Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuba antenna

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 05:42 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 188 Posts
Post Fuba antenna

What would be the possibility of installing a Fuba (like on VWs) style antenna? I saw one on a pic at 968.net and it looks pretty good, not to mention my radio reception's worthless and a new antenna (I hear these are good) should do the trick. Anyway, is it possible to drill a hole in the rear part of the roof and wire the antenna in? Is that a job best left to the professionals, or a job best not done at all?

PS: The stock radio amp is plugged in to the radio, so I don't know why its reception is so bad.
Old 07-10-2001, 06:06 PM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuba make a few different antennas, the VW one is the "Beteflex D". you could alsso use the newer "stubby" one like on the newer audi's (TT?)

it's been a while but it's fairly easy.

the roof hole on a VW is punched square. drill a hole and run the lead. you can get amplified and unamplified. if you get a real Fuba and not one of the cheapie knock-offs, that'll work the best.

the 89-90 and later 928's have Fubas, i've been thinking of adding one to my 88.

here's a couple of links
http://www.rapidparts.com/Pages/vwc002b.html
http://www.antennaworld.com/amfm/tips/vw.html
Old 07-10-2001, 06:48 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Question

Wow what a great idea...

But I have an even better one, for me that is...

Some previous owner of my 89 944 decided he wanted a cell phone, so i have that ugly cell phone antenna DRILLED INTO THE GLASS> what a moron.

Anywaydo you think I could use the existing hole in the glass and get one of those antennas? Then maybe even use the existing wireing that comes down by the consol to the cell phone thingy?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 07-10-2001, 06:54 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You know, I have actually seen a Fuba on the fender of a BMW convertable. It pointed straight up like a regular antenna, but was stubby and black like Gary Coleman. I think I would like to figure out if I could do that rather than punch a hole in the roof skin and plug the hole in the fender.
Old 07-10-2001, 08:31 PM
Dave
Race Car

I have actually seen a Fuba on the fender of a BMW convertable. It pointed straight up like a regular antenna, but was stubby and black like Gary Coleman. I think I would like to figure out if I could do that rather than punch a hole in the roof skin and plug the hole in the fender.
This must be an earlier car as the post 85.5 cars don't have the fender hole. As long as the hole is there you might as well use it.
Anywaydo you think I could use the existing hole in the glass and get one of those antennas? Then maybe even use the existing wireing that comes down by the consol to the cell phone thingy?
I saw in a catalog a few years ago an AM/FM antenna that looked like a cell antenna, but I don't remember if it was a glass mount or not. If you can find a glass mount style you could install it in the existing hole.
Sorry, the existing antenna is cut for either 860-960 MHz or 1660-1880 MHz, they won't do much good at 88-108 MHz (FM) or .54-1.6 MHz. (AM)
Old 07-11-2001, 02:19 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

So you don't think I could slap on a Fuba antenna into that hole that was already cut by PPPO?

-Matt
Old 07-11-2001, 04:29 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed a Fuba Betaflex-d on my 86 951. It was easy, looks great, and the reception is much better than the stock windshield antenna.
Old 07-11-2001, 04:35 PM
z851@yahoo.com
Instructor

I was actually going to do that myself. I bought my '87 944 in Nov. '00. My reception was also terrible. I called VW and the price for the antenna is $300.

I had like no reception at all. So, I started taking my car apart and found the amp above the glove box. It has 2 wires coming out of it. The coax and a black wire (which should be together in a sheath). The black wire is accually the power wire. If it is not attached to a power supply, your reception will be terrible. I hooked mine up and it works great.
Old 07-11-2001, 04:46 PM
David J. Harrington
Racer

Matt-
I think the other Dave thought you were going to use the actual cell antennae. Sure, if you can find an antennae to fit the hole/pattern that is drilled into your glass, it should work. However, the coax(cable) used for the cell ant. might not be the best for the frequencies you need.

Dave951
Old 07-11-2001, 04:51 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the info!

-Matt
Old 07-11-2001, 05:52 PM
Dave
Race Car

I should clarify, the existing cell antenna will not work, the cable should be OK, IF you can find the appropriate (SP?) connectors for the cable type, Most, not all, am/fm antennas require a ground plane (mounted thru metal) so not only will the new mast have to fit the hole in the glass, it will have to be meant for mounting in glass.

I've got to start proof-reading my posts
Old 07-12-2001, 12:52 AM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Well, I went up to our local VW dealer and got the antenna for the tune of $40. Unfortunately it needs some funky connector to be of any use. Rob, where did you get that? I'm going to go back to the dealer tomorrow to see if they can order it, because none of the car audio places I went to had any idea what a Fuba antenna was(!). Once I get that adapter, though, it looks like the installation should be a cinch.
Old 07-12-2001, 07:14 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

the Fuba antenna I got was betaflex d roof mount amplified antenna from antenna world. I think it was about $75.00 though. it did come with the correct end on it. they can probably sell you an adapter for your vw one.

Antenna world is at antenna world

your local radio shack or car audio shop could also probably sell you an adapter too. it would be needed for putting an aftermarket head deck in a vw.
Old 07-12-2001, 08:36 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Woops! I went back and checked my records and found out that I actually got it from autotech.

here is the link
autotech

it was $60.00 plus shipping. It also came with a cable and power lead long enough to go from the roof to my deck.
Old 07-12-2001, 11:20 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

I think I'll just take my VW unit back. I've been to every car audio place in a 5 mile radius, none of them have an adapter. The VW parts guy said that the wire running from the roof to the head unit has the same end, so VW didn't have the part, but a Best Buy guy said that he's installed stereos into VWs and they did have the standard end. I think it will be easier just to order it all as one unit from Autotech, since it sounds like it comes with everything. Thanks for the link. Oh, one more question: did you have to fashion some sort of rubber seal to go between the roof and the antenna, or did you caulk it, or what? What keeps rain from getting in, just that it's snuggly fastened?

Quick Reply: Fuba antenna