Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early 944 A Arms bushing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2001, 10:52 AM
Mike 89 NA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Early 944 A Arms bushing replacement

It's time to replace my A arm bushings, at 157K on the clock I'm getting some vibrations at various speeds, and they look a little rough. Does anyone have any advice for removing and installing the bushing that attaches to the shaft? The bushing that goes into the tube piece I can press in and out by using a large bolt and washers and a socket, works quite well, only takes a few minutes. I don't wnat to take a hammer to the new bushing, any suggestions would be appreciated. Ahmet, didn't I read on the old board that you were going through theses like crazy on your track days? If it was you how did you replace them? Thanks!

Mike
Old 07-15-2001, 05:53 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Depending on what type of bushing I used I could drive them in either at home, or took them to the shop to press them in (much easier).

Are you talking about the bushings that hold the rear of the control arm to the chasis, or the bushing that resides where the control arm bolts to the subframe?
Ahmet
Old 07-15-2001, 05:56 PM
Mike 89 NA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The one that has the cap over it and is held in by two bolts. What did you use to drive in on? Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-15-2001, 06:04 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

I only had to replace those bushings three times, and on the third I found out what the problem was (used a press to drive them in). You should be able to put them on with a hammer, but if you don't want to, take them to a shop by all means. If they're off the car it won't take long to put them on, 15-20 min max. for a shop. Getting the old ones off is MUCH harder. Make sure you get the angle of them right, and that they're the right bushings with the metal surroundings/inserts. The polygraphite bushings that I thought would be an improvement were missing these metal inserts, and let the control arm move to the rear under braking. This inturn caused all the stress to be placed on the bushings near the subframe, which weren't made to handle such loads. After the bushings in the subframe were torn, damage was done to the subframe. Makes me sick just thinking about it!

Good luck to you, and again watch what position the bushings go in. They're going to be(and supposed to be) stuck on there.
Ahmet
Old 07-15-2001, 07:46 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe I'm not understanding the situation (Ahmet)... if you were going through these A-arm end bushings (the large one at the rear of the steel arm)that often , then there must've been a reason. On a non-lowered car, the A-arm is nearly horizontal (parallel to the ground, 90 degree from vertical, etc). That makes it pretty easy to press the bushing on at the correct attitude in relation to the arm. If your car is lowered, then the angle changes (negatively, as in less than 90 degrees from vertical). In this case, the bushing must be attached at whatever the static angle would be when the car is lowered. If not, you'd be binding the rubber, and subjecting it to excessive load and wear. Or, you could have a non-lowered car that goes through too much motion when on the track... in this case, you'd really have to consider upgrading the suspension (shocks, springs, sways) to decrease the excessive body roll. Normally, the bushing should last quite a while, and in fact, the bushing is usually replaced with the replacement of the A-arm itself (metal fatigue). Even though we all replace that pressed on bushing by pressing or cutting it off, they are not meant to be done that way. Like I said though, maybe I am not understanding the situation.
Old 07-15-2001, 08:49 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Skip, you're correct in that these bushings are supposed to last much longer (and they normally do, even on heavily tracked cars)...

I switched to polygraphite bushings by weltmeister a few years ago, since then I've had a bushing problem, until I switched the bushings on the rear of the front control arms with original Porsche parts (that have the metal inserts).

These bushings apperently keep the fore/aft position of the control arms under check. The polygraphite bushings did not have the metal inserts, and they deflected way too much, they also moved up on the control arm, they were NOT stuck on like the factory bushings are. As a result the whole control arm moved rearward (under heavy braking), slicing up the bushings in the front (where they mount to the subframe), and started carving into the subframe as well. I must've gone through 6+ sets of bushings before I figured this out, and two subframes! It WAS very frustrating until I figured it out.

PS: The weltmeister polygraphite bushings are now discontinued for the front control arms on the early cars!
Ahmet

Quick Reply: Early 944 A Arms bushing replacement