Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche grounded in garage

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 10:45 AM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Cool

BBQ, I have an extra room here!
Old 10-30-2001, 11:02 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tim - Kuhmos suck? Been ripping them up with your NA, eh?

You should try a set of the Ecstas. They are COMPARABLE (not as good as, but in the ballpark) as the Yoko Nexus' I replaced with them, at less than 1/2 the price. And good in the wet.

Let's get serious here. Eventually you "those tires suck" guys are going to feel the need to get a set of stickies for the track or autocross, and then you may sing a different tune about which street tires are great based on how expensive they are... Having to fund 2 sets of tires makes a very good, inexpensive tire much more impressive.

Of course, don't listen to me, I have trouble funding one set...
Old 10-30-2001, 11:08 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had somebody tell me once that the roads in Hawaii are especially tough on tires because the blacktop and concrete roadways use ground up local rock, which is all volcanic/igneous, of course... It tends to be harder and sharper in fracture than rock which we'd use here in Minnesota, for example, which is sedimentary or metamorphic rock.

I honeymooned on Maui 16 years ago and was outraged when I had to pay 50 cents a mile for the rental car, on top of the "normal" rental fee. Until I drove the Maui "highway"... then I understood, they HAD to charge that. It was beyond a doubt the worst road I've ever driven on. I'm sure that the car depreciated 50 cents a mile just from the potholes, heaves, etc.etc. I was going no more than 20 mph on average because I didn't want to shake my fillings loose... than some local would come blasting by me at 60 mph, shaking his/her head at the damn tourist...

Thaddeus
Old 10-30-2001, 11:46 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the local rock supplies can make a dramatic difference. I mentioned coral which is what is frequently used on some of the islands that are basically a reef pushed up in the air. The coral is porous so when it rains the roadway is more or less like a sheet of ice.

I first learned about this the hard way sliding through a stop light at 40 mph. How I managed to miss the cross traffic was a miracle. The road departments have taken to barging in normal sand (pretty expensive) to lay down a strip of ashpalt in front of stop signs since so many off islanders were crashing. And the wierd thing is the rental car companies would never mention this slick coral biz to customers.
Old 10-30-2001, 12:16 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Cool

Pamela,

You can get just about any of the tires these guys mention. Goodyears are good for about a year. I had Dunlop SP-9000's on the back and SP-5000's on the front of my S2 until I picked up some 17" cup wheels. They needed some new rear tirees but the fronts were fine so I stuck with the same brand/model (Sumitomo HTRZ's). You can hit tire rack and read all the customer feedback you want. Remember each tire will feel different depending on the road and tread pattern. You mention Pirelli's. I have P-Zero's on my Saleen and have had problems with flats (5 flats since Feb., one tire replaced due to broken belt.) I don't have any stars like these other guys so you can blow me off if you want.
Old 10-30-2001, 12:38 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodyear Eagle GT's have the worst wet traction I have ever expierienced. Get rid of them if you have to drive in the rain.
Old 10-30-2001, 03:53 PM
Greg Hammond
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm very happy with the Yokohama AVS Sports on my car, and they were quite reasonably priced.

If you have two NEW Dunlop tires on the front of your car, my advice would be to get just TWO new Dunlop tires of the same model for the rear of your car. Keeping the same tread pattern and rubber compound on the front and rear of your car will allow for more predictable wet and dry handling. Most importantly, it will keep the front/rear traction balance equalized when cornering hard. If you have "less" traction in the front or the rear, and hit a turn extra fast, you may find the front or rear (end with least traction) will be more likely to swing out of control.

Greg
Old 10-30-2001, 10:11 PM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Why bother...

Quick Reply: Porsche grounded in garage