Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking to buy 944. base, turbo or s2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:57 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i test drove two turbos (86 and 88). they are pretty slow by today's standards. not much below 3k rpm as others have said.

never interested in the base as i don't find they attractive. hope i don't offend anyone. plus, they are mostly really beat up, selling around $3k.

i ended up buying an S2 cab. very reliable car once you fix it up. power is about the same as the older turbos but obviously more linear. i do love the turbo look.

i have been contemplating selling my S2 cab. if anyone is looking for a very clean example that has been loved and maintained, i would probably let it go as i bought it as a project car but fixed everything in the first month! car has around 92k miles only and full papers / manual / records since day 1!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:46 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree that the turbos are a bit tough to drive around town and a bit tougher to work on, but please don't give me this turbos are unreliable mess. I have had my turbo for over 10 years now and it has required a lot of work, but all items done would need to be done to any 944 series car. The fact is that you really have to love these cars to own them. They are not cheap to maintain and require constant tlc, but I still can't think of a better all around car. It's fast, stable at speed, stops very well, is extremely forgiving, and has a great ride for a sports car. It is also extremely comfortable.

As for the quote of dropping a few gears and losing your license, this is so true! When I first bought my car I was cruising down the interstate at 65 and tried to merge, no one would let me over. I rolled into the throttle in 5 th to merge and I glanced at my speedo as I was slowing down and caught myself speeding severely. Just as I glanced in my rear view mirror to see a highway patrol officer coming up on me. Morale of the story is if you are not used these cars they will get you in trouble before you know it.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a turbo and an S2. For everyday driving, I prefer the S2. Easier to drive, especially in an urban environment. The turbo lacks punch in the lower RPM's. Also, the S2 is easier to work on. If you want a lot of power potential, go with a turbo. Every day driving, and a car that will out perform the turbo in autocross, the S2 is the answer. On the track, the S2 has the advantage on a tight course, the turbo has more straight away potential. It depends on what you want to do with the car. Don't forget the 968. Great car, just newer, a little more expensive, and I do know where one might be for sale. Not my car. An acquaintance, who is also a Rennlister.

Quick Reply: looking to buy 944. base, turbo or s2?