Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ack! Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 09:50 PM
afahrlan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ack! Coolant

There's green liquid all over the floor of my garage. It appears to be coming from the front-left of the engine and upon inspection the coolant level is low. This was discovered after my ahem, enthusiastic driving during my first vacation from college.

I didn't get a chance to thoroughly look over things, but upon first inspection none of the hoses traced from the coolant tank in the general area of the puddle had any signs of liquid on them.

The water pump is getting old; to make it worse, it was replaced at 45k by a shoddy mechanic used by the PO who managed to screw up a bunch of things. This is the same mechanic who forced an english bolt into a metric hole while doing a clutch job on the car. The car now has 65k. I was going to bring it in to get the timing belt + water pump done in a few thousand miles. If it was going bad, would the pump leak from the front-left of the engine? What likely culprits would leak from that area?

Unfortunately, my car has a bad habit of springing leaks...expensive leaks...

Andrew

'86 944 Turbo
Old 12-04-2001, 10:50 PM
John.
User

You need to pull the belt covers off and pressure test the coolant system. It could be as simple as a hose clamp, or as involved as a bad pump. It is probably the pump, but don't jump to conclusions. Most AutoZone stores will rent you a pressure tester (or other special tools) for a few days....you then get your deposit back when you return it.......it costs you nothing.
Old 12-05-2001, 08:40 AM
TomH
Pro

Double check the hose that runs near the alternator. Mine went bad/expanded a few months after my mixing incident, and started rubbing with the turning flywheel of the alternator, which promptly cut a small hole in the hose, and caused it to leak when the system built up pressure.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:48 AM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And if you still have all the aero shields under the car, the location where you see the drip may have nothing at all to do with where it actually is on the engine. Trust me on this. BT,DT!

Jim, once wasted an hour looking for a leak at the back of the engine, when it was the dam' heater valve (front on the 968)....
Old 12-05-2001, 02:25 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

The leak is probably coming from your turbo water pump. I had the same intermittent leak which would only appear after spirited driving. The pump is about $80.00. It is located behind the expansion tank(cylindrical). Check it out--it may be the culprit.

Eric 86 951--For Sale

Quick Reply: Ack! Coolant