Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much would a 951 clutch run?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 01:22 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Post How much would a 951 clutch run?

I was talking with a fellow-944 na owner here in town yesterday, and he told me he replaced his clutch with a 951 model. I'm thinking that would be a pretty good idea, since it's probably better at handling more power, and some day I may supercharge. Besides, mine is starting to make a rubbing noise just slightly when I let off the clutch and give gas.

Anyway, about how much do these run... or better yet should run? I'd like all you 951 owners' expertise so I don't get ripped off.

TIA
-Matt
Old 12-11-2001, 01:37 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He was probably referring to the "951-like" spring-centered replacement for the NA. I would go back in with a spring-centered as opposed to the rubber-centered.
Old 12-11-2001, 01:38 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

That sounds like what he said. Is that an upgrade part by Porsche, or aftermarket?

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2001, 02:00 PM
scular
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's pricey either way, I did mine recently I think with all the parts and tools around $600.
Old 12-11-2001, 02:34 PM
Greg Hammond
Racer

Check with Vertex for an actual price, but I think the estimate of $600 listed above is just about right. Stick with a Sachs brand clutch kit - around $600.

Spring-center is the only way to go. The downside to a spring-center is that you're going to get more clutch-feedback in the driveline - if you're not smooth with the foot action, the car is going to buck/react stronger to improper clutching technique. The rubber-center disc was originally designed to absorb some of the shock in the driveline to make a smoother shift transition.

Greg
Old 12-11-2001, 02:38 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the sachs clutch plate from vertex is 299 i believe

the packages start at 499
Old 12-11-2001, 02:51 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks, I'm pretty smooth on the clutch.

Question: I have heard that Vertex sucks. They take forever to ship, etc.... anyone else hear this? NOTE: This is a rumor and I'm not trying to make Vertex seem bad, but that's just what I heard from a few people who have ordered from them.

Does Paragon have what I need?

-Matt
Old 12-11-2001, 03:19 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
But of course...
Old 12-11-2001, 03:21 PM
Tabor
Drifting

<Flagrant Rumor>I have heard that Vertex is great for new parts, just stay away from any of their rebuilt parts.</Flagrant Rumor>

Matt: I think all you need to convert to the 951 clutch is a 951 flywheel.
Old 12-11-2001, 05:59 PM
Phantom
Intermediate

In regards to Vertex, be careful of the clutch packages they advertise. Ask if it includes a Sach's clutch disc. When I called in late spring of this year, I was told the package included an aftermarket disc and that a Sach's disc would cost extra.

As for Paragon, I was a little disappointed a couple of weeks ago. I called to get prices on some parts and they never called me back with the prices. As a result, I purchased the parts elsewhere. I had purchased about $1,000 in parts this year from them and was happy with their service. I have no malicious intent, just saying they lost the sale because of a phone call.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:26 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I say go for the Centerforce Dual-Friction clutch kit and never ever worry about the clutch again.
Old 12-11-2001, 09:23 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Danno - care to elaborate? What exactly is that compared to the others, why is it better/longer lasting, and where would one find it?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 12-13-2001, 08:34 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The previous owner of my 951 put in an updated "cup" clutch kit at 90K-miles right before I bought it. Not sure what was updated, but I think it has a stronger center with 4-springs instead of 6 or something like that. Anyway, with track-usage and drag-racing, it lasted about 40K miles.

When I replaced that, I was debating between the Kennedy Engineering lightweight aluminum pressure-plate with about 60% more clamping pressure. Or the Centerforce with 90% more clamping force. Both of these are stronger than any of the Porsche clutches. If I had time, I would have liked to order a lightweight flywheel as well, but didn't want to wait 4-5 more days.

So the Centerforce Dual-friction kit it was. They replaced all the bearings and the clutch-fork and everything's been great for the last 60K miles. My car has 100hp more the stock configuration which wore out the Cup clutch. The dual-friction disc is only about 50% worn and pedal feel is lighter than the Cup clutch (with almost twice the clamping force even). Even with clutch-dumping drag-race starts I can't hurt this thing.

I figured if you can break the Centerforce, then you've got 500hp+ and definitely need a custom-built clutch, or a 2/3-plate Tilton racing unit.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:20 PM
Greg Hammond
Racer

Regarding Vertex and clutches, prices, etc. Yes, they do indeed sell genuine Sachs clutch discs, and they also sell a clutch disc made by Ferodo that's under a tradename of "PowerFriction". At their recommendation, I opted for the less-expensive PowerFriction clutch in my 951 when doing the rebuild, and so far I am very impressed with it's performance. It's at least as good clamping as the Sachs disc that was in the car previously, and has MORE friction material on the disc when comparing it to a Sachs disc. How long with it last? I dunno - quite possibly forever with the way I drive my car.

Now, regarding Vertex and their service - I've dealt exclusively with "Sidney" whenever I call there, and I've always gotten top-notch service. Granted, I did buy about $8000 in parts from them over a six month period - so there was a certain "personal touch" involved. As for shipping, I always got my stuff on-time and never once got a wrong part delivered. Shipping is UPS Ground by default, and if you live in Cali - it's gonna take a week or 10 days, but that's UPS' fault, not the vendor. If you need it pronto, order it 2nd day or overnight, and pay through the nose. Shipping rates through Vertex do leave something to be desired, but everything came packed well and on-time, so I rarely griped about it.

My two cents' worth. The deserved favorable mention in my rebuild page. If you call them, ask for Sid and tell 'im that Greg from Maryland sent ya!

Greg
Old 12-14-2001, 04:32 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Don't forget about Pelican Parts!

Quick Reply: How much would a 951 clutch run?