Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 03:20 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Lighting

I was told by a US Customs Officer that he has been informed by DOT (last week) to hold all imports of automotive lighting that doesn't have a DOT stamp on it. This is something new.

Don't know how this will play out but if you were thinking about a switch to something better, best course is to do it now in the event that the landscape actually does change.

Not sure how this affects bulbs since they are legit used in construction lights etc. Usually H-4s aren't used though. So, if anyone wants a few H-4 90/100 or H-3 100 watt bulbs I can sell them for $10 a pop, H-3s a bit less, plus the shipping (shipping at about actual rather than a whole 'nother profit center ).These are top drawer quality Phillips/Narva bulbs, not some junk Asian knockoffs.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:52 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not a lawyer, but how does that fall under DOT's jurisdiction? Non-DOT lights have MANY uses, not least off-road racing.

Also, if you have a friend in Europe you can always get them in the same way you get Maryjuana (sp?) in, mark the package "Human Remains". They have to let it through without searching it (Funny Post WWII law).

Or, mark the box "lights" and fill it with house hold lightbulbs (well, except for a few).
Old 01-16-2002, 04:02 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Tabor, I have to call you a dope again. If DOT puts out the word and Customs cuts down on import, life gets tougher. Doesn't end, gets tougher. So front run it if you were going to do it anyway, which was my post point as a service to readers.

As you seem interested in dope, we are not talking about how to get "IT", you can always get it, but how much you do you have to pay?
Old 01-16-2002, 04:10 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by IceShark:
<STRONG>As you seem interested in dope, we are not talking about how to get "IT", you can always get it, but how much you do you have to pay?</STRONG>
I don't buy Pot (Internationally or otherwise). But I know people who have friends in Europe and ship stuff over all the time (not pot, legal things). I was just giving some pointers.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:11 PM
Tabor
Drifting

BTW, IceShark. Thank You for the info.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:35 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

You are welcome, Tabor.

The funny thing is no one on this board seems to care given we are the only two talking and going off topic to dope smuggling ideas. Since the board is primarily North Americans, I guess the idea that North Americans are, in general, morons that don't care about headlights and seeing where they are going is true. And how General Motors was able to crush lighting standards down to such a **** poor level none of the rest of the World will accept. Just to save a couple bucks per car in cost.

But back to my original point, if you were thinking about doing something better do it now. This Customs memo is fairly unusual and is no doubt related to the anti-glare hearings NHTSA held last year. They are pretty slow to move, but when they do you better get out of their way.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:39 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I personally have some DOT approved Hellas (with relays). I hear there are better setups, but I wanted to stay legal (I have legal bulbs aswell). They are still WAY better than stock. I did notice that the Hella highbeam is kinda in a goofy place compared to the low beam.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:14 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Tabor, you probably have the Hella Vision Plus headlight. No one likes it and you noted one complaint, aiming dipped and high is impossible.

Pop a bit over a C-Note and get the Hella Supers or Cibie. You will be much happier. (I can get them for you at the moment.) These are E-Code which are legal in TheGreatWhiteNorth frozen land and in US for bikes. When everything shakes out, I think they will be legal for cars in US.

In the meantime, don't use blue "Hyper-white SuperDuper" asian bulbs. The word is now out and you are a sitting duck for an equipment violation and car search. You will be OK if you run E-Code lenses and the standard non-colored bulbs, which are better for seeing anyway.

As long as you have rewired, my suggestion would be to run the mentioned E-Code lenses with 90/100 watt bulbs. You will be at HID performance for a fraction of the cost and won't bother anyone, especially the cops.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:17 PM
keith
Drifting

yeah. I want E-code, too. Who has the deal on the parts?
Old 01-16-2002, 03:15 PM
bs
Pro

Lightbulb

alright, this topic of "what headlight upgrade is best" has come drifting by before, but it has never been resoved to my satisfaction. I am a fanatic about light since i do a lot of driving in areas where the upper limit on speed at night has less to do with other traffic (there is little) or the handling of my car (more than sufficient for taking 20 mph curves at 45 or 50) and a lot more to do with how far away i could spot a deer and stop in time.

however, i've been putting off my light upgrade until i had enough money to do it right. however, it sounds now like maybe i shouldn't wait, so here are my questions for you who are so wise in the ways of lighting upgrades:

1) ice: what setup are you running now?

2) what is "e code"? is it a beam pattern specific to certain reflectors or is it a light type specific to a certain bulb or what? what advantages does it have and why is it not DOT approved?

3) Pelican has an upgrade kit that allows the use of an H4 bulb instead of the oem sealed beam halogens... this kit is DOT approved, right?

4) are the things that will become difficult to get now just h4 bulbs then?

5) are h3 the bulbs for our oem fog lights?

6) you say the "word is out" on "asian hyper white" bulbs. does this mean it's now illegal to have blue painted headlight bulbs? i'm running PIAA ultra whites in my ford and the color is only barely discernable from ordinary halogens. what are the pigs looking to bust us for? i still see an awful lot of blue headlight hondas around here.

