Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Celica...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 01:54 PM
David G
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam, when you quoted me about FWD, you left off the ever-important "IMHO" -as it is only my humble opinion, and I certainly do stick by it. And just because I don't like it doesn't mean I don't know anything about it
Old 08-25-2001, 02:37 PM
MAS
Racer

"That might be true but I'd say that some of us know equally very little about FWD cars."

I dunno, I don't follow Honda stuff that closely, and yet I know quite a bit about Hondas and Integras. Bear in mind that these are "today" cars. It's hardly surprising that many Honda owners today wil know little about the "introductory" Porsches of yesteryear (especially if they are teenagers). Let's face it... there really are no "intro" Porsches today like there used to be in the 914/924/944 era... unless you count the Boxster, which in my opinion, is pretty bloody expensive.

-MAS
Old 08-25-2001, 04:19 PM
Black_951
Instructor

I disagree about the need for radar. I have gotten my share of tickets but in each case a radar would not have helped my chances. I find simply keeping your eyes open and following basic evasive radar techniques will keep you cruisin.

Then, knowing the difference between the different types of officers in your area and how to treat each of them. Here, I have to be aware of city cops, parish deputies, and state troopers. They each have a different agenda and should be treated accordingly if you hope to get away with a "warning".
Old 08-25-2001, 05:01 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

David G, my humblest of apologies for leaving off you IMHO - that was not intended. My point certainly was intended as I am very frustrated by a good number of folks on this board use their Porsche ownership as a license for bashing other vehicle makes and/or types. If you feel that I am being judgemental or snap to criticism, consider that maybe I am coming from quite a different perspective. I cannot tell you the utter disgust I have when any driver on track refuses to give an Acura or Honda or Nissan a point-by because they have a "superior" car. I cannot think of an event where this hasn't happened and since I am always paddocked with a combination of Acuras and other Japanese imports I hear about it. And furthermore I am downright embarassed at the nearly exclusivity of the offendees being Porsches. That is why I jump up and down everytime I hear that generalist kind of talk on this board. I think it promotes the behavior that I have seen. My critique is my way of saying "there is nothing wrong with being out driven by a Prelude or a Type R - they are damned good cars."

I am also certain that in your belief that FWD is "Bad" - in your humble opinion - that you should expect that viewers/fans of SVWC, SCCA Nat./IT/ and other touring car venues might find that an exceptionally limited viewpoint.

MAS, I believe that same year 924s and CRXs run in IT together no?

Adam, who likes his 944 but he sure does feel like a creep owning it some days.
Old 08-25-2001, 05:26 PM
David G
Advanced

Adam, I agree with your veiws about some Porsche drivers..I've seen that myself. I certainly do not have an ounce of 'eliteism' about my car, and have waved by ANYBODY faster, as we all should do regardless of what we drive. As well, I don't mean to bash anyone's ride, I just like what I like..
Old 08-25-2001, 05:53 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
About Japanese cars: I love my Porsche, yes I do, but if I could buy a Nissan Skyline in this country I would. Yes I would. Nothing lame about that car except the looks, which are sleeper city.

Thaddeus
Old 08-25-2001, 06:11 PM
K. Wells
Intermediate

I agree with Adam, it was the same point I was stating earlier, I just used fewer words.
Old 08-25-2001, 10:49 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

black: you are correct again on the premise of "keeping one's eye's open and following basic..." However- there is always, as you may agree, (at least here in California: big town SF, Bay Area, and surrounding cities San Jose/Santa Clara), the dispicable speed trap. I have found that some of these jerk-off police love to hide behind speed limit signs on curves and ticket drivers for going 10 miles over the limit (45 in a 35). Until the day that they abstain or we get an Autobahn (which is never) there will exist the need for SOME sort of protection. In agreeing with you, I feel that keeping an eye out is 75% of the solution. What to do when they hide under freeway overpasses and on freeway on-ramps? Can't see them, can't do anything about it. Getting to know the area is #1, but not always possible. How "..to treat each of them" is n/a here. There is only one type of pig that rides our freeways specifically on the lookout for "speeders", (unless one is on a county road and happens to catch a Deputy or Sheriff just getting off a donut binge): they are called the CHP and they are as sneaky as they come. I want as much protection as possible from the heavy hand of the State. While I understand it is foolish to become dependent on a radar detector and stupidly thinking that it gives one the "right" to speed, I just think the system is WACK and most cops highly disciminate and are aggressive- too much wasted revenue and not good for their quotas. So anything for a more "level" playing field is worth it, especially when I know for certain that most of us go at least 70-75 in a 65 mph zone, which is speeding.
Old 08-25-2001, 11:15 PM
stupenal
Instructor

As for Thaddeus' comment regarding the nissan skyline....it's no longer what it used to be. I was recently in Japan, and they debuted the new skyline at the nissan showroom in Ginza (kinda like a rodeo drive thing). Anyways, they changed the entire look and function of the car. The new headlights kinda look like the new ls430. Entirely changed, including the engine. I think it's less than 200hp now? Not too sure.

