Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DANGER: MY 944 IS A VAMPIRE! YOURS MAY BE TOO! READ THIS...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001 | 10:02 AM
my944
Pro

Angry DANGER: MY 944 IS A VAMPIRE! YOURS MAY BE TOO! READ THIS...

Here is the strangest thing that has EVER happened to me while working on any car. I had my seats out and was in hour 6 of retrofitting a 968 rear package shelf in to hold a pair of subs and putting and a/d/s amp under the passenger seat. My wife came home and sat in the car and we were just chatting. It was it really hot, even though we were in the garage, because the sun was beating through the open door. My wife turns and asks if I was having a cigarette. I look at her cross-eyed “NO!”. “Well, what is that smoke coming from”. I look behind be and see that the rear part of my headliner is smoking and a part of it is MELTING! She grabs some water and I start ripping it off. I think the fire is out, turn to take the water from her, and BANG, ITS REALLY ON FIRE!!! I dump the water on it, and it’s out. Then I look everywhere to see what the heck started it. I can’t figure it out until I see a very bright white tiny circle on it. I put my hand there and it burned like a SOB! THE SUN WAS COMING THROUGH THE OPEN HATCH GLASS AT SUCH AN ANGLE THAT IT WAS BEING MAGNIFIED ENOUGH TO BURN! Well, the lesson is learned: you cannot work on a Porsche in direct sunlight or it’s going to pull a Vampire move and burn up! I just had to share that story. Does anybody have the rear part of the headliner for sale?!?!
Old 08-27-2001 | 10:16 AM
MadMax
Pro

Wow! Now that's a story. Sorry to hear about your headliner.

So, the 968 rear package tray will fit into the coupes as well as the Cabriolets?

Where did you find yours? I am looking for one for my S2 Cabriolet. I want to get rid of the rear seats and use the package tray (same purpose as yours).

Any info would be appreciated.

I would check out Partsheaven and/or 944ecology.com for the headliner. I bet one of them will have it.

Regards,
Max
Old 08-27-2001 | 10:25 AM
my944
Pro

Thumbs up

Hey Max,

There is a black one on Ebay right now. I actually know the shop that is selling it. E-mail me at "jeremy.donefer@ubspainewebber.com" if you want his name and number. I bought a set of 968 door panels from him so I could mount a/d/s seperates in them. Great guy. The shelf needs some slight modifications to fit perfectly. I'll post some pics when the project is done.
Old 08-27-2001 | 11:13 AM
rangelica
Advanced

I have a friend who for about 4 or 5 days out of 7 he would get into his car after work, and it looked like someone took a lighter abd burned his headliner. After some time he finally figured it out that the sun was comming through the windshield and reflecting off a CD that at times he would leave on the console, it would reflect up and burn a nice long stripe on his interior roof. Luckly it never caught fire, but somthing to be aware of.

Rick
Old 08-27-2001 | 01:06 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Wink

My wife used to have a Nissan 200SX (I hated that car, traded it the day after we got married). I took the car to Vegas once, and left it in the parking lot while I played a round of golf. It was a really hot day, somewhere around 115F. After sitting all day in the sun, when I returned, the car was extremely hot inside, and in the very back, below the hatchback, the sun had melted a hole the size of a silver dollar through the sole of a pair of her shoes.
Old 08-27-2001 | 01:31 PM
Cobbs
Instructor

This is natures way of repaying you for burning ants with a magnifying glass when you were a kid.

Shame on you!

Old 08-27-2001 | 04:21 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Similar question...

I noticed on my 924 S and with my new 89 944 na...

On the center consol, where the shifter is, there is a small round indent that looks like is was melted with a hot rounded end and pressed it. I noticed several of these back when I had the 924 S, and a few during the time I owned it. I would get in my car, and be like "That wasn't there!!!" and think I was going nuts. Well one "appeared" in my 944 on the right side...

Anyone have the same problem? Maybe something is melting it?

-Matt
Old 08-27-2001 | 06:02 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Jeremy-
Remember that sub box is wood. Keep it out of that sun!!

Scott
'86 951
Old 08-31-2001 | 12:34 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jeremy,

What color do you need for the rear headliner section? I have a burgandy one that is pretty good(has a small 1/2 nick and the leather is a little detached around the passenger sunroof arm--not torn could be re-glued) which I will let go for CHEAP+shipping. Let me know.

Eric
Old 09-04-2001 | 05:48 PM
my944
Pro

Thumbs down

Thanks anyway, Eric, but I need a black rear headliner.

Quick Reply: DANGER: MY 944 IS A VAMPIRE! YOURS MAY BE TOO! READ THIS...