Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need early sunroof switch lesson

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013 | 10:45 PM
maint
Instructor

Default need early sunroof switch lesson

I have looked for a couple of hours and can't find info on how the limits work on the early sunroofs. My sunroof stopped working yesterday and I traced it to a blown fuse. A couple of fuses later ( trying to find out why) I manually 1/2 opened the roof. I got it to electrically close and then really looked at the set up. Took the motor and bar out to clean it. It was then I realized I don't understand what the limits are doing. There is a 'slider' attached to the end of the cable that hits the two limits ( one at a time). Why two and why triggered only 1/4 " apart. I'm guessing one is the down limit, what is the second. Does the motor just reach the fully up (and fully down/released position) and then supposed to slip ? I get the feeling I'm missing something.
Old 05-09-2013 | 12:31 PM
turbodave
Instructor

There are actually three limit switches. The ones on the rail control retract limits of the lifting arms by key position. Ignition switch to On uses the first switch to find full down. Ignition key in off position uses second switch to define full retract so you can remove the sunroof. Full up is determined by a micro switch located in the headliner panel up front by the courtesy light, between the sunroof latches. If you have had your sunroof out recently, and are popping fuses, this switch is most likely the culprit or the limit switches have slipped out of adjustment. Also FWIW, if you haven't converted to the later model cable drive you may want to consider getting the kit before it becomes NLA from Porsche, if it hasn't already. Hope this helps..Dave

Last edited by turbodave; 05-09-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-09-2013 | 01:15 PM
Arominus
Race Car

here you go, some good reading on the subject

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/body-03.htm
Old 05-09-2013 | 09:10 PM
maint
Instructor

Thanks for the replies, I found the Clark's after I posted (thought it was the same as the pelican one and that didn't help) It still didn't tell me why two switches. They are so close together I couldn't see them being for two positions. Now I know that, the adjusting should go better.
Car was parked for years and, now that it's reborn, things that did work when it was in the shop are acting up. Record temperatures here and no sunroof or a/c

Quick Reply: need early sunroof switch lesson