As for it being offered in America, it soon will be. It will be advertised under the Infiniti badge. It is no longer the monstrous beast it was. No more boxy rear with big wing....replaced by a smoothed and rounded rear.

As for celicas, my good friend owns a 2001 Celica GTS with an Ingen cold air intake and lemme tell you, that thing FLIES! THat lucky bastard (dad works for TRD) can easily take 90 degree turns without slowing down and the acceleration is pretty nice. Pitting a 944 vs. a Celica GTS is hazardous to your health. Against an auto GT....haha, no chance.
Old 08-26-2001, 12:54 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

this thread is taking on some understeer out of turn 1 called "Diskussion des porsche 944"
- straight for turn 2 that reads "made in japan".

Re: the Skylines . . . while true they will be badged with the Infiniti marque, I was under the impression that it's already possible (and legal) to purchase the Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32, R33, R34) to drive here in US, right-hand drive or not- through select importers. Does http://www.motorex.net help? All the details are in the faq.
Old 08-26-2001, 01:48 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Hey guys,

I just wanna know why we keep throwing around the word "Ricer" like it's a cuss word? What are we "Sour Krauters"? Whats wrong with a guy who hops up his honda or whatever or even some American muscle car, They are basically after what allot of us seem to be after, that extra edge and enjoyment. Now I do laugh at the guys spend all there money on cosmetics trying to make the car LOOK faster. So what if we picked a classier ride to put some steroids into. Don't get me wrong, I will never buy another non porsche. I simply love my car to much. Maybee when I get kids and a family I'll have to get some thing larger to accomidate (HMM... thats why porsche made the SUV But anyway, I know several guys that just love good cars, and because they can't afford to buy a Porsche or whatever doesn't mean anything should be held against them. I used to spend many an hour under my non-porsche turning a wrench just because I liked the feel of getting back in and hearing the tires burn with new found power. It's not a race against the Japs, or the Chevy's, It's the human race. And if you spend to much time hating the other guy you'll end up loosin. Have fun, and be safe (I've never done 120 in 4th gear)

None of my comments were meant to start a flame, Just .02 from a 25 year old punk kid.
Old 08-26-2001, 01:54 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Ricer = short for those who made RiceBoyPage.com famous.

Redneck = Short for Camero drivers JK!! (My brother drives a Formula).

My sister has a 99 Integra, it is a nice car but I felt disconnected driving it.

Besides, they call themselves rice I've heard.

-Matt
Old 08-26-2001, 02:25 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

exactly, read the fine print at the Rice Boy page... definition of a Rice Boy.
Old 08-26-2001, 08:18 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My critique is my way of saying "there is nothing wrong with being out driven by a Prelude or a Type R - they are damned good cars."
Nothing wrong with Preludes, Type-Rs, CelicaGTS. They regulary kick my *** on the tracks. It's the non-performance ones that add all those goofy stickers, double-decker wings and tacky ground-effects that deserve the "rice" label. I was actually a "rice-boy" once myself: http://members.rennlist.org/951_racerx/riceporsche.html

Whats wrong with a guy who hops up his honda or whatever or even some American muscle car, They are basically after what allot of us seem to be after, that extra edge and enjoyment. Now I do laugh at the guys spend all there money on cosmetics trying to make the car LOOK faster.
Yes and laugh we do, heh, heh... Nothing wrong with ricing out a car, just pretentious in my opinion. Kinda like the nouveau-riche posers with their new Mercedes blocking the left lane with their blinker on (all on credit of course). Or the guy with the thick money-clip full of cash, but they're all 1-dollar bills with a single 100 on top.

Typically people who really have the goods have enough class and are secure enough that they don't have to flaunt anything.

Such as Kenny Loggins who drives a convertible Alfa, or Jeff Bridges getting his coffee at Starbucks in jeans and a T-shirt.

Cars with the real cahones like 996Turbos, Calloway turbos, Lingefelter Corvettes, Hennessey Vipers are usually understated.

Quick Reply: Celica...