Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got hit while parked...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:09 AM
Mark924S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got hit while parked...

So I had a truck back into the front driver corner of my 951 today. Took out the headlight assembly header panel and drivers fender tore the bumper cover, the bumper it self doesnt look like it moved at all I dove the car home no issues i could see but i may need a new coolant resevior too it has some streesing on it. I just finished putting a good amount of money into it too, but regardless. I was wondering if any body has a rough idea how high the insurance company would go before they just total it. I'm not worried about being covered as I have a police report with fault placed on the other driver, and I have full coverage. I don't know if anyones delt with it before but i was also wondering if anybody ever tracked down used parts for the repair shop to use? If anybody else has been through this any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'll post a picture asap
Old 06-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine wrecked is '86 Turbo and bent the frame and they wanted to total it and give him $7k. He had more than that into it. He worked with the insurance company and convinced them to just pay him (not sure if he got the whole $7k or not but I think he did). Then, he worked with a body shop, paying cash. The body shop sourced used parts (most will). As I recall one or two used parts came in and weren't really good enough to use so they had to find more. Its not as easy a process as with a new car but still probably worth it if your car isn't structurally damaged.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

I recently had an issue with the passenger fender. Mine was limited to the fender an allignment and some blending on the door. The fender is $1,500 or so new. That was the major expense. I think it was about $2400 that I got a settlement check for.

I was able to source a used fender from Lart. Total cost was around $1,000 to get it all done. I think if you can get the estimate under $3k, it would surprise me if they tried to total your car. Once you get over $3.5K, I would start to get worried they may want to total it and you will have to defend the value.

I had agreed value insurance on mine and knew my insurance company would help if they tried to say the damage was $2k so it needs to be totaled.

Sorry about the accident and hope it works out for you.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Mangonesailor
Racer

I was rear-ended in my old '86 which caused the rear quarter-panels to buckle in a little. They were also going to replace my exhaust system and they were talking about a possible paint job. However they ended up totalling it. $7200 is what they paid me (Purchased for $5300) with about $8200 in damages.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but, it's information none the less.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:16 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

In my experience as long as you have good name brand insurance there is more than one way to skin a cat and come out on top with your car intact. As long as the main frame isn't bent bad, and your rennlist brothers are behind you, nothing is impossible.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:52 AM
turbodave
Instructor

" there is more than one way to skin a cat and come out on top with your car intact" -F40LM

I got rear ended in my early '85 back in 2003 and went through the same thing. Low speed impact, less than 10 MPH. Her bumper hit just below the right rear tail light. Not a lot of damage, tail light, bumper extension and paint. Didn't even buckle the fender. But because it put about a 3 inch wide dent in the rear panel just below the tail light they wanted to total it. They said it was because of the labor cost and parts availability of the panel. I said bull**** and told them I was turning it over to my insurance co.(USAA) and that they could deal with them. About 2 hours after I called USAA I got a call from the offending insurance co. offering $8500 (high KBB) as a settlement. I said fine, but you have sell it back to me for $1500 AND NO CHANGE OF TITLE. Meaning no salvage title or no deal. They didn't like it but they took my counter offer. I took the car to the Porsche dealership in OKC, who did a fantastic job of replacing the panel and matching the paint for $2100. A couple of weeks after I got the car back, I pulled up a Carfax on it and the title and everything was good. The only thing that pissed me off was it said it had been in a major accident when it was only a small fender bender. Most people I suspect would have just replaced the tail light and maybe the plastic bumper trim. The dent wasn't that noticeable. They make it sound like it was in a 4 car pile-up. It still pisses me off. But that's OK, I've had it for over 25 years and I doubt I'll ever sell it!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:37 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turbodave
" there is more than one way to skin a cat and come out on top with your car intact" -F40LM

