Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 06:32 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bs:
<STRONG>the kit on pelican is a hella headlight with a 55/100 watt bulb... is that what you have tabor?</STRONG>
No. That is not legal. You must use a 55/60 if you want it to be legal (I use a 55/60).

Edit- I am not bashing illegal lights. I just choose to stay legal for now.
Old 01-16-2002, 06:58 PM
bs
Pro

Lightbulb

ice:

well, i'm not really interested in a kit; i don't think i'd have any trouble getting wire, switches, relays, etc. I am interested in your bulbs, and i'm curious about the headlight/reflectors... why are you trying to sell them instead of just identifying the source? are you getting them wholesale or through some sketchy non-public source that lets you sell them near retail at a profit? I can't see any reason to have you order something and have it shipped to you and then ship it again to me if i could just order it myself to start with.

do you know of any source for info about those cibie lights? their web page seems to be in japanese or something. is that a "bolt in" replacement for the oem sealed beam lights?

tabor, yeah, i rechecked and the 100w bulbs are an option you can pay more for... but is that hella reflector the one you use that you complain cannot be adjusted properly?
Old 01-16-2002, 11:20 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ben, yes, I am getting the parts wholesale. It will be tough for you to even find quality parts in small quantities.

I have posted lens sellers before so you may as well use them rather than giving a fellow Rennlister the business. I'm about ready to give up!
Old 01-17-2002, 01:18 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by bs:
<STRONG>tabor, yeah, i rechecked and the 100w bulbs are an option you can pay more for... but is that hella reflector the one you use that you complain cannot be adjusted properly?</STRONG>
Yes, that is the Hella Vision Plus. It is far better than stock, but I wish high/low beams were a little closer together.
Old 01-17-2002, 04:23 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sharky-

I just got my computer up and running a few days ago, and have meant to e-mail or call you- I got your e-mail. Anyway, I am still interested as well- if you can remember our conversation I'll try to get in touch in the next few days to try to work something out. BTW, in answer to your question about the higher dollar set-up that you mentioned- I don't think there would be much interest in them at that price- of course, I'm sure you've picked up on this by now. I would still like to work out something better than the average kits out there, that does include wiring and such (like we spoke about), and would think that others would be interested as well. I could be wrong though- you know how much more important looking cool is than actually seeing anything I'm more interested in a kit that takes care of the wiring, as well as nice, high powered bulbs, that gives me a noticeable upgrade in lighting and good bang for the buck...

Thanks for the post and all of your efforts- you have definately helped me learn a lot about the lighting situation- if not for you, I would have already been ripped off several times...
Old 01-17-2002, 10:27 AM
keith
Drifting

IceShark - I'll buy your kit.

Let me know if you can get it together with the general lack of interest aside from myself.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:19 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Ok, Keith. I'll put together a few kits for you and Robby and wait a bit to see if a couple others are interested. Let's say 5 is the trigger point. In any event, I can get you most of the tough stuff to find in quality. I've got a few hundred overwatted bulbs in stock, but no extra lenses that are not spoken for. So far, none of the manufacturers have noticed this Customs issue so maybe I'm smoking Tabor's dope.

Which headlight would you like, the Hella Super or Cibie? Both are outstanding but if I am going to order a small lot I would just as soon stick to one brand. We may end up with a logistics/smuggling problem from Canada if we put this off too long (they are legal in Canada but Arab terrorists also like to drive over that border with stuff). I have mixed feelings on which lens to use as both are great, I have Cibie in my cars.

So let me know and maybe some interest will pick up with other posters.

Robby, so you got my e-mail? That is a shock since my ISP has pretty much screwed me up on all aspects. The import details of those HID lights was what tumbled me onto this Customs thing. And you are correct, 944 owners are the cheapest bunch of skinflints you will ever run into. The two extremes, rice-boys and old Porsche skinflints.

