Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shift lever questions. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 01:02 PM
Sprewell17
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post shift lever questions. Please help

This may sound dumb but what does the black rubber boot under the leather boot do on your shifter? Does it serve any important purpose? Also I can remove my lever and black leather boot but how do I remove that black rubber boot that is underneath? While I'm at it how do I remove that shift lever? I heard a bushing sometimes needs to be replaced on it so I would like to look. Thanks in advance for any help. Great board.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:07 PM
cbr2@softhome.net
Intermediate

Originally posted by Sprewell17:
<STRONG>This may sound dumb but what does the black rubber boot under the leather boot do on your shifter? Does it serve any important purpose? Also I can remove my lever and black leather boot but how do I remove that black rubber boot that is underneath? While I'm at it how do I remove that shift lever? I heard a bushing sometimes needs to be replaced on it so I would like to look. Thanks in advance for any help. Great board.</STRONG>
The boot you arre refering to I believe helps heep the noise and heat from coming up.. I think there is a slit in it that allows you to see under it.. I have also see people rip it out... Non the less it is not as simple as a bushing .. Part of your shifter is a rod like item.. it becomes worn and the entire shifter needs replacing.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:22 PM
Renntag
Pro

Yeah it keeps out heat and noise. A fw years ago I was diagnosing a problem with a friend and we ran an n/a car with the shift **** or the boots. There was alot of heat and noise.

The rubber boot you speak of should just pull up. There is a clip at the base of the shift ****. Remove the clip then pull up on the **** really hard. Careful dont punch yourself in the face.

There is an 'e-clip' a little furthere down that disconnects the long shift rod to the shifter.

It is a very simple mechanism. Much better than the eary designs that suffered bushing wear problems like madd.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:29 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
Sprewell:

There is a bushing that's shaped like a round cylinder. It's at the bottom of the shifter assembly and has a cut-out in the middle to hold the "ball" that's on the bottom of the shifter rod. If this bushing is worn out, it can lead to a sloppy shifter.

But as mentioned already, the "pin" that sticks out sideways on the shifter rod will wear out, which is where most of your shifter slop will come from. Once you remove that e-clip, slide the transmission rod off and check to see if the "pin" still has a nice straight sides, or looks like a football. Mine looked like a football.

Oh, if you replace the bushing, it will help if you put some grease in it. This will aid in getting the shifter rod into it and may prevent any squeaking noises that may occur from the metal to plastic contact. But of course, the rubber boot might suppress that noise

Quick Reply: shift lever questions. Please help