Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 04:35 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Shifting problem?

I just got my 86T with 85k on it... I have noticed something that might be strange when I shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. I can start in 1st no problem however if I go from first to second (clutch fully depressed) it seems as if I'm catching a spinning gear just a bit before I engage fully into second gear, the clutch is depressed fully the entire time. The same goes when i shift from 2nd to 3rd, sometimes I will "catch" a spinning gear. I assume the problem is me not being used to the car yet, only had it two days. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2001, 05:00 PM
Greg Hammond
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you describe sounds like bad synchros, or possibly the wrong type and/or insufficient quantity of gear oil in the transmission.

Check the tranny oil, and if in question regarding it's brand or age - replace it with standard mineral/dinosaur based 80W-90 gear lube. This might fix your issue all by itself.

If it's your synchros, you can help them and make the shift smoother by attempting to match engine speed to transmission speed by tapping the gas a bit right before you go into gear. It takes practice, but it s valuable skill to reduce tranny wear in the long-term.

Greg
Old 12-10-2001, 05:03 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First thing would be to change the fluid. I remember you *just* got this car (congrats!)... so it's time to find out what the PO did or did not do. Get some fresh stink in there and then judge the shifting.

I'll recommend a brand, but only if someone asks

Also, might be time to go over the easy yet troubling bits and pieces of other periodic maintenance. As with all older Porsches: fix first, drive later...

Good Luck!
Old 12-10-2001, 05:03 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

As far as I know, this is pretty common among our quirky gearboxes. It probably happens when the car is cold right? I recommend Swepco tranny fluid, it solves quite a few problems like the noisy deceleration when the revs are between 3000 and 2000, and your shifting problem (shifter kinda gets jiggly, the vibration feels a bit vague or disconnected right?). The only conclusion I have come to about these gearboxes is that "this is what you get when you stick a tranny that was intended for a fwd volkswagen in the back of a sports car". I have even heard of rebuilds solving few or none of the most popular "maladies".

"Take some swepco and call me in the morning"
Old 12-11-2001, 01:45 AM
Jon Hanson
Instructor

Hey, Skip, are there any brands that you recommend???

Old 12-11-2001, 02:05 AM
johnmshaw
Advanced

agree with lemmon yelloww, take some Swepco tranny fluid and see what happens, I wasn't too lucky just had to repalce clutch $$$
enjoy your new car thy are awesome
Old 12-11-2001, 02:38 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Jon Hanson:
<STRONG>Hey, Skip, are there any brands that you recommend???</STRONG>
Well, since you asked... Redline or Swepco are proven favorites... no matter the conditions.

For an 86 Turbo non-LSD, either Redline MT90 or 75W90NS, or Swepco 201.

Skip

Quick Reply: Shifting problem?