Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do people put so much effort into stereos in these cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 06:27 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ben: it only gets better, but you need to come to the City (what locals call SF) to experience a totally different mindset. too bad you weren't at Dan's Pizza Run (or were you?) around thxgvg time.....

..."booming" my sony cd player with no amp, only scaring the pigeons with National Public Radio. keep those threads coming thad.
Old 12-06-2001, 06:45 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As I get older I tend to get overloaded by loud music in combination with loud exhaust as I drive. It tends to get me agitated to have the music blaring as I drive in traffic.

When I drive to and from work I tend to listen to National Public Radio for the news. Not that I don't like to make my ears bleed now and again. When I do listen to music in the car it tends to be older hard alternative like Fugazi, Jesus Lizard, Butthole Surfer, Kill Dozer, Dead Kennedys, etc. Actually I am surprized I can still hear after the number of times I went to Flat Duo Jets shows when I lived in Atlanta. Those (two) guys cranked it to 11 when they played.

Ben comments
those modifications are for aethetic purposes ONLY whereas a stereo dramatically improves the exerience of being in a car.
Actually aesthetics can be used to describe ones personal experience, whether aural or visual, so Thaddeus's analogy is applicable.
Old 12-06-2001, 06:57 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Booming bass may be a cure for hatch squeaking but how long does it take to shake loose the welds in the car's body, as well as loosen every bolt and screw (except the wheel nut!)? for booming bass

Old 12-06-2001, 07:15 PM
bs
Pro

Thumbs up

deni:

yeah, i'm still getting used to "the city" not meaning NYC any more.

I was in LA the weekend of the pizza run, and would have been too embarassed to show up with a 99.9% stock porsche anyway.

manning:

c'mon, argue with my semantics (and bad spelling) if you want, but do you REALLY think that replacing hose clamps with functionally identical red ones is analogous to replacing a 14 year old tape deck & 2 watt per channel amp with a cd changer, external amplifier, subwoofers and component speakers.....?
Old 12-06-2001, 07:20 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

And always remember that it's your RIGHT as a 'merican citizen to commit audio assault on everybody within a 100' radius of your car, even if your music sounds like total _garbage_ by the time it gets out of your car....which it invariably does. (that's sarcasm, for the mentally impaired)

Could you at least have the minimal mature respect for the rights of others to turn it down when you're around other people?

If so, then have at it, spend all you want on car stereo. If not, don't be surprised by the occasional rude gesture. Oddly enough, it's _not_ "all about you."

Jim, it's all about "us"....
Old 12-06-2001, 10:47 PM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

I put mine in because I wanted to and I could. And maybe bragging rights. On the other hand, how many of you are running open downpipe like me? I have sheared the exhaust piping off right in front of the cat for the 3rd time and will be putting in a flex-pipe and new cat-back. Man, I even scare off 5.0 stangs that have high flow cats/mufflers. For some reason, Porsche didn't do anything to allow the exhaust to flex.
Old 12-07-2001, 01:08 AM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't put a lot of time or effort into my stereo setup just money, but its one of the best sounding stereos I have ever heard in a car and have been told by others the same. I didn't go for loud I went for clear and clean but it will do loud. I was a band manager for a long time and listening to music was part of the job and setting at home to listen music was nearly impossible so I had to do it in my car. I love good crusing music but when the twisties come up down or off goes the tunes also the ladies love some good music when when we go on slow romantic drives and at my age everything helps . The 951 hauls the stereo around pretty good also, I didn't put in so much stereo (or ladies)that I have to have overload springs.

Russ
Nakamichi CD 45z
2 Diamond Audio M391i 6X9's
2 Aura Force 426 4X6's
2 Aura Force 52 5" coaxial
1 Aura Force 10 10" Sub
1 Alpine Amp 3553
No canned music here
Old 12-07-2001, 02:17 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

I want a monster system so I can blast my learning French or learning spanish tracks. Loud Polka music makes you look cool when you are cruising too. Try it some time and see what I mean!
Old 12-07-2001, 06:00 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

BS: shame on you ! my car *IS* stock and i was there.. funny thing is that i was going to go to El Lay, but decided to hang around to catch these guys. futhermore, i provided some afternoon entertainment with my "creative" driving style, just ask Danno! it's not about what you appear to be, it's all about the car - enthusiasm counts! give me some time to figure this stuff out and things will improve guaranteed ...
Old 12-07-2001, 09:04 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I missed Deni's spin on video by just one car-length (was too far back)!!! How he managed to do a 180-degree spin on a one-lane road at low-speed, I have no idea!

