Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy Questions ;) - kevlar timing belt...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:34 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I had read that they only make one belt with kevlar (timing ?)and so the other belt(balance shafts ?) will need replacing sooner anyway, so not much point until they make both in kelvlar. Is that the situation as I am unsure if this true
peace
Cyberpunky
Old 06-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Gawernator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on replacing coolant hoses... I'd do most/all of them at once. otherwise it's like this: Leak starts, replace leaking part. 3 months later, new leak... etc etc lol. Might as well replace the heater control valve too if it's original while you're at it... betcha you'll find a bunch of gunk and white filmy residue on the inside
Old 06-19-2013, 10:48 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

my Gates belt came off with 61 k miles and 3 years.

it was pristine. looked like it could go 61 K miles more.

the lower radiator hose is under the most stress/heat/vibrations.

change them often.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:52 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by XrussianX
I'm actually about to get the belts changed with the WP. Anything else u guys recommend replacing "while we're in there"

the pullies, tensioner and H20 pump should all be changed.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:42 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've collated all $14k worth of service records from previous owners.
Longest water pump life was 159k miles over 17 years on a LASO OEM pump.
4 Gates Timing Belts over that period.
As far as the KevBelt, Audizine has a good thread of discussion and findings.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:23 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
^^^^

Probably not hurt a thing. Porsche uses that as a way to insure against 99% of failures - even those driven hard. But you might want to check the tension. Just sayin ',
The comment was partially in jest. I'm not worried about the belt lasting till fall. Not only will that only be about 3.5 years but up until this last month the car was only driven a few times a week for 6 months a year. If it does give out, I guess it will just pave the way for an engine swap.

I do plan to visually inspect the belt and check tension soon.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:47 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Originally Posted by XrussianX
U guys make the 944 sound like a 348. Is it really every 3 years for the belts? I was under the impression the 4 banger would hold up quite a bit longer then the Italian v8's
Just like the Ferrari, the belt is not the issue. Everything the belt touches is where the problem is.

If you trust the WP, tensioner and associated roller, the belt will be just fine.

If I ever put my 944S back together I'll be using the stronger belt.
Why?
Insurance from a water pump locking up. It may buy you a few minutes to realize something is wrong before the belt snaps. It's a long shot but with the $$$ in my book.

On that note I go 5 years on the belts in the 355.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:14 AM
XrussianX
Pro

Received 395 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
the pullies, tensioner and H20 pump should all be changed.
That's exactly what I'm replacing.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:21 AM
XrussianX
Pro

Received 395 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Just like the Ferrari, the belt is not the issue. Everything the belt touches is where the problem is.

If you trust the WP, tensioner and associated roller, the belt will be just fine.

If I ever put my 944S back together I'll be using the stronger belt.
Why?
Insurance from a water pump locking up. It may buy you a few minutes to realize something is wrong before the belt snaps. It's a long shot but with the $$$ in my book.

On that note I go 5 years on the belts in the 355.
Ah ok.... It's always the damn water pump. Either way the maintence is not even close to what the older Italians cost. I was looking at a 348 before I bought the 951 and I wasn't that impressed. The Porsche felt like it was better built, and performance was pretty similar.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:33 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
The comment was partially in jest. I'm not worried about the belt lasting till fall. Not only will that only be about 3.5 years but up until this last month the car was only driven a few times a week for 6 months a year. If it does give out, I guess it will just pave the way for an engine swap.

I do plan to visually inspect the belt and check tension soon.

I felt that you were . I was really commenting more on how the time was arrived at by Porsche.

Heck I dont hold mine to exactly 3 years either . But hopefully sometime that year , or the next. Mine doesnt see many miles a year any more, and who knows it may never break 100,000 miles . Well not while I am around anyway . But I do change it because on those rare times I push it some I want to know it is good. As Hacker says, it could give me a few moments to shut it down if something does happen, I hope.

When I had the car apart a couple of years ago I did find significant erosion in some of the reinforced hoses. Even some that had been replaced and not had much mileage on them. But just time and heat worked on them. A couple of them I had to pay cha ching $$ for and send home to Germany to get.

I also went ahead and put in new coated rod bearings. My number 2 looked great when it came out. Darn it. It probably didnt need it I was thinking.