7) anyone know of a good resource for buying approved and non-approved bulbs/reflectors?

i guess that's it for now. sorry for the barrage but i guess it's time to get this near and dear issue straightened out once and for all.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:20 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Keith, I have had an open offer to put together a kit on E-Code headlamps with first rate materials rather than Radio Shack junk. No interest other than one or two posters.

General Motors is correct: North Americans are, in general, morons that don't care if they can see at night. But they will spend $70 for blue bulbs that don't work for crap to look kewl.

I've about given up trying to help people out on lighting.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:57 PM
Tabor
Drifting

IceShark,

I am not sure if your posts ever "helped" me with my lighting install (I had already read online how-to's), but they sure inspired me to actually do it.

Edit- You did help me, because you warned me about using low quality relays.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:11 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Ben, sorry if this doesn't format correctly but here is my opinion.

Ben: however, i've been putting off my light upgrade until i had enough money to do it right. however, it sounds now like maybe i shouldn't wait,

Ice: That is what I believe and why I warned the group. Really no one knows what has just happened. But as import shipments get held up the word will spread and prices will sky.

Ben: 1) ice: what setup are you running now?

Ice: Cibie headlights with 90/100 watt Narva bulbs. The Euro driving/fog lens on bumper ( I have a turbo S). With 100 watt in driving and 55 watt in fog. All wiring upgraded and lighting load taken off the car's stock electrical system. The lights get a higher voltage than the battery.

Ben: 2) what is "e code"? is it a beam pattern specific to certain reflectors or is it a light type specific to a certain bulb or what? what advantages does it have and why is it not DOT approved?

Ice: To answer this right would take a long time. E-Code is the European standard, like DOT. It is basically the lens and reflector that throws an amount of light at specific points, the bulb is the same in both standards. The big differences between DOT and E-Code is the very sharp cutoff in E-Code so you don't blind other drivers and DOT throws a ton of light up at the sky to illuminate unlit overhead signs on bridge overpasses. E-Code lights those signs up quite well but not as much as DOT. So the issue boils down to the beam pattern.

I can get away with running 90 watt dipped beams with E-Code and see great but if I tried that with DOT lenses I would blind people and cause crashes.

This is where the problem is arising. DOT lenses are crap, people are shoving in glaring and poor alternatives and causing all sorts of problems.

Ben: 3) Pelican has an upgrade kit that allows the use of an H4 bulb instead of the oem sealed beam halogens... this kit is DOT approved, right?

Ice: Maybe, maybe not. You have to be more specific. If it is DOT approved, you don't want it.

Ben: 4) are the things that will become difficult to get now just h4 bulbs then?

Ice: I don't know yet, but overwatted H-4s should be high on the list because they are not a construction industry standard for work lights. I think they will be hammered, which is why I was offering some for sale. Sort of a get 'em now, you can always use them but if they disappear, you have to go HID and pop tons of cash.

Ben: 5) are h3 the bulbs for our oem fog lights?

Ice: Yes. I can sell you some H-3 100 watt top line bulbs (Phillips/Narva) for $5 each, plus the shipping. But I don't think these will be hit as hard since they are common in work lights. In any event, get top line quality, the cheap asian bulbs don't put out the lumens and crap out early.

Ben: 6) you say the "word is out" on "asian hyper white" bulbs. does this mean it's now illegal to have blue painted headlight bulbs? i'm running PIAA ultra whites in my ford and the color is only barely discernable from ordinary halogens. what are the pigs looking to bust us for? i still see an awful lot of blue headlight hondas around here.

Ice: I think the landscape has just shifted in a major way. Depends on local laws as to if the lights are illegal. Those blue headlight Hondas are going to be Revenue Bait for most police forces.

Ben: 7) anyone know of a good resource for buying approved and non-approved bulbs/reflectors?

Ice: Sure, I got some.

i guess that's it for now. sorry for the barrage but i guess it's time to get this near and dear issue straightened out once and for all.

--------------------

-Ben
'87 951
'95 ford contour + $3k stereo
Old 01-16-2002, 04:49 PM
bs
Pro

Smile

ice:

thank you very much for clarifying all those points.

so from what you have said, it sounds like my ideal setup would be: E-code reflector with overwatted h4 bulbs.

the kit on pelican is a hella headlight with a 55/100 watt bulb... is that what you have tabor?

so, ice, you have extra cibie headlights and overwatted bulbs to sell? or do you just have the bulbs? what are you asking for each?
Old 01-16-2002, 04:58 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Ben, in my current stock I just have the bulbs. I can get the headlights, Cibie or Hella, but I wanted to put together a kit that included relays, wiring, switches, etc.

If you want, I can get you the lens/headlight for about the cheapest cost, which will be a bit over $100 for the pair, provided suppliers haven't reacted to the DOT/Customs memo. Which I don't think they have.

And as I noted earlier, I have the 90/100 Phillips/Narva H-4 bulbs for $10 a copy, plus very minimal shipping. The H-3 at 100 watts are $5.

Tom R. can attest to what I sell is accurate and fair. Still haven't cashed his check ... so that will be another reconcilling item this month, Tom.

Quick Reply: Lighting