Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would You Buy a Chinese Porsche 944?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by ried
xschop is right. I bought a set of Meyle engine mounts this summer, from the Porsche dealer, only to find out that they had a "Made in China" sticker on them. I returned them and insisted on the Porsche original part (for about $250 more).

The bottom line is that many of the formerly German products are now being made in China, even while they maintain the German brand name.
Meyle = german company with german R&D. Everything else is made in china and the company was founded by that principle.

China makes cheap knockoff parts, but it also produces VERY high quality stuff for most major brands around the world. They even produce housings for almost all major swiss wristwach brands and a lot of other high precision parts.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Machog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche have around 30 dealers in China and at least 1 in Hong Kong. Probably start to push the ROW waiting list up. Not sure about the roads when you leave the big cities, or even the availability of suitable high octane gas. Maybe a big Cayenne market?

Machog
Old 01-04-2014, 11:44 PM
jcb928
Rennlist Member

China can make good products like the Iphone/Ipad.

Even Uncle Sam uses Chinese made parts,

"U.S. waived laws to keep F-35 on track with China-made parts"
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/exclusive-u...2--sector.html
Old 01-05-2014, 01:24 PM
MY83944
Racer

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I remember Jim well and saw the Cooper Cup on his coffee table while he was nursing a bunch of motherless kittens...no kidding! He was having some early health issues making it impossible to work on his car so I replaced his rear main seal and pilot bearing in his yard, dead lizards everywhere. I would have installed the clutch but he misplaced many of the flywheel bolts. He was a true 944 character.
I totally believe you about the kittens, the lizards - he sort of lived out of town. Is was not long before big houses starting creeping up on Candy and Jim. That ended up being a blessed, I think they did "OK" when they sold.

Good times, he cracked me up, I think he was the first person I ever heard say "I've got a face for radio", he had the voice, for sure.....
Old 01-05-2014, 01:29 PM
MY83944
Racer

Chinese stuff - I'm becoming more and more impressed with the quality of some of the items, and you all know what that means - higher prices.

I bought some of these for my son's car -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-5-5-55m...f61001&vxp=mtr

And the quality is stunning, at at the price delivered, well, it's just not right, something is not right. How they can deliver those, at the quality I've seen, raises suspicions.

I'm not sure that their needs to be far more quality control done on anything that may affect our health - any lead or other toxin tests being done on things like coffee machines?

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 01-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by karlfrevans
Totally agree. About 2008, Chinese baby formula was killing Chinese infants. If they don't care about quality baby formula, what standard do you think is applied to replica parts?
They do fake and counterfeit medicines and pills, selling them as the real deal. There was a 60 Minutes expose' on this, where the reporters secretly videotaped interviews with Chinese "pharmaceutical" executives, who offered any sort of pills looking exactly like the pirated ones from the US. Instead of meds, they use powder made of drywall. So, your Gramma's cancer may not be getting any better, due to Chinese drywall pills she's buying for exorbitant prices.

Speaking of drywall, make sure the drywall in your house is not Chinese, which is found to be toxic and has resulted in condemnation or expensive rehab of countless houses in this country.

Quick Reply: Would You Buy a Chinese Porsche 944?