Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close interior fire!! Bad short! help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 01:01 AM
Mikes-951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Close interior fire!! Bad short! help needed!

After ordering a new clutch, and having my turbo ready to install along with other mods for the 88 turbo S, i decided to get a head start on my 944. So today, after work i decided to take it for a quick spin around the block before tearing into it. Its been about 3 months that i have started the car, so i checked all my fluids and all that jazz, everything was good. When i went to start it, i realized that the battery was completely dead so i put it on a charger and fired her up. after about 5 minutes or so, i decided its time to go for a ride, when i got in, something smelled really bad! i shut the car off right away and started exploring! my carpet by the E-BRAKE was melting and smoldering!!!! after tearing out the carpet, i noticed that the spring that wraps around the actual cable was SUPER hot! in fact so hot, that when i touched it, i burnt my finger! i'm sure that i'm getting a short some wear but i cant find it! ive looked at all the grounds, cleaned em, they all seem fine!!! Something else worth mentioning, when that car is at idle im getting 13.8 volts at the battery, but when i hit the breaks, all the gauges kinda jumble around a little, was wondering if anyone can point me in the correct direction? i wanna fix this issue before i install the thousands of dollars worth of parts i have ready to go in. Any help will be LOTS of help! thanks.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 AM
16valver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A fellow Portlander!!!

Firstly if you haven't yet, join this:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/252487288199713/

Heres the direction I would point you in:
On my 87 there are wires that once went to a rear wiper that go along under the carpet next to the hand brake. The first thing I would check is that your hatch receiver gaskets aren't leaking. Rip out the rear carpet and get a look back there. If they are leaking water will puddle up on the small sill below the tail lights. This happens to be the same place that most of the rear interior stuff is grounded too. You will see ground wires bolted to this sill towards the drivers side of the car.

Make sure it isn't too wet and dielectric grease that sob.

It looks from your avatar that your car is a rear wiper delete. If this is the case make sure that if there was one there that a PO didn't do anything weird with the wires that go back there (ask me how I know). For instance if some idiot decided to "ground" a live wire things will get fried.

Are you sure you checked ALL the grounds? Theres lots of 'em
Old 04-17-2013, 01:43 AM
Mikes-951
Rennlist Member

thanks for the reply!! And yes finally a fellow Portlander!! alright so my hatch seal DOES leak, but i went over the grounds for the tail lights and they look good!! but i re-cleaned them and made sure they are getting a solid ground! so if it is getting wet back there, what else should i be looking for? would you be interested in helping me out one day? i would be glad to compensate your time!! and my car does not have the wiper delete.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:18 AM
16valver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dielectric grease them. This will help keep them getting a good ground.

Yeah dude, PM me or get on the FB page and hit one of us up. I'd be happy to lend you a hand although my electrical system knowledge is only to the extent I've needed to fix the quirks on my car.

Lemme know.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Mikes-951
Rennlist Member

Ok ill go threw all my grounds today after work and apply the grease to them. I sent a requeston the FB page, so ill get to you!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:42 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Unfortunately, I can't offer much advice other than tread carefully. Maybe also check the brake pressure switch (I think it's near the brake pedal) - the sensor that tells the brake lights to turn on because pressure is being applied to the brakes.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:22 PM
Mikes-951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by white924s
Unfortunately, I can't offer much advice other than tread carefully. Maybe also check the brake pressure switch (I think it's near the brake pedal) - the sensor that tells the brake lights to turn on because pressure is being applied to the brakes.
Thanks for the reply! I looked into that last night, reason was because i noticed when i was tapping the brakes with the car running, all my gauges would dim along with the arrows on my cluster would jump around.. when i get home today, im going tp re check, re clean all the grpunds and trace all my wires for the lighting.

Quick Reply: Close interior fire!! Bad short! help needed!