Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BUZZZZZZZZZZZ! What happened?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2001 | 10:14 PM
sd01
Intermediate

Red face BUZZZZZZZZZZZ! What happened?!?

Was removing the guage cluster from my 1984 944 and the signal relay started buzzing like crazy!

I took off the steering wheel, then removed the connections from the column switches and moved them out of the way...pulled out the cluster as far as I could and started pushing out the tach (was replacing the tach)...suddenly...BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! The signal relay making this ANNOYING noise, my signal light is on very faintly, but THE CAR IS OFF, no key in the ignition even!

Pull out the signal relay and it stops (ahhhhh). But I can't drive that way, legally .

So is it just the relay? I don't think it's the switch since the switch was disconnected. Should pulled the negative off the battery but it's too late now. Did I short something besides the relay?

And can I buy this relay at any old parts store?

DOH! Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-10-2001 | 01:06 AM
sd01
Intermediate

Arrow

Alright, went to a local parts store and picked up the flasher...went back to my 944 project. Plugged it in, connected the battery...hmm...no more buzzing. Turned the key on. Pop...fuse 6 blows out. I replace it. Later on, fuse 9 blows. Deciding to backtrack, I next put the old flasher in, replace some fuses, reconnect the battery. No buzzing...hmm. Nothing changed, with the exception of some fuses. But everything seems to work normally again. ??? Except now with the key out, you can flip the turn signal switch either way and the "open door" beeping comes on. That's not normal, is it?

So what was the problem yesterday...just a weak fuse? Weird. BTW, now my steering wheel "clicks" at certain points. Any ideas on that?
Old 12-10-2001 | 07:25 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

SD: major wiring problem.
Shorted somewhere or ground loops.
Check carefully befor you run this car: I favour my exhaust for smoke outlet ...

The clicking might be a part in the switch ***'y that is in the wrong position (spring popped off or so). The mechanism is returned to mid position when the wheel turns back. A lip is pushing on some plastic blocks that release the latch in the switch.
When removing the switch it is very easy to have the spring come off.
Be carefull and please disconnect the battery FIRST at any future occasion working on the electrics...
Old 12-10-2001 | 10:41 AM
TomH
Pro

Ditto what Hans said. Step one of your process should have been to disconnect the battery.

And yes, the behavior of the turn signals is normal. With the door open, and the key out, you will here the buzzer if you leave your signals in the left or right position.
Old 12-10-2001 | 09:37 PM
sd01
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info, guys! I'm going to check it all out again the next chance I get. It _seemed_ like everything is working normally now, but I'm not one to be convinced too easily...will keep an eye on it.
Old 12-11-2001 | 12:31 PM
Hans
Burning Brakes

SD
Make sure you find the short/wire trouble/ or whatever it was. Pay special attention to the red wires, they carry power, (switched as well as continuous).
You can find the wiring diagram for the early 944 on the Pelicanparts web site.
Make sure you find it, shortcuts do funny things under the dash, overheated wire insulation can fry uou quite easy.
Take care

Quick Reply: BUZZZZZZZZZZZ! What happened?!?