Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 04:02 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car Alarm?

Does Anybody know what all components are in the factory alarm? I would like to install one in my 944 but the guy at the salvage yard doesn't know what all I'd need. I plan on rigging up a remote rather than drilling a hole behind the door where the factory alarm key goes. I was hoping that maybee one of you guys that have race preped and gone light weight might know because you've pulled it. Maybee one of you still have it laying around and are looking to part with it? I'm quite electrically literate and just need to know what all was in the factory setup.
Old 08-27-2001, 10:21 AM
MadMax
Pro

Roberto,
Do a search. There was a very extensive post on this topice not more than 2 months ago. I remember that in the post someone specifically listed all of the parts to the factory alarm system. You won't have to drill a hole in the side of your car either. Only early 944's had that goofy alarm with the external key. The alarm system on the late models was automatically armed and disarmed by locking/unlocking either door with the key.

IHTH,
Max
Old 08-27-2001, 12:01 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

My '87 has that "goofy" alarm lock drilled in the body. I didn't think '87 was considered early. Thought that only applied to '85.5 and earlier or am I wrong?
Old 08-27-2001, 12:21 PM
MadMax
Pro

No Dan you are correct and I stand corrected. I was under the (obviously incorrect) assumption that they stopped using the Ungo alarm system with the early models <85.5. Thanks for the correction.

Max
Old 08-28-2001, 01:13 AM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Alarm systems. I have a 1984 944, some minor mods. I inquired about using the factory alarm system. Two different Porsche experts told me not to bother. After ten of more years the system could very well malfunction and leave you stranded. The dash now sports a home brew flashing red LED in the radio grille (along with a voltmeter). It is operated from one of the "dummy switch" locations on the console(a great location for the additional gauges everybody seems to want these days). I turned it on at a car show and a guy giving out circulars wouldn't put one through the open window. I saw him and asked why. "That car is alarmed," he replied. "I don't want to set it off!!" He walked away, not knowing it was my car.

It's the same for home alarms. I have a whole house system; came with the house. The flashing green and red diodes are enough to scare off anyone (it works, but I could make a fortune selling dummy boxes with flashing lights!!!!!)

Just my 2 pfennigs worth..

Cheers!!

Bob S.

Porsche and Passat...German all the way!!

Quick Reply: Car Alarm?