Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would You Buy a Chinese Porsche 944?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 01:41 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple_T
Just speaking with a fellow 951 owner here in Alberta. It seems some one is buying up all the 944 and 951's in Canada and shipping them to China to get rebuilt.

Is this really happening? A new trend? Is this happening in the States too? Is this so they can copy parts or rebuild the car?
If something like that is happening, I would suspect it would be cars imported for domestic consumption. There is a demonstrated demand in the Chinese market for indicators of wealth (see: Swiss watches, for ex.), so a Porsche, any Porsche, would make some sense. We may just be seeing the beginnings of such a market. It's plausible. More plausible than cars going to China for reconditioning and resale back overseas. Likewise it's too much of a niche market on cars too old to bother setting up production of knock-off parts.

I knew a guy that used to export motorcycles to a South American market. He made a nice living doing that. I've also seen an exporter that was shipping large domestic sedans to SW Asia, so it wouldn't be without precedent.

The motorcycle exporter lost his market when the laws regarding licensing his goods were changed. The sedan exporter has also ceased operating out of the Port of Houston, but I don't know why. In any case, nature abhors a vacuum, and the growing demand for prestige consumer goods in China would make for a market to exploit via importation of premium-branded cars. Even models that don't carry much cachet in more mature markets.

All depends on the viability of registering the cars at the destination, I suppose. No idea what China's laws regarding that would be.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:41 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by MY83944
Amen

RIP Jim Cooper, one of the first people I met on this forum, well over a decade ago.

Anyone else remember this?

I'll never forget when I flew from here in the good old Midwest to Redwood City CA for business and Jim, who lived in Manteca, drove down to meet me for dinner.

He allowed me to drive his Blue 944 through some of the most incredible roads I've ever seen.

Back up behind the skyline, back behind the roads most traveled, some very memorable moments, to say the least.

He only knew me from the forum, yet went above and beyond to kindle a friendship.

We became friends and kept in touch, up until his passing.

I'm not so sure that he is not driving a reliable, trouble free 944 where he is, but I can not be sure.

Anyway -

My 83 944 sold this last week - Went to a good home in Kansas.
I remember Jim well and saw the Cooper Cup on his coffee table while he was nursing a bunch of motherless kittens...no kidding! He was having some early health issues making it impossible to work on his car so I replaced his rear main seal and pilot bearing in his yard, dead lizards everywhere. I would have installed the clutch but he misplaced many of the flywheel bolts. He was a true 944 character.

Last edited by KuHL 951; 01-01-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Mangonesailor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple_T
Just speaking with a fellow 951 owner here in Alberta. It seems some one is buying up all the 944 and 951's in Canada and shipping them to China to get rebuilt.

Is this really happening? A new trend? Is this happening in the States too? Is this so they can copy parts or rebuild the car?

I really don't think that I would buy one of these rebuilt Chinese Porsches. I have an authentic one... for now

Would you buy one?
When my dad and I used to be into the Chevy LUVs and Isuzu PUPs we came across several guys on the forum that were "collectors" looking for spare parts and trucks to keep up their collection. They initially were seen as just one of us and people would sell them their spare Turbos, heads, transmission rebuild kits, etc.. for these "collectors." After the sales these people would just disappear as quickly as they showed up. They didn't even post public "Thank yous" or anything. We thought that was pretty strange.

One day while at a local junk yard we saw a freshly laid LUV with a near-perfect interior and alerted the forums about it and that we were going to strip whatever was requested. The following day it was gone and when we inquired as to why he said "There's this african dude that I call whenever I get a LUV or PUP. Apparently he ships them off to Egypt so they can use them there." (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

We told the forums about this, just as you did, and people quickly started having MAJOR pucker-factor about who they were selling parts to. More reports came in about foreigners buying up LUVs and PUPs from junk yards and finally, via the grape-vine, someone found out that what they were doing was chopping the trucks right behind the cab, stuffing them in containers along with every transmission, rear axle, seat, belt buckle, etc... that they could find and shipped them to Egypt. There, the trucks were either welded back together and the engine rebuilt to be sold as a "NEW" (not rebuilt) vehicle to make a pretty sizable profit.

Admin on the Forums got involved and what eventually occurred was an instant ban of new users that met specific criteria and users were very skeptical of new people on the forum instantly requesting parts/cars for peanuts.

So guys, if this is just a localized thing, I'm guessing its not really going to be a big deal or affect the parts-pool for our 924s/44s/68s. However, this could spread, and I hope it doesn't, because this could cause hard-to-find rolling chassis-es (chassi?) or transmissions to start disappearing. Our cars could become an "Endangered Species."

Also, all this stuff about LUVs being bought up started in 2005. If you see a LUV now a days it's like spotting a Unicorn.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 146 Posts

Top Gear did an episode where they were in China and the drove Chinese copies of a Mini and what looked like a BMW X5, plus a few others if I remember correctly.

Maybe they are going to copy and then start producing a 21st Century 944.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:13 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

weren't they bad enough when Audi bullt them?
Old 01-02-2014, 02:48 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get with reality. The continual replacement of 944 parts dictates that you currently own a Chinese-built Porsche.

Look at the slew of 928 owners that thought they were getting factory waterpumps. Alot of ruined blocks when the cheap impeller decides to part ways with it's prop shaft.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or it could be like in many places in Europe, where the cars are cheaper in the US and makes more sense to buy and ship there.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:42 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A similar thing happened in the '90's with British motorcycles going to Japan. Lots of middle-aged Japanese with lots of money, who always wanted a Brit bike when they were young, could own one for not much yen. I still see ads from the guys who arrange for export of these, also MGB's and Triumphs.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:40 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'm the only one who is glad this is happening. If the Chinese suddenly get a fetish for the 944, the prices for examples like mine are going to go to the moon. I got news for everyone, it aint just China, it is demographics in general. 944's are going up in price, son.

Do not sell.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:51 AM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

xschop is right. I bought a set of Meyle engine mounts this summer, from the Porsche dealer, only to find out that they had a "Made in China" sticker on them. I returned them and insisted on the Porsche original part (for about $250 more).

The bottom line is that many of the formerly German products are now being made in China, even while they maintain the German brand name.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:08 AM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Soon you can order yours in Melamine White or Lead Paint Grey.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:28 AM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Every single time I've bought a car part made in China, it has turned out to be absolute crap. Looks OK out of the box, but then does not quite fit and/or is inferior materials.

They steal the designs and make counterfeit parts.

Do not buy from them. They use the money to prepare for "the inevitable war with the Americans" in the words of one of their generals.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:55 PM
jcb928
Rennlist Member

I have had my 944S for sale in Vancouver @$5900 and not one Chinese guy or even Asian has called about it.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:33 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcb928
I have had my 944S for sale in Vancouver @$5900 and not one Chinese guy or even Asian has called about it.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:59 PM
karlfrevans
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dash01
Every single time I've bought a car part made in China, it has turned out to be absolute crap. Looks OK out of the box, but then does not quite fit and/or is inferior materials.

They steal the designs and make counterfeit parts.

Do not buy from them. They use the money to prepare for "the inevitable war with the Americans" in the words of one of their generals.
Totally agree. About 2008, Chinese baby formula was killing Chinese infants. If they don't care about quality baby formula, what standard do you think is applied to replica parts?

Quick Reply: Would You Buy a Chinese Porsche 944?