RiceBoys go crazy with blue and purple bulbs and bring the whole house down. Porsche guys are too cheap and stoopit to get out of the way. LOL!
Old 01-17-2002, 12:52 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think part of the problem w/Porsche owners is that they have to spend so much $$$ getting BS things fixed that shouldn't have broken in the first place, and they get bent over every time- then, when it's time to do some mods, they remember the previous situations, and are afraid of getting screwed again. Most of us bought our 951's b/c we were led to believe they were the baragain performance, near-exotic of the century (by the BS magazines) and are, unfortunately, finding out that they either intentionally ripped us off, or were smoking some of this green stuff you keep referring to Either way, we are the one's paying the price now. Hell, I bought a $45K car that was 12 years old for $9k, AFTER the previous two owners had already worn it out for me- now, I've spent more than $9k just keeping it running for the last two years, and haven't really done mod #1- now, I'm scared to do anything w/out first doing a basic engine rebuild for fear of something else breaking

I'll go w/whatever bulbs you recommend, but I'll want to discuss the wattage issue w/you one more time, to decide that, as well as iron out the rest of the details...
Old 01-17-2002, 01:31 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Ok, Robby.

But for the rest of the readers, you want these bulbs because they are a nice tradeoff in output v. life. When you go up to 130 watt you will probably get 40 hours out of it. That is actually longer than you would think, but is still short.

The 90/100 bulbs I have should run at least 200 hours on low beam. The average car runs 3,000 hours to get to 100,000 miles. And we have daylight when most of us are moving around. So the 200 hour life isn't as short as you would first suspect, given the real world.
Old 01-17-2002, 05:53 PM
keith
Drifting

the Hella Super and Cibie are both E-code?

If so, and both are outstanding, then the CHEAPER one!
Old 01-17-2002, 06:14 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Yes, they are both fine E-Code lights. It will be more an issue of delivery dates than cost, unless twenty dollars is going to kill you. Hella is talking 8 to 12 weeks delivery! LOL! The DOT war will be on full ration mode by then. Let me see how things stand on Monday afternoon.
Old 01-18-2002, 06:44 PM
Exotic HorsePower
Advanced

I am currenty developing a XEON HID head light upgrade kit for all 944/924 applications. There will be two kits available. Stage 1 kit, which run at 4300k, will emit a very white light. The stage 2 kit is the same exact system found on the European Le man Race cars, which will run at 6000k vs. the 4300k of a Stage I kit. Both Stage 1 and Stage 2 sytems will be true HID, not blue painted H4s. I will have more details on our web site as soon as we are done.

Exotic HorsePower
Old 01-18-2002, 07:00 PM
Rog
Advanced

How are you intending to deal with the two differing focal point placement requirements for the high and low beam modes (no problem on separate bulbs like H1/H7 or 9006 etc, but a bite on combo bulbs like 9004 or H4 etc)

Even with a remotely adjustable output ballast (to control hi/lo brightness) you still have a giant problem in that you can only place the bulb for correct alignment to correctly project one pattern (hi or lo). I've seen several HID systems where, though the color was different, the output was a bit less than a plain bulb, and a lot less than a high output (80-100w) conventional bulb.

Will the arc/element be vertical or horizontal in this application?

Not trying to give you grief, I'm just looking for the right HID source. I'd be thrilled if it had arrived. (I know of about one vendor that seems to have this down well, but even they don't address H4 owners -- too bad, my, and many other peoples) vintage and modern motorcycles use H4s and have weak elec systems. Thus, the bikes could benefit even more than our cars)

Roger 'keeping his fingers crossed for a good H4/HID/hi-lo source' Albert
Old 01-18-2002, 07:16 PM
Exotic HorsePower
Advanced

Even with a remotely adjustable output ballast (to control hi/lo brightness) you still have a giant problem in that you can only place the bulb for correct alignment to correctly project one pattern (hi or lo).
Both the Stage 1 and Stage 2 kits you will loose the use of High beams. On our test car (91 944S2 Cab.) we are going to use the European driving lights (next to the fog lights on a 951 and 944S2) for our High beams. They to will be HID.

Will the arc/element be vertical or horizontal in this application?

Horizontal.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:19 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Rog, Osram/Sylvania has a 7" round HID on the market called the Xenarc. HID Arc dipped beam and an H3 high beam in one lens. About $800 for the pair. Unfortunately, the seeing performance is about on par with a normal sealed beam.

Hella actually has some high/low beam HIDs out of one arc via a moving shield. I believe these are just development stage though and I doubt they will come out in 7" round as that market is so tiny now.

Quick Reply: Lighting