Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Who's in charge of Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 09:59 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post OT: Who's in charge of Porsche?

I'm nearly finished with "We At Porsche." An autobiography of Ferry Porsche (ferdinand's son)...
Ferry had 4 sons...Are they still running Porsche? What % market share do they own? Who's the head of design/engineering?
Basically..is Porsche still owned by the Porsche family??

--Adrial
Old 10-29-2001, 11:01 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
I have heard that it is not, but I don't know for sure. Probably by bean-counters as they say...

-M
Old 10-30-2001, 09:43 AM
doyle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I know it is under control of the Piech Family who I think are related by marriage. They own the majority stake in Porsche and VW. The Head person was Wendelin Weidekin (sp?), but I think I read something about him being replaced sometime in the near furure if not already.
Old 10-30-2001, 10:11 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Porsche is "run" by the executive board. The family are not permitted to hold any positions within the company or on this board. Since 1972 when they all got thrown out by Ferry himself. Too much family fueding between the Piechs and Porsches.
They do sit as shareholders on the Supervisory Board.
The largest single shareholder is Ferdinand Piech, (son of Louise Piech nee Porsche deceased, Ferry sister and co-founder of PAG) the current Chairman of the VW Group who retires soon. His father was Dr Anton Piech.
There are 1400 shareholders in Porsche AG. Well shareholders who can vote.
The current CEO is rumoured to be leaving PAG and taking over the top job at Daimler Chrysler. This rumour has been around for at least six months. The even bigger rumour was that he may be taking Porsche with him.
To answer your question. None of the Porsche family are major shareholders in Porsche. There are two Porsches and two Piechs on the supervisory board last time I looked.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 10-30-2001, 10:59 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks
I just finished reading the book...its a great read...
It doesn't really go into detail regarding the newer models (post 356), but thats because there are plenty of other books covering that. What this book does is cover the beginings of Porsche and the WWII era..
Highly recommended

Quick Reply: OT: Who's in charge of Porsche?