Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative to the "carbon fiber" dash kits...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 07:05 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daly and others, I picked up the same pieces from Prestige a while ago: window switch surrounds, door handle surrounds (kept the handle black), emergency brake, and door locks. They shipped them to me in D.C. with no problem. The emergency brake is a very nice piece. They are installed in my '89 951 (blk/blk). They compliment the silver trim around my Blaupunkt Munchen nicely. Below are a couple of pics.
http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Dr...ideCloseUp.jpg

Old 12-15-2001, 07:10 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/GloveBoxEVC.jpg [/IMG] [img]null[/img]
Old 12-15-2001, 07:17 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Old 12-15-2001, 07:57 PM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The pieces from Prestige are lacquered!? Why the hell would you pay that much for painted (lacquered) plastic. Matt I'm with you on this one, you can buy a whole hellava lot of paint (lacquer) for $650, enough to paint the inside and out.
Old 12-15-2001, 08:09 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I'm not sure what others were quoted, but my total bill for: door handles and surrounds, door locks, window surrounds, emergency brake (entire unit/exchange), **** insert, etc. was $400. Given that I have neither the time nor the desire to paint or whatever process is done to these things, I found the cost quite palatable and the installation was a breeze. I'm quite satisfied.
Old 12-15-2001, 08:31 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
You know what? I'm going to try this out.

I think you can spray it with "chrome" or "aluminum" colored paint, and maybe even "brush" it and let it dry with streaks... Then clear coat it.

I don't know. Us poor people have to be resourceful. Any $650 I get goes to pay for Cessna 152 fuel...

-Matt
Old 12-15-2001, 08:32 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

John, where did you get that speaker panel in your door? I like.

-Matt
Old 12-15-2001, 11:51 PM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't get spray paint. A friend of mine spray painted some of his interior dash trim, which later bubbled from the heat of the sun. Another friend had a body shop paint his and it looks great, just like the pieces from Prestige. Chrome paint would not work too well, since chrome plating process usually makes the surface very smooth, therefore allowing mirror finish shine.
Old 12-16-2001, 12:43 AM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Matt, a stereo shop in MD fabricated that speaker panel for me. Audio Connection. I told them to be creative and they decided to do an organic shape using a wood form that they covered with leather. They sanded it and rounded off the edges prior to covering it. The panel blends well and extends from the panel under the armrest. Because it's wood, it's very solid and adheres tightly to the door panel with screws. They also fabricated a panel for the rear speakers and I now have circular grills back there too. Together with the tweeters above, the sound is outstanding. Dave Matthews Live in Chicago sounds particularly sweet these days.
Old 12-16-2001, 01:59 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Painted: My understanding is that some of their parts are laquered, some are not.
Old 12-16-2001, 12:57 PM
ast2000
Instructor

My dummy (aka son-in-law) is a auto painter by trade (specializing in custom Corvette body kits etc). He recommends painting interior pieces with exterior auto paint, adding a dulling agent?? to reduce the gloss and glare. His main arguement is the laqured(sp) pieces can be harmed with solvent or even a harsh glass cleaner.

He painted the dash trim piece on his GMC PU aka-low and slow white to match the exterior and it looks OK and doesn't glare in the sunlight.

Someone asked about removing guage needles, he added a flame gauge overlay (added 5MPH
). His proceedure was: he warmed the engine up, noted the position of the needles, changed the overlay and then replaced the needles. Apparently the cold position may actually force the needles against the stops. Remember he has a fair amount of experience doing this so he can do it before the engine cools too much. What a noviece could do is warm the engine for 5-10 minutes, long enough to be sure the temps have stabilized, replace the overlay, re-install the guages without the nnedles, re-warm the engine and then replace the needles and finish re-assembly.

He is interested in doing paint work on the side, if anyone is intersted email me and I'll pass your name and number to him. He isn't cheap, but does very nice work.

Matt - I saw in another post you aced a Calc test, I took Calc many years ago and didn't come close to acing anything in it, impressive.

astampthing@aol.com
Old 12-16-2001, 07:47 PM
michael2e
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike or anyone have any experience with colorplus.com or using their products to refurbish leather or dye interiors?
Old 12-16-2001, 09:22 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I decided I was going to paint it last night. I am using aluminum engine paint, so it probably won't bubble in the meager heat of the sun (compared to the engine)...

I will post pictures.

And no, I THOUGHT I aced it. I did ok though on the final, and got an "A" in the class (my avg going into it was 98%).

-M

Quick Reply: Alternative to the "carbon fiber" dash kits...