Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo Adapter Wiring? - Crutchfield?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 06:31 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Stereo Adapter Wiring? - Crutchfield?

A received a nice JVC stereo for my 944 at Christmas and I was wondering if Crutchfield(someone else?) sells an "adapter plug" or "adapter harness" - for lack of a more precise term, to connect the factory plug into the stereo without having to go through a wire search and splice effort. I'm capable of doing it but frankly, Why do it if some such adapter exists? Does anyone have any experience on this subject? Any idea of the cost? I assume it would be relatively cheap. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:47 PM
TimC
Instructor

Originally posted by Dan in Pasadena:
<STRONG>A received a nice JVC stereo for my 944 at Christmas and I was wondering if Crutchfield(someone else?) sells an "adapter plug" or "adapter harness" - for lack of a more precise term, to connect the factory plug into the stereo without having to go through a wire search and splice effort. I'm capable of doing it but frankly, Why do it if some such adapter exists? Does anyone have any experience on this subject? Any idea of the cost? I assume it would be relatively cheap. Thanks in advance.</STRONG>
Crutchfield should have it. About $10 IIRC. They had wiring kit for 88. Have fun figuring out which wire goes to which corner as P. didn't see fit to label them, at least in my car (note, at least at this step, you are just plugging, not splicing). You still have to splice the wires from the stereo to the kit harness wires, but at least you don't eliminate the factory harness plugs - nice when you sell the car and want to take your aftermarket head unit back out.

T
Old 01-08-2002, 08:50 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dan, I've used the crutchfield harness and it's very nice. Makes for a quick stereo install. Don't cut up your factory wiring it's very nice to keep it intact. Crutchfield may tell you that your fader control will still be used, however the one I got from them allowed me to bypass the fader.

To find which speaker was what I used a watch battery to make each speaker pop a bit then used some masking tape and magic marker.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:27 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Thanks LT and Tim. I knew one of you guys knew the answer. I'll order tommorrow. I knew about the battery trick too - works good! Thanks again
Old 01-08-2002, 11:43 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
Dan, Tim, LT, et al:

Just out of curiosity, do you guys know if there is a wire in the Stock harness that's connected to the factory alarm?
My PO put a aftermarket stereo in and the wires are just spliced and taped. And the key for the alarm is missing as well. I wonder if the former is the reason for the latter
Old 01-09-2002, 12:15 PM
Longtime76
Advanced

That's interesting about the alarm. I know that mine has stopped working but now that I think back it was close to the time when I installed my stereo (aftermarket). Perhaps that had something to do with it, although I don't see why the alarm would be wired to the radio...
Old 01-10-2002, 01:06 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally posted by Longtime76:
<STRONG>I don't see why the alarm would be wired to the radio...</STRONG>
I heard the reason might be for the alarm to sound off if the radio is ripped out of the dash...
Old 01-10-2002, 01:08 PM
Longtime76
Advanced

Good point about the alarm sounding due to removal of the radio. I think I'll start a new topic about the alarm.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:19 PM
sd01
Intermediate

Red face

Ok, this seems like a great time to ask, why does my car have an alarm horn under the hood? It's not listed on my options, no keyhole in the quarterpanel, yet the horn seems to be wired in from the factory. Is it for radio theft? Or do all cars have these horns by default (I didn't this so, but...)?
Old 01-10-2002, 07:04 PM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a aftermarket stereo and my factory alarm works
Old 01-11-2002, 12:50 PM
Longtime76
Advanced

Thanks TSW,
I can't see why the stereo would affect it, and believe it is just a coincidence.
Old 01-23-2002, 12:56 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Last week I used a crutchfield plug on my 87 944S , worked great. I saved my notes on the round speaker plugs. black =rf red=rr white=lf yellow=lr. I believe the wires were labeled,was a piece of cake. With the DIN pin removal tool it was $16.95
Old 01-23-2002, 11:42 AM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

I FINALLY got around to connecting my new JVC stereo harness to the Crutchfield provided adapter harness last night. You're right, it worked great. All colors match the factory harness and are marked in teeny tiny font as to their intended use. The only hang up was I couldn't get the factory radio out!

I didn't know to order the tool to remove the radio - is that the DIN pin removal thing you mention? Anyway, my nephew has the right tool so I'll finish the installation tonight.

Quick Reply: Stereo Adapter Wiring? - Crutchfield?