Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exactly goes into a 944 AC system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:13 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Default What exactly goes into a 944 AC system?

I x-posted my post from PP because I'd like opinions from multiple sites (although I'm pretty sure most of you are on both). I'm in the market for a NA model, and the only thing keeping me from buying one (very well maintained and clean) model is the fact that AC was deleted.

I live in TX, and although I won't require AC (not my DD) I would like to have it installed. I know which parts I need, but I don't know how much I can expect to pay for them, nor do I know what kind of labor will be going into this project.

With that said, let's say I can track down an AC system from someone who converted their 944 for track day use. What's a reasonable domain for the pricing? I would suspect a few hundred $$$. As for the installation, is it pretty straightforward, or would a novice mechanic best leave it to the pros? I haven't worked too much on cars, but know how to follow a tutorial and use common sense.

Maybe I'm just dreaming because this car is great in every other way. I should just move on to other options if this is going to be more than a $800 investment.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:03 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Depends what was taken out for the A/C delete...it could be as simple as getting a new compressor and bracket, or it could be a lot more involved if the PO removed the evaporator, condenser, lines, etc.

If its just a compressor, the mounting bracket will probably run about $100 and a rebuilt compressor a few hundred more. You'll also need a new alternator belt, which will be needed to run the compressor. Installing a compressor requires specialized tools to deal with the refrigerant, so I don't think I'd say its a job for a novice. Also, if your alternator belt isn't adjusted properly, it can cause serious problems...that part is more straightforward, but still probably not the best choice for a first project.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:12 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by white924s
Depends what was taken out for the A/C delete...it could be as simple as getting a new compressor and bracket, or it could be a lot more involved if the PO removed the evaporator, condenser, lines, etc.

If its just a compressor, the mounting bracket will probably run about $100 and a rebuilt compressor a few hundred more. You'll also need a new alternator belt, which will be needed to run the compressor. Installing a compressor requires specialized tools to deal with the refrigerant, so I don't think I'd say its a job for a novice. Also, if your alternator belt isn't adjusted properly, it can cause serious problems...that part is more straightforward, but still probably not the best choice for a first project.
PO has moved the alternator to a lower position. How will this affect things?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:26 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

You will need the AC bracket, which relocates the alternator higher, so that the compressor can mount below. Not that difficult. 4 bolts hold it to the block, then associated hardware for alt/compressor.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:42 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

I just gave away 2 brackets...

This was an "after market" AC delete? It still has the condensor, receiver dryer and evaporator (and associated plumbing, wiring, switches, air ducts, etc.)? If it's a factory delete, which is quite rare, then you're better off looking for a different car, IMHO.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:00 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
I just gave away 2 brackets...

This was an "after market" AC delete? It still has the condensor, receiver dryer and evaporator (and associated plumbing, wiring, switches, air ducts, etc.)? If it's a factory delete, which is quite rare, then you're better off looking for a different car, IMHO.
It wasn't factory. PO said:

In the spirit of making the car faster I removed the compressor, relocated the alternator to the lower spot, and removed the A/C unit under the dash. If you wanted to resurrect the A/C for those Texas summers, you'd have to find a used A/C under dash unit. and of course get an A/C compressor, drier, receiver, new lines, and have it charged. I also noticed last year that the blower fan was only working on high speed. That usually means the ballast resistor has failed, but I have not fixed it. And since removing the A/C unit under the dash, I could only get air to blow through the defrost vents or foot vent.
I assume the under-dash unit he's talking about is the evaporator, no idea how ridiculous that is to access on an early model. He didn't mention the condenser. The ballast resistor is going to run about $180...
Old 05-29-2013, 02:33 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 924S i'm parting, if your patient I can probably get everything out for the A/C except the compressor (i'm using it). I'm pulling the engine this weekend and can get the lines/inside box/switch/resistor/receiver dryer/brackets/condenser and all that for you if I can have a bit of time to get it all out. The A/C worked when it was parked and has been sealed until roughly this weekend.

Shipping it will suck though, Fair warning. If your interested ill work on a price.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:40 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arominus
I have a 924S i'm parting, if your patient I can probably get everything out for the A/C except the compressor (i'm using it). I'm pulling the engine this weekend and can get the lines/inside box/switch/resistor/receiver dryer/brackets/condenser and all that for you if I can have a bit of time to get it all out. The A/C worked when it was parked and has been sealed until roughly this weekend.

Shipping it will suck though, Fair warning. If your interested ill work on a price.
I won't even have the car until July anyway, so no rush. I am going to be hunting on RL for the parts, so I'm definitely interested. I'll PM you soon about the details. Thanks!

Quick Reply: What exactly goes into a 944 AC system?