Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: where to find drivers license info for Germany

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 10:55 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post OT: where to find drivers license info for Germany

I'm trying to write an editorial (due thursday) about the lack of driver training in the USA. Comparing US fatality rates to Germany fatality rates...even with the increase in speed.
So does anybody know where I can find a website that will tell me in decent detail the drivers licensing process in Germany...or any other European country for that matter. Accident rates would also be much appreciated. A website in German would be fine...English not required.

I tried searching google..but didn't come up with much. A good amount of stuff about how to drive in germany when a visitor (the rules of the road type stuff), but not much about how a citizen of germany goes about getting a license.

Thanks!!!
Old 10-31-2001, 08:23 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adrial, don't know of a web site but this is the way it goes in Netherlands (Germany is much alike)
First: You got to be 18 years of age before anything can start
Then: have a theory trainig with examination about the rules and what to do in what situation.
Examination is 40 multiple choise questions with different ratings, in my days 32 points would pass, I think it has increased to 36 now.
Then: you are allowed to practice in traffic on public roads in a special prepaired car with double controls and with qualified instructor on the passenger seat, being responsible for anything and everything.
When learned enough, the practical exanination will take place in a 45 ninute session on the road without the instructor, with an official and when everything is fine, you will get right to pick up the licence at the local council, (after paying the due's offcourse!!)
Then you are allowed to drive a car on public roads.
Drivers licences are in different categories: Motor cycle, motor car (max wht 3500 kg) truck, bus.
Each category requires a fresh examination.
Trailer is a separate addition to the licence and requires separate examination to some extend.

Netherlands has about 5 milion motor cars, average driving distance is about 12000 mls/year, annualy about 1600 people get killed in road accidents, most of them in town, about 30% being driving a push bike or walking.

Hope this contributes

Quick Reply: OT: where to find drivers license info for Germany