Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"UNICHIP" Question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 03:50 PM
belz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "UNICHIP" Question?

Posted this on the 951 forum as well:

What do you guys know / think about the Unichip? (The Racer's Group)
From what I understand it's a "piggyback" computer that you install "downstream" from your stock computer(s)which allow you to tune and fine-tune your car. It seems to allow you to adjust timing and fuel by rpm and there is some level of boost control for turbo cars. I'm a little fuzzy on how the boost control works.
This seems like an ideal mod. for someone who has already invested in chips / MAF etc. and/or wants to keep the stock engine management system vs. aftermarket. It allows you to fine tune the "problem" areas or less than ideal fuel / timing / boost settings per rpm.
I would very much like to hear opinions pro/con.
more info: www.racersgroup.com
Old 01-10-2002, 04:01 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It looks similar to "The Program" upgrade they had ealier. Basically a digital version of the ARC2. These things intercept the sensor inputs before they make it to the computer. Then it massages the signal and sends it onward to the stock computer to fool it into thinking environmental conditions are different than what they actually are. So if you want more fuel at a certain RPM, you increase the air-flow signals at that RPM and the computer sends more fuel. Sounds great and all, especially with discreet point-map adjustments, but you're still working within the limits of the stock computer. Better off getting a whole new EFI system like the SDS system than adding any kind of a piggyback system.
Old 01-10-2002, 05:03 PM
belz
Instructor

Question

Danno ...
It is the PROgram with a new name.
So what you're saying is that it sits "upstream" or before the stock computer(s)? (makes sense)vs. "downstream".
I agree that a complete engine management system would be the ultimate, however, wouldn't the UNICHIP make sense for someone who was happy with their stock system, or with their current mods, and all they wanted was the ability to tune what they have?
My question is not to debate the merits of MOTEC vs UNICHIP but more of the value that the UNICHIP may offer someone who does not or cannot go the total engine management system route.
I can really see the value of the UNICHIP for someone with a new "leased" vehicle who wants to tweek their car and be able to hide it or remove it as necessary... etc.
Thoughts?
Old 01-10-2002, 05:51 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by belz:
<STRONG>Posted this on the 951 forum as well:

What do you guys know / think about the Unichip?</STRONG>
One thing to keep in mind is the system is NOT tuneable by the user unless you are a "dealer" with the necessary tools to tweak the settings.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:21 AM
Danno
Race Director

I think the "value" in this system is going to come down to a function of price. A set of used APE Stg-2 chips w/banjo bolt for $150 is probably the best bet in 951 upgrades.

After that, there's not much until you get to the $1500+ level with MAF kits. In which case an SDS would give you much better performance for the money.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:44 AM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

So Danno are you saying an engine management system with the stock air box will give better performance than a MAF kit?
Old 01-11-2002, 08:45 AM
Danno
Race Director

Most definitely! You would get rid of your stock airbox completely and use a MAP sensor that runs off the intake-manifold. Just stick a K&N filter on the turbo-inlet and you'll have a free-flow intake no MAF kit can match!
Old 01-11-2002, 02:43 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Right on, brother! Just stick a velocit stack style air horn right on the turbo inlet! The heck with the filter.

Quick Reply: "UNICHIP" Question?