Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering....Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001, 09:30 AM
Sajid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Power Steering....Please Help!

My power steering doesnt seem to be working. I jacked up the car and took a look to see what was going on. There is a belt and everything is spinning. However, i turned the wheel from lock to lock, and at the extreme end, the fluid starts leaking from the metal thing where the initial hose from the reservoir goes. (sorry, dont know what its called).Im not sure if it is leaking from the first hose or after it has gone thru the metal thing and on its way out. Sorry if that sounds ambiguous. I dont know how else to
better describe it. What do i do? Please help
Old 09-12-2001, 12:05 PM
Greg Hammond
Racer

That "metal thing" that the hose attaches to is your steering rack, and it sounds like two things have happened:

1) All or most of your power steering fluid has probably leaked out.

2) The end-seal on at least one side of your steering rack is damaged.

You need a new steering rack, and also have to have somebody put that new metal thing in your car. It's about $800 worth of parts & labor if you have a professional do it.

Greg
Old 09-12-2001, 01:58 PM
Sajid
Racer

Can it possibly be anything else besides a bad steering rack?? Is it something i could do myself or is a professional mechanic necessary??
Old 09-12-2001, 02:22 PM
Sajid
Racer

Can it possibly be anything else besides a bad steering rack?? Is it something i could do myself or is a professional mechanic necessary??
Old 09-12-2001, 02:33 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I am sorry my87porsche, but I think you need a new rack. However, BLASZAK PRECISION MOTORSPORTS in Canada will rebuild your rack for $205 USD, instead of $800, or $1500 for a new unit.
Old 09-12-2001, 03:22 PM
Sajid
Racer

Well i dont mean to sound like im denial, but are u guys sure its the steering rack? I looked at the pictures of the rack and the pump in that site u linked Tabor, and the part where it was leaking from was the steering pump not the rack. Or is the fluid just being backed up to there or something? I really dont know the mechanics of how it works but i just wana be sure what the problem is.

Any idea how much a steering pump would go for?

And how hard is the removal and installation of these to items??

thanks again
Old 09-12-2001, 05:03 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

Hey -

The power steering was iffy on my '88 944 when I bought it. It would come and go, but it wasn't leaking fluid.

My power steering pump was the culprit - the pulley wasn't driving the impeller (the deal that pumps the fluid itself), so the spinning pulley wasn't pumping fluid.

If the pulley is spinning and there's fluid in the system but you have no power steering, I'd look at the pump first. Try loosening the power steering belt as much as you can yet still having it spin the pulley. It might squeal and make a racket, but if this revives your power steering, then you just need a new pump. For some reason, full belt tension on the pulley makes the separating pulley drive/impeller worse. The lightest belt tension you can get away with might bring it back to life. But don't drive it for too long like this - it's mainly to diagnose the problem.

LOL

Bryan
Old 09-12-2001, 05:26 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs down

Along a similar line, I just found out ALL my PS lines are leaking to one extent or another(so much for just clipping the ends and re-attaching to the reservoir). Quote for all 5 lines is 450.00! (86 951) Does anyone know of any cheaper alternatives, or will my car (once again) empty my wallet?

Eric(awaiting a new steering wheel, but for what?)
Old 09-12-2001, 06:53 PM
adie
Pro

The feed lines are obviously pressurised, I find that hyraulic suppliers the Plant machenery are all to helpful at providing cheap upgraded components, If you have the hoses off take them to a hydraulic hose supplier and watch thm identify the type hose and pressure rating just by smelling them, they will knock up identicat pipes while you wait and for a fraction of the costs, but unfortunatly they won't be genuine porsche items , if you can live with modifing your car then this would be a cheap route for you.
Old 10-22-2001, 10:02 PM
Edward1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi

I would first inspect the hoses. The power steering pump could be out, this will be the unit in which the belt goes to. The steering rack will be attached to the steering wheel via linkage. If you follow the steering rod from the firewall as you go down you will come to the steering rack. I replaced mine a while back for $250.00 doing the work myself. The replacement of the rack goes into having to realign the front end once complete, but if you are mechanically inclined you can replace it and get the front end aligned afterwards. Replacing the power steering pump is no big job. If the rack is leaking it usually comes out from the end going to the tire rods boots. It is not very hard to replace. Very important to get a front end job afterwards because you will have to completely disturb this to replace the rack. Hope this helps. If not realigned the car may not steer properly and behave very badly.

Edward
Old 10-23-2001, 01:50 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by my87porsche:
<STRONG> i turned the wheel from lock to lock, and at the extreme end, the fluid starts leaking from the metal thing where the initial hose from the reservoir goes. (sorry, dont know what its called).Im not sure if it is leaking from the first hose or after it has gone thru the metal thing and on its way out. </STRONG>
Sajid: you haven't told us the level of the fluid in the reservoir? Have you tried to add more?

From your initial description, it sounds like the Banjo bolt connection for the reservoir-to-pump feed line is failing. If this *is* the case, then your fix is about a buck. You need new crush washers in that fitting... Porsche/VW/Audi Part# N.100.184.01. If it's the feed hose itself, then your looking at a couple more bucks (Porsche part# 944.347.445.02)

Again, by the description you've given, the pump and rack are not suspect. But, you do need to at least fill'er back up and watch for the *real* leak.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Power Steering....Please Help!