Anyway, back in high-school, I had a rice-car with the stereo and the big 2x15" speakers in the trunk: RacerX's Rice Car Galore .

I did notice that the Supra's hatch would actually lift up and down about 1/4" in sync. with the bass thumps. But I didn't have to worry about hatch squeaks at all because eventually, I just completely shattered it and it blew out in one piece (window-tint held all the pieces together).

So what's my point? I don't know... just rambling... I guess that was my first car and I caught up in the whole rice culture (lived next to San Jose after all). Any, with all my succeeding cars, I've been very satisfied with enjoying them in stock form.

Deni, et al, thinking about coming up to the City for a party, Sat. 22nd! Perhaps one of my buddies will throw a soirée at his flat and then we can hit the clubs for drinks and dancing. Might even get a limo, we'll see! -danno
Old 12-07-2001, 09:09 AM
Danno
Race Director

Yeah, I missed Deni's spin on video by just one car-length (was too far back)!!! How he managed to do a 180-degree spin on a one-lane road at low-speed, I have no idea!

Anyway, back in high-school, I had a rice-car with the stereo and the big 2x15" speakers in the trunk: RacerX's Rice Car Galore .

I did notice that the Supra's hatch would actually lift up and down about 1/4" in sync. with the bass thumps. But I didn't have to worry about hatch squeaks at all because eventually, I just completely shattered it and it blew out in one piece (window-tint held all the pieces together).

So what's my point? I don't know... just rambling... I guess that was my first car and I caught up in the whole rice culture (lived next to San Jose after all). Anyway, with all my succeeding cars, I've been very satisfied with enjoying them in stock form.

Deni, et al, thinking about coming up to the City for a party, Sat. 22nd! Perhaps one of my buddies will throw a soirée at his flat and then we can hit the clubs for drinks and dancing. Might even get a limo, we'll see! -danno
Old 12-07-2001, 12:40 PM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, Thad, that took some guts. Or you were really bored and wanted attention.?

I agree totally, it does weigh down the car. That is why you make everything so that it is easily removed for Auto-x. This car is my daily driver, and sometimes 200KPH@5000rpm's and some queen compliment each other well.

Communist... all of my russian friends have nice stereo's too. JK, i'm not that stupid, pretty close though. Not sure where that came from. Forgive me Thad.

Flame on.
Old 12-07-2001, 02:19 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

I was never a big fan of lots of bass and loud music until I put the system in my car. I had originally planned to just install the computer as a project to see if I could do it, but my brother bought an old system off one of my friends, so I installed that at the same time.

The car sounds like **** from the outside unless the trunk is open or the windows are down. I don't really care about that though, I'm not trying to be cool.. I just enjoy the music and if it sounds good on the inside, thats all that matters. I can't strive for perfection with a Tercel ;-)

I think the real reason people spend so much money on stereos for the car is because it completely transforms the driving expirence and can make it more enjoyable (Clarity before volume though, I'd much rather have a system that doesn't get very loud but is clear throughout the spectrum than one thats loud but sounds terrible).
Old 12-07-2001, 03:04 PM
TimC
Instructor

Originally posted by Mark Hubley:
<STRONG>(My top driving song recommendation is Red Barchetta by Rush.)</STRONG>
I prefer "Driven." The live version. "It's ok, Alex, shake it off!"

T

PS - new album on the way, officially announced by SRO/Anthem for release sometime early in 2002. And still in rumor stage, 60-city tour.
Old 12-07-2001, 03:42 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, I was bored. Actually the 2d thing I did to my 951 was junk the Blaupunkt tape deck and put in a Pioneer CD. I always have tuneful cars. I can't believe how many people got up on their hind legs about it.

I'm unemployed (1 month anniversary) and it makes me bored and crabby. I hate not working. I like to work. I like being useful. It's wasteful to have people with madd skeelz like me sitting on their duffs doing nothing. I am bored with studying for certifications and checking job web sites and going to 'smell of death' job fairs and seeing all the depressed people in ugly suits. Damn!

But I got to drive my 951 yesterday. 45 degrees and sunny, dry pavement, on 12/6 in Minnesota. Not too bad. Life is good in the seat of a Porsche.

~cheers~

Troll man

Quick Reply: Why do people put so much effort into stereos in these cars?