Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield wipers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001 | 11:37 PM
Jon Hanson
Instructor

Red face Windshield wipers.

Maybe a dumb question, but my windshield wipers do not return to the horizontal position when I turn them off. I have to time it right if I want them to land where they should. Anyone know what causes this?
Old 07-19-2001 | 10:29 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

couple of questions:
- to what level do they return(or do they stop at the moment you switch them off?)
- did it just popped up or did it became worse in time?

Based on my VW experience, it looks like the take-over in the motor at first sight.
The motor is hooked up to power via 3 wires: one from the switch, one neutral and one power.
When switched off, the wiper cycle is completed by picking up power from a rail in the gear housing of the motor.
Clean it in there and check the contact fingers and you probably solved the problem.

If you take the motor apart, be sure to mark the position of the lever on the cover AND the gear wheel / motor shaft on the motor housing before you run / rotate the motor.
If yo do't you might find the wipers landing in the midst of your window after re-assembly.
It is a tough job to find the correct position then.
Old 07-22-2001 | 03:50 PM
Louishn
Track Day

Techs tell me wipers not resting where they should is caused by intermittent wiper relay malfunction. have one ordered will let you know.
Old 07-23-2001 | 05:27 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Louis, you could be right depending on how it started.
If it starts at once, it could very well be the relay.
If the rest position has "creaped up" in a couple of steps it is most likely a poor contact on the zero position.
The standard Bosch design is a sliding contact (NO, closed while moving) inside the gear house of the drive motor.
This will give problems after years of perfect operation due to grease / corrosion of the contact strip.
Experience made me fear the worst.
Am interested in your findings,

Quick Reply: Windshield wipers.