Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche mechanics in Michigan??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2001, 11:33 AM
Todd
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Porsche mechanics in Michigan??

I am looking for a good Porsche mechanic (prefer reasonable prices, but any will do) to get involved with as I continue to own Porsche. The nearest dealer is 1 hour away, and is a "dealer".. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-26-2001, 11:46 PM
Kirk924S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm guessing you're not in Ann Arbor since there's a P-car dealer here, but Eurotech (an independent shop) is reputable. They should have my "strange" no-spark fixed on Monday. Plus, they race a P-car. That must be why they aren't cheap...

I had a PPI done at German Motors in Troy and was not completely satisfied. They may be OK for service. I dunno.

Munks Motors in Waterford is an official PCA DE inspection place, but I have no personal knowledge of their work.

Under no circumstances take your car to P.A.T. (un-Professional Automotive Technicians) in Ann Arbor. They charged me $250 for an R134 A/C conversion, which required 2 visits, the A/C worked for 1 day, they could not tell me where the leak was, broke my bumper trim when I returned to point-out the inoperative A/C, wanted to charge me $ to re-attach the trim and wanted to charge me more $ to find the A/C leak they should have found in the first place. Jeez! Plus the guy at the counter drones endlessly about insurance companies, shock absorbers... Kinda like my mini-rant, here.
Old 10-27-2001, 11:02 AM
Mich924S
Advanced

I'm in southeast Michigan and I take my car to AutoEurope in Birmingham. They have a very good reputation with the people I have talked too. The owner is a great guy.
Old 10-27-2001, 12:40 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Stay away from Eurotech,I have heard many bad things about them. When I called to have a clutch done on my car the lady there was the rudiest person I ever met wouldn't even give me the time of day when I asked her basic questions. If I'm gonna spend over 2k on a clutch I wanna know a few questions about the business before they do it, she though other wise. She even hung up on me ofr a question like are your mechanics ASE certified? Plus the previous owner of my car had problems with them doing the job right. Howard Cooper Porsche does some good work but there are expensive. I love Prestige Imports in Grand Rapids, they do the best work Ive seen. Just my $.02 on the whole thing.

Dan
87 951 42k
87 951 200k <-- track car
Old 10-30-2001, 11:00 AM
Todd
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the help

Kirk I do know there is a dealer and Ann Arboer as well as Lansing. Not sure where in AnnArbor though. I am going to look into these other shops as well. thanks for the heads up on PAT.

Mich I know of AutoEurope as they are about 3 blocks from Fred Lavery Porsche in Birmingham. I actually know some othe staff there, and have been there a few times as they have a great collection of exotics, new and used. I never even thought of asking them if they do service.

Dan Eurotech adviced heeded.

Does anyone know of a "person" who does work on Porche. Like a Porche mechanic who may be retired and working from his own garage?
Old 10-30-2001, 11:21 PM
Kirk924S
Intermediate

Does anyone know of a "person" who does work on Porche. Like a Porche mechanic who may be retired and working from his own garage?
I wish I knew someone like that. Let us know if you get lucky and find one.
Old 10-31-2001, 12:48 AM
dino
AutoX

Try Jeff Jones/Automotive Techniques 248-624-5082 in Farmington Hills about 1/2 mile from Bill Cook Porsche. A Cert Porsche mechanic who used to work out of his garage and now has his own shop. Jeff only services Porsches and is very knowledge and nice to deal with. Dino

Quick Reply: Porsche mechanics in Michigan??