not someones head.

We all know that DUI is unacceptable. Yup, I have driven drunk, but not for many years. I know what I can handle and cannot behind the wheel. When I get to that point.. I wait another half hour and really sober up before I head out, or I call a friend / cab. That $30 cab ride is cheaper than that rim, or my life.

Moral of the story is this. Drink and be happy. I drink with the best of them, but learn your lesson the 1st time. I see a ton of nonsense in this world, people not taking responsability for their actions. Sure, you fessed up to the bent rim, but the resposible thing would be to call a cab or have a sober friend drive.

If you can convince me that you have never said that to yourself, I'll buy the cab ride. $100 to each person who can convince me that you have never said that to yourself. For you who have said it (100% of you), then get some self control and respect for life and freedom.

Quick Reply: How NOT to Drive Your 944