Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper Amp placement and speaker hook-up in a 944?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001 | 03:01 PM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Post Proper Amp placement and speaker hook-up in a 944?

I have the following set-up - JVC 35w head unit, Panasonic 4x6s front, infinity 4x6s in rear seat, infinity 6x9s in hatch. I just purchased a 200 watt (75 watt per channel), 2 channel, jensen amp.

I want to put the amp in the well under the hatch carpet - is this a proper location or will the lack of air circulation cause the amp to overheart?

Also, I only want to power the 6x9s with the amp. By connecting RCA cables from the head to the amp, will I be cutting out any sound to my 4x6s?

Thanks -

Jeremy
1983 Guards Red
Old 12-05-2001 | 03:33 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Which well? Side cubbys or spare tire? There shouldn't be a heat problem really in either. I have 2 Kenwood amps in my spare tire well and have never had them shut down. Just be careful you don't put a screw through the sheet metal and into the gas tank!
Old 12-05-2001 | 03:42 PM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Side cubby's
Old 12-05-2001 | 03:46 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Jeremy:
<STRONG>Also, I only want to power the 6x9s with the amp. By connecting RCA cables from the head to the amp, will I be cutting out any sound to my 4x6s?
</STRONG>
Depends on how your head unit handles the fading on the RCA's. Some are non-fading, RCAs are independent of the fader. Some are considered "rear" and will fade out with the fader all the way front. You can play with the fader control and see how it behaves. Or just leave it center.
Old 12-05-2001 | 06:26 PM
bron964
Racer

I want to put the amp in the well under the hatch carpet - is this a proper location or will the lack of air circulation cause the amp to overheart?
it really depends on the amp. some dissipitate heat more efficiently than others(e.g. bigger heatsinks, etc.). any new amp these days should do a relatively good job of keeping cool...even under seats or under the rear hatch carpet.

Also, I only want to power the 6x9s with the amp. By connecting RCA cables from the head to the amp, will I be cutting out any sound to my 4x6s?
the answer to this question depends on how your current set-up is presently wired?

are you running all 3 pairs of speakers off your HU?
Old 12-05-2001 | 06:33 PM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Thank you for your assistance. Yes, all 3 pairs are currently run off the head unit. I am hoping to disconnect the 6x9 speakers and connect them to the amp which will be wired to the HU using RCA cables.
Old 12-06-2001 | 01:08 AM
sm
Drifting

Jeremy:

I'm considering doing a speaker install like yours. Currently, I have 4x6's up front and 6x9's in the hatch. The previous owner had the 4x6's in the back seat area disconnected.
Can you tell me how you wired your speakers and how you spliced them? Also, I'm thinking of adding tweeters up front to raise the sound to ear level - how do you recommend I connect the tweeters? (everything sounds really low right now with the fronts' placement)

thanks!
sm
Old 12-06-2001 | 10:31 AM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

SM -

To be honest I am not sure how they are wired as it was already done when I purchased the car. The PO had panasonic 4x6s in the front, OEMs in the rear seat, and Pioneer self contained speakers in the hatch. I changed the rear seat speakers to Infinity kappas, and the hatch to 6x9 Kappas in boxes. I have a 1983 and although it was tricky, I did not need to remove the windows to replace the speakers. I am hoping to install my amp this weekend so if I am able to figure out how it was wire, I will repost. Sorry that I couldn't be more help -

Jeremy

Originally posted by sm:
<STRONG>Jeremy:

I'm considering doing a speaker install like yours. Currently, I have 4x6's up front and 6x9's in the hatch. The previous owner had the 4x6's in the back seat area disconnected.
Can you tell me how you wired your speakers and how you spliced them? Also, I'm thinking of adding tweeters up front to raise the sound to ear level - how do you recommend I connect the tweeters? (everything sounds really low right now with the fronts' placement)

thanks!
sm</STRONG>
Old 12-07-2001 | 11:25 PM
eworkley
Instructor

Thought I'd let you know what I did for two installs.
I installed the amp under the glove compartment, Depending on how thick the amp is, should leave plenty of room for pass. Then I installed new 4x6's (eclipse) in the door panels(had to enlarge hole and shimmed out the oem grill's slightly) and in the rear pass area. Then I cut out for 6x9's (eclipse) in the hatch area (right and left sides), removed the padding under the carpet(sides only) and made plywood mounting panels for the speakers to go under the carpet. It makes for a real clean install and keeps the rear speakers to the sides so you can still haul those extra Porsche add on's. You can e-mail me if you want more details. eworkley@earthlink.net

Quick Reply: Proper Amp placement and speaker hook-up in a 944?