Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Momo one LAST time...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001 | 10:55 PM
Steven
Instructor

Angry Momo one LAST time...

I pray to God this will be my last post about my Momo steering wheel. I am so pissed right now that I shouldn't even posting anything, but I gott get it off my chest.
As many of you know, I didn't receive any instructions with my Momo Steering wheel. After having the old wheel off and sold over the weekend, I finally received the instructions today via fax(no Porsche for 3 days!). The instructions were just drawings. No words! You'd think Momo would be a little better than that.
Well, I finally got my wheel on and the frickin' horn doesn't work. I pulled it back off and wired it every different way possible but still nothing. I pulled the fuse and it's fine. The horn on the old steering wheel (I know the horn itself isn't on the steering wheel!) worked fine. Any suggestions?
Also, my front end is a little out of line. Am I gonna have to take the steering wheel back off after I get it lined up to put it in the correct position after alignment?
One more thing and i'll leave y'all alone about this. I tried to torque the nut on the steering wheel to 50nm as instructed. I tightened and tightened but the dang thing never clicked. I haven't used a torque wrench in probably 15 years but it don't take a genuis to set it properly. Here's what I did. The wrench I have has the numbers on the handle, not the old needle type guage that swings back and forth. One side has Torque pounds and the other has daN.m on it. 50 Newton Meters is equal to 36.88fp's. I turned the handle (guage on the twist part has 0,2,4,6 and 8) to 30 on the fp's gauge. Then I turned the handle to where the guage on the handle said 6. That should be 36fp's, right? Well, as I said before, it never would torque. Maybe I didn't tighten it enough but in my opinion I tightened it more than sufficently. I am 6'1" and weigh 225 and I was straining. Ain't that too much?
Thanks for any help or sedation.

Steve (1989 944na) or 944nh (no horn!)
Old 10-29-2001 | 11:00 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

If I remember correctly mine was 34 ft/lbs.

Also, my horn doesn't work at all after I installed the old wheel, re-leathered. Let me know if you get yours working. Do you hear the "clicking" noise when you make the contact with the wires? Do it by hand, do you hear the fuse box make a click?

My 89 has a factory alarm with the horn. Set that alarm off (lock the doors but leave the hatch barely open, then lift the hatch up) and see if the horn blares. Then you know it's not the horn itself (right?).

-Matt
Old 10-30-2001 | 12:14 AM
lordgrommit
Instructor

Ok the horn problem is usally pretty simple. You remove the wheel again and there is a metal tab L shaped, it usally gets covered with grease when the wheel gets taken off and put back on. There is one wire in the middle of the hub that goes to the horn button. On some there is a second wire that connects to the outside if the ring dons't connect or is plastic. clean the contacts with an eraser or steel wool. reassemble.

Matt
Old 10-30-2001 | 01:50 AM
Jon Hanson
Instructor

Steven,
I just picked up a Momo wheel myself, I think the hub adapter should arrive tomorrow. I'll let you know how my install goes, I can take pictures as well if nessassary.
Old 10-30-2001 | 06:21 AM
Martin
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

You will need to run a ground wire from the momo hub adapter (just put it under one of the screws) to the spring contact in the horn contact, the switch works by connecting the horn wire to ground, momo horn buttons don't ground that well even if fitted to a steel hole in the wheel (mostly due to the heavy paint on the wheel). Mine was wooden so I had to run the wire anyway.
Was your steering off center before you put the wheel on? if not I suggest you may just have the wheel a couple of splines off center, it is easy to do.
Martin http://members.rennlist.com/martintaylor/
Old 10-30-2001 | 08:44 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Steven:
...tightened and tightened but the dang thing never clicked
You might want to put the 1/2"square in a vice and check the operation of the torque wrench.
The wheel nut must be pritty tight, I have seen one come loose once, found it during a test drive and got terified...
Used to tighten these with the T-bar wrench and socket while a helper helt the wheel in a fixed position.
Take care
Old 10-30-2001 | 08:44 PM
Jon Hanson
Instructor

I put on my new Momo wheel today, here's pictures of the procedure...I'd say 10 minutes for the whole operation, and the horn is functional.

Here is the dash, with the wheel removed:

Hooking up the button:

Screwing on the wheel:

Pushing in the ground clip on the horn button:

Final product:

I think it turned out pretty good looking. 'Bout $200, all told.
Old 10-30-2001 | 11:50 PM
Steven
Instructor

Jon,

Looks great. But, if i'm seeing right, the back of your horn button has only one hook up for a wire. Mine has two with no instructions as to what goes where. Also, mine has a silver ring (spacer maybe) with another hook up (ground). I have tried the wires in all possible combinations but still no horn. Tomorrow i'm gonna take the wheel back off (God I hate doing that again!) and clean all contacts etc. I pray this will remedy my problem.
BTW. Did you torque your nut on the steering wheel? If so, to what FP to you go to?

Steve (1989 944na)
Old 10-31-2001 | 12:02 AM
Jon Hanson
Instructor

Steven,

If you look, there is a little ground tab on the inside of the wheel. I highlighted it here:

You are right, I only have one wire. It is the juice wire. If there is another one, it would be the ground wire. If you don't have a tab, you should be able to ground it anywhere metal on the hub adapter.
Polarity should't matter even if you get the wires wrong, it's just an on and off switch. So, probably cleaning all the contacts is your best bet. Try shorting the contacts togather when you take the wheel off to make sure you're at least getting juice there.
As far as the nut, I just cranked it down till it felt good and tight. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Momo one LAST time...