Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rubbing compound

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 01:28 AM
johnmshaw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rubbing compound

My car although not near perfect in the body dep't does have a good shine all over except the driver door and back right fender. they are DULL. would buffing it with a rubbing compound add a little lustre? and if so any recommendations, tips etc...
Old 12-11-2001, 01:43 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Compound works wonders. My car was orange and extremely dull over 70% of the body, and 1 tub of $3.00 turtle-wax heavy duty rubbing compound, 5 hours, and a very stiff elbow later she came out a gleaming india red color. Unfortunately I got a little over-zealous and took it down to the primer on the lip for the rain gutter and the middle of the rear bumper (oops), but it is so little that only I would notice it. If you do compound, use light duty compound if your paint is just dull, not oxidized like mine was, and pay attention to edges so you don't remove the paint like I did. After you compound, use polish, and finish it off with a good wax. Also, you want to get the paint *really* clean before you compound or else you may severely scratch it...you may want to use a clay bar or something like that to remove crap that is bonded into the paint.

Good luck, and post pictures! You can see pictures of my car if you click on my homepage in my sig and there you will see that the rubbing compound did do what it is supposed to.
Old 12-11-2001, 02:09 AM
johnmshaw
Advanced

Ribs, thanks for the info , I have one dumb ?. whats a clay bar??? p.s. your site is great
Old 12-11-2001, 03:00 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depending upon the condition of your finish, rubbing compound may be a bit too harsh. If it's dull with a little shine (like it's got grease smears or dust), then polishing compound would be better (and quicker). Apply 1/2 teaspoon to your buffing wheel and water down with squirt bottle (I use a bicycling water-bottle). Buff with random pattern, keeping area completely wet at all times.

As the polishing compound gets used up, apply a refresher clump an continue. After 5-minutes per panel, all of the second batch should be used up. Rinse off with liberal water, clean & dry with clean towel and inspect shine. It should be awesome! If not, repeat one more time.

If it's not super shiny after the second try (remember to rinse off all the old compound), back up and use the rougher rubbing-compound (1 clump only). Then repeat twice again with polishing compound.

Rinse, dry and wax and you've got brand new paint job!
Old 12-11-2001, 12:04 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Clay bar is exactly what it sounds like...a small lump of clay that is used to remove surface impurities that have bonded to your paint. Most typically, tree sap, bug crap, and smog related deposits. Many of these are so small they cannot be seen with the naked eye and in fact you hardly notice them if you keep your car waxed. But after using the clay bar for the first time and then waxing the improvment you will feel by running your hand over the surface the improvement is amazing. Mequire's, Mother's and probably many others sell these "systems". Usually just the bar of clay and a spray bottle of lubricant - typically a "Quik Detailer" type of spray. Follow the directions - it couldn't be easier. But the clay bar DOES NOT remove oxidation. That is not what it is intended to do. It also removes any and all wax already on the car, so you (of course) must re-wax. If the car is left outside a lot then clay barring the surface may be necessary periodically depending on how dedicated a "waxer" you are. I'm a wax **** so I don't have to do it too often. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: rubbing compound