Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mein wasserrohr ist KAPUT!!! (radiator hose,ahhh!!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 04:57 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down Mein wasserrohr ist KAPUT!!! (radiator hose,ahhh!!)

Ok, I was on my way to work today, and it was about -10C. I was keeping it under 3k rpm's. Just taking it easy. The car got to operating temp, but still was blowing cold air?

I got to the autobahn ramp and the temp gauge shot up. I immediately pulled over.

POOF, steam from the engine. I let it sit for a bit and let it cool down. When I went to start it again, kachunk kachunk kachunk. No fire at all...

It was really cold and really dark, and I didn't want to fool with it anymore. I checked the fan fuses too, because they weren't working. I waited a few, and tried to start it. Varuum. Ran smooth. When I tried to rev, it would almost die at first, then rev.

I popped the hood and saw sparks shooting from my header to the vacuum hoses? I think that is what they are. I turned it off, called my girlfriends dad and used every bit of german I knew to tell him where I was.

He took my car home and I took his peugot wagon. Woohoo. He checked out my car when he got home and said that a radiator hose had busted...

That is great and all, but what caused all of the other crap. Bad idle, sparks, not starting, cold air from the vent??????

Help me please!!!!!
Old 12-14-2001, 05:29 AM
pikey7
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm no expert, but it sounds like the Spark plugs are grounding out in the wron place or so!!!

Have you checked the leads, and the coil to make sure nothing has come off / shorted out or so??
Old 12-14-2001, 09:06 AM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jonathan, just another vote for Mike's plug wire theory.

Porche's wires are pretty durable, bu over time, the insulation cracks. Throw several 10K's of voltage thu a dry cracked wire, you're OK. Add moisture, you get jumps from the wire to ground. Makes a pretty good show in the dark....and a no-start or poor-running condition.

The "no heat" symptom makes me guess you'd been leaking coolant already, and were low thereuopn. You finally got things warm enough to have a catastrophic failue where there' maybe been small leak before.

Fix the hose; check all others (same age? similar lives....). refill, purge air, let us know...

If all is OK, invest in a new set of plug wires & maybe a cap & rotor.

Jim, exams done, grades in, today's a "social" day at 'work'....
Old 12-14-2001, 11:28 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude that's to bad. At least Kathy's dad was there to help ya. I guess I will have to meet her when I get back. It looks like she is getting pretty permanant
Old 12-14-2001, 11:46 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds like a plan Jim. I'll do it this weekend. And yes, it was a pretty nice blue light show. Sounds like you have seen it before.

Mike-Pretty permanant... We'll talk when we get back from the states...
Old 12-14-2001, 12:53 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jon check your email
Old 12-14-2001, 01:49 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One more vote the plugwires.

If it is the lower hose think about a new thermostat since you are in there.

Be sure and bleed your coolant system after you replace the radiator hose.

Quick Reply: Mein wasserrohr ist KAPUT!!! (radiator hose,ahhh!!)