Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For lunch it prefers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 06:02 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't remember ever seeing that one on television? ?
Old 01-20-2002, 01:00 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a great ad.

A lot of people would say that this ad shows the difference between the "old Porsche" and the "new Porsche."

That is, today Porsche marketing uses a lot of imagery from the past. "Heritage marketing," playing up the old racing history from the 1950's.

But the 951 ad goes right after the then-current (1990's) competition: Ferrari & Corvette. Pretty ballsy - and effective!

Makes me want to get a 951.
Old 01-20-2002, 03:10 AM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

that is great
Old 01-20-2002, 04:36 AM
stupenal
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the commercial saved to my hard drive. They play some "psycho" type music in the background and the commercial just shows the car doing some mad countersteering in the rain. Pretty short vid. There was this website where you could search for any type of media, including porsche commercials. Forgot what it is tho. I'm sure someone on this board will know.
Old 01-20-2002, 05:09 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

DanP, Stupenal, whoever...

How do you get that to save? I just got my computer, and am trying to learn (still fairly illiterate). It took me a few minutes to get the thing to download, and then, I had to download and install a "Quick Time" program(?), or something, from Apple. I was fortunate enough to get it to play- it only came up in a little square in the center of the screen though- is that the way it's supposed to be? I'm not complaining if it is, but i tried everything I could think of (not much) and it stayed that way (about 2"X2"). Still, very cool video- I'd just like to know if there's anything else I can do w/it, and/or whether or not I can keep it saved(?)...

Thanks,
Robby

BTW, AndyK- I don't think I've ever seen a test for a 944S before- thanks to you, and the others for the nostalgia trip
Old 01-20-2002, 05:37 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Robby:
<STRONG>DanP, Stupenal, whoever...

How do you get that to save? I just got my computer, and am trying to learn (still fairly illiterate). It took me a few minutes to get the thing to download, and then, I had to download and install a "Quick Time" program(?), or something, from Apple. I was fortunate enough to get it to play- it only came up in a little square in the center of the screen though- is that the way it's supposed to be? I'm not complaining if it is, but i tried everything I could think of (not much) and it stayed that way (about 2"X2"). Still, very cool video- I'd just like to know if there's anything else I can do w/it, and/or whether or not I can keep it saved(?)...

Thanks,
Robby

BTW, AndyK- I don't think I've ever seen a test for a 944S before- thanks to you, and the others for the nostalgia trip
</STRONG>
Robby...

I have the video in windows media format, which, unlike the outdated and crippled PC quicktime player, can play full screen with ease. I'll put it up on my new web server (its a company I worked for for a couple of years, and their head internal IT guy is a good friend of mine) when I get back to school, which should be tomorrow night or monday during the day, depending on how drunk I get when I watch the ravens game tomorrow. I'll keep you updated...
Old 01-20-2002, 05:47 AM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Yeah Ribster, I wouldnt mind that video too!
Old 01-20-2002, 07:17 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like it very much. A little hard to read the text, but rewarding. I wish very much that I could get a copy of that in higher resolution, it would be a great addition to my cubicle wall...
Ask and you shall receive!!! I just posted a couple of hi-res scans of these ads on my website:951 RacerX website. Enjoy...

Old 01-20-2002, 09:31 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Yo Danno, they're cool but really small! Is there any way you could load big ones with links? I got b-w, not worried about times...

hopefully,

Thaddeus
Old 01-20-2002, 11:17 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

I have it in mpeg as well...I'll throw it up on my rennlist page as soon as rennlist.com works again...

it'll be up at
http://members.rennlist.com/adrial/commercial.mpeg

edit:
It's up
Old 01-20-2002, 03:25 PM
Danno
Race Director

Yo Danno, they're cool but really small! Is there any way you could load big ones with links?
I'm uploading them to the "Porsche Ads" section of my website right now (only 2 to go). There's a computer-screen size image as well as i-res 200-300dpi scans so you can print your own 11x17" posters if you want.

For some strange reason the Rennlist server times out on me if I try to upload a series of images over 1mb. So I gotta do them one at a time. Let me know how they turn out.
Old 01-20-2002, 03:26 PM
stupenal
Instructor

the way i saved the file to my hard drive was to look into the windows temporary internet files. There it compiles a whole bunch of stuff, and just go to the very end, and you should be able to see the movie. Then just transfer it over to your main drive.
Old 01-20-2002, 04:11 PM
Danno
Race Director

Or you can just right-click any of the movie links above and pick "Save target as..." and save it to a folder on our hard-drive.
Old 01-20-2002, 09:29 PM
stupenal
Instructor

Oh yah, thanks Danno for that reminder! Must've misplaced my brain when i first posted!
Old 01-20-2002, 10:46 PM
Super Space Monkey
Intermediate

Originally posted by stupenal:
<STRONG>i have the commercial saved to my hard drive. They play some "psycho" type music in the background and the commercial just shows the car doing some mad countersteering in the rain. Pretty short vid. There was this website where you could search for any type of media, including porsche commercials. Forgot what it is tho. I'm sure someone on this board will know.</STRONG>

I love that commercial, I just keep playing it over and over. Using a violin rendition of the now classic Jim Hendrix master piece "Purple Haze" blends perfectly with the billowing smoke behind the car, a great audio/visual experience. As for length 30sec is typical for a TV spot.

Quick Reply: For lunch it prefers...