Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The infamous timing belt whine...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 02:39 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Please be aware that the noise is an indication that something is wrong (tension, alignment of the pulleys...) Do not leave it like that.

I found the information on the temperature...

Note: Only check and adjust drive belt tightness on a cold engine (ambient temperature approx. 20°C/68°F ).

Also, after adjusting drive belt tension, adjust idler pulley. Use special tool 9207 or 0.5 mm feeler gauge so there is a clearance of 0.5 mm between drive belt and pulley when 0 to 1 mm pretension is applied to upper run of toothed belt. Tighten idler pulley in this position. If correct gap cannot be reached, turn idler pulley 180° and repeat adjustment. Tighten hex nut to 45 Nm (33 ftlb) while countering.

Hope this helps...
Old 12-04-2001, 03:43 PM
rplencne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I'll jump in and do a little "whining". Prior to our rebuild this past summer, all was quiet with the belts. After the rebuild which included belts, tensioners, idlers, and waterpump (plus LOTS of other stuff of course) we now have a whine, but only for a few minutes until it's warmed up. We set everything per the factory manual, using the factory gauge. We also did a retension after 3k miles (they had loosened up a little) but the whine while cold is still there.

-Bob P
Old 12-04-2001, 03:59 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Tom-

Looked over your point and believe you are correct. Thanks for pointing this out. I remember that my S2 has always prolly been more to 0 or a little gap than anything else, but I have never had any belt slap due to looseness in the 75K i have driven it. I'll have to adjust the idler to spec. now.

Best Regards,
Old 12-04-2001, 04:47 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Riff:
<STRONG>Tom-

Looked over your point and believe you are correct. Thanks for pointing this out. I remember that my S2 has always prolly been more to 0 or a little gap than anything else, but I have never had any belt slap due to looseness in the 75K i have driven it. I'll have to adjust the idler to spec. now.

EDIT the 75K mi. covers 2 belt changes, just you don't think I am that much of a gambler....

Best Regards,</STRONG>
Old 12-04-2001, 09:32 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whine is normal from my experience. May be a product of belt composition?

Steering a new direstion: Anyone used Conti belts? I got those this time around and am putting them on this evening. Opinions?

BTW - the seller told me that the timing belt spec is 4bar initial, 4bar retighten with the Conti belt -anyone heard of this?
I am accustomed to the manual's 4bar initial, 2.7bar retighten for timing belt...

??

Quick Reply: The infamous timing belt whine...