Not too long later I went for a old car run with some of buddies. One of them in a Vette and my 951 started galloping. I had to wind it up to stay close with him. I missed a shift too which hasnt happened in I cant even remember when. The revs were already up so it went high. A legit oh no moment ensued as I waited for the worst with a spun bearing and other damage. Nope ... nothing. So we went back to our run. I was sure GLAD then that those new bearings were in there.

Same with the belts , pulleys, hoses, seals, etc. I could get in the car and drive it to see Hacker or Doug or Gretch or Od tomorrow with out any idea of a breakdown. That is a good thing in our older cars.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:01 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

the most stress on the belt is startup during the winter, then cold-engine idling, then warm engine idling, strartup during the summer, high rpm, and finally medium rpm - in descending order,

about.

Last edited by odurandina; 06-20-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I always wondered why belts are such a cause for concern on this car only (it seems that way at least...).

My audi has an interference V6. Belts are made by the same manufacturer, with nerely identical design (save for length of the V6 belt) and the factory recommends 60,000 miles (with a tension setting that's damn near as "precise" as what the 944s "require"). Right now it has ~41000 miles and the belt still look great. I'm not saying there was something wrong with the factory recomendation back in the 1980s, but I think it's a little off course using todays current product.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:01 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone for the responses. TR, great looking ride, I have the tan interior with dark dash, need to get a rear cargo area mat as mine looks like it got washed with blue jeans!

Couple more questions. I keep hearing modified water pump (what is this, the newer Porsche version for newer 951's?) and people saying water pumps only last 50-60,000 miles. This would seem to indicate that 50-60,000 with current belts might be the limit. Are there better water pumps (aftermarket) that go farther? Just curious if there was a better water pump and Kevlar timing belt if you could go farther without changing. Since nobody else has brought it up, I imagine it isn't an option, but I had to ask.

So when I take it in I assume I have at least these new items installed:
New Seals (which ones, main engine shafts?)
Water pump
Timing Belt and other belts
Belt Tensioner bearings
Radiator/coolant water hoses.

While they are in there is there anything else they should be doing?

TexasRider, you mentioned joining RL? but stay away from another one (Porsche Club of America or sumptin?). What exactly are they and benefits, or is it just supporting the community? Just curious.

Thanks again everyone, seems like a warm welcoming community.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

There is an "updated" waterpump that has two mounting studs. A metal guard mounts to them to separate the belt, as that is where it is closest to itself. Only updated waterpumps are availalbe anymore, as most old castings have been discarded.

I replace my waterpumps based on inspection. Play in the pulley, leakage from the pulley shaft, or leakage from around the housing itself. I have pulled off waterpumps that had ~50-60k miles, and they had minimal shaft play, and weren't leaking.

Don't know of any aftermarket pumps, but be careful of who you buy rebuilt pumps from. Zims and Paragon are two sources that offer good pumps.

For front engine seals, you'll have front crankshaft seal, both balance shaft seals (plus o-rings and mylar seals), and the camshaft oil seal (plus o-ring and mylar seal). There is also an o-ring inbetween the washer and the oil pump drive gear (behind the timing belt gear on the crankshaft).
Old 06-20-2013, 02:17 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

No - P &C is Politics and Controversy - which is in the Off Topic Forum here on RL . You cant see it and other Forums as you are not a Member . Things like to Member to Member sales too you cant see until you are a member.

Stay with Porcshe parts is my recomendation. Not long ago I replaced the under hood heat shield pads. Yes I used the original Porsche parts as I just did on the dash panel too. There were some cheaper alternatives. But both of those original parts on my car lasted for 28 years. That ought to be about good enough. It is for me anyway. And you know what else - they went on perfectly.

There is a timing belt and water pump kit . It comes with rollers and etc in it and the other belts too. There is a front seal kit that comes with all you need. Get a good independent Porsche shop to do the work this time while you figure out what you can do next time and going forward too. They'll know what to do and can help you in choices as they know what works .

As far as the Porsche Club of America - PCA it is good too. Most of the guys are a bit biased to the 911 but dont let that stop you . If you outrun them on track day, they will just smile and hate you .

Quick Reply: New Guy Questions ;) - kevlar timing belt...