I got rear ended in my early '85 back in 2003 and went through the same thing. Low speed impact, less than 10 MPH. Her bumper hit just below the right rear tail light. Not a lot of damage, tail light, bumper extension and paint. Didn't even buckle the fender. But because it put about a 3 inch wide dent in the rear panel just below the tail light they wanted to total it. They said it was because of the labor cost and parts availability of the panel. I said bull**** and told them I was turning it over to my insurance co.(USAA) and that they could deal with them. About 2 hours after I called USAA I got a call from the offending insurance co. offering $8500 (high KBB) as a settlement. I said fine, but you have sell it back to me for $1500 AND NO CHANGE OF TITLE. Meaning no salvage title or no deal. They didn't like it but they took my counter offer. I took the car to the Porsche dealership in OKC, who did a fantastic job of replacing the panel and matching the paint for $2100. A couple of weeks after I got the car back, I pulled up a Carfax on it and the title and everything was good. The only thing that pissed me off was it said it had been in a major accident when it was only a small fender bender. Most people I suspect would have just replaced the tail light and maybe the plastic bumper trim. The dent wasn't that noticeable. They make it sound like it was in a 4 car pile-up. It still pisses me off. But that's OK, I've had it for over 25 years and I doubt I'll ever sell it!
Great example of what I was thinking about.

michael
Old 06-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

I let the body shop deal with the insurance company.
They know how to get the most out of them without a total for minor damage. Twice I've had to deal with this, and when personally dealing with the insurance, they just want to total it, not due to the damage, but because it's an "old car".
Old 06-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Mark924S
Advanced

thanks guys, really appreciate the input, hopefully I'll hear back today on the verdict. I plan on buying back regardless unless they want some astronomical amount (over 2500) I only paid 4500 for the car. like I told my agent and the other parties agent i really don think its bad, the front cor support and bumper support werent shifted and the hood although crinkled in the edge still shuts perfectly. Any how fingers crossed, I'll report back whatever happens, I just really don't want to buy another one I like mine! I would really like NOT to have a salvage title as DOTing a car for a rebuilt title is BRUTAL in NY. but I digress, thanks again everyone
Old 06-14-2013, 12:54 PM
16valver
Racer

I had both those areas hit on my car on separate occasions (finder and nose panel). Granted, the S uses NA fenders which are cheaper to mess with. The insurance money I got from both those added up to just under $2400.

I would imagine in your case it will be a bit more since its a turbo and there may be some internal stuff to be bent back plus the hood. I doubt they'll total it. From what I understand, an insurance company will take the make and model of the car, search for local values of the same car, average them out and use that to determine what yours is worth. I'm fairly sure they never are able to see what you paid for it. Good luck man, we all hate dealing with this stuff...
Old 06-17-2013, 04:44 AM
Nolan Santacruz
AutoX

Last night my car got hit while parking.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:10 PM
Mark924S
Advanced

well I don't exactly understand why its being totalled but they are giving me 13400 for the car, and a buy back of 1400, I think after i buy it back i should have enough change to repari and full paint? whats a good paint job running these days any way?
Old 06-21-2013, 12:28 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

a good paint job is around 3-5k depending on what your looking for. I've seen good ones even at 2k, just check out the shops work before you commit so you get an idea if they'll produce your desired outcome. Thats a good some of money....I need to wreck my car lol.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:20 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark924S:10554784
well I don't exactly understand why its being totalled but they are giving me 13400 for the car, and a buy back of 1400, I think after i buy it back i should have enough change to repari and full paint? whats a good paint job running these days any way?
Holy crap...13400?

Dear Santa,

I want someone to hit my car while parked for Christmas.

Michael
Old 06-21-2013, 02:10 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark924S
I had an old f150 get rear ended and the outcome was similar. Smaller numbers, but similar. I ended up fixing the truck and profiting nearly what I paid for it to begin with. The icing on the cake was that Iowa doesn't salvage title cars after a certain age. You only need to do a damage disclosure when selling. I kept the paperwork and showed the next owner what happened. Like me, he didn't care.

Quick Reply: Got hit while parked...