Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strut pivot bearing???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 11:37 PM
joemun
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question strut pivot bearing???

Is it possible and or necessary to remove it, clean it, and repack it? If so, how would I go about doing it?
Old 01-06-2002, 01:04 AM
Renntag
Pro

As far as strut bearings go....if it is bad, replace it. If you are replacing the struts and the bearing is questionable, replace it. As far as maintenance for the strut bearing? God, there are so many other things to maintain...its allmost like..."whats a strut bearing? my car has one? ...cool! "

Dont know your particular sitch. Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:37 AM
joemun
Track Day

Actually, I'm not sure what the problem is but, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Whenever I drive over a bumpy road or lane markers on a freeway, I hear a rattle coming from the front end. Also, when turning at highway speeds the steering wheel begins to vibrate. Otherwise, on smooth roads the suspension feels fine.

Joe
Old 01-06-2002, 02:23 AM
Renntag
Pro

ok now we have more info. Could be many things. Have you checked the suspension at all? Tried bouncing each of the front corners? Jack the front up and check for play in the front wheels, check for play in the strut bearing and the sway bar. Essentially the front suspension needs to be thoroughly inspected for what ever loose part is giving you trouble.

Good luck.
Old 01-06-2002, 02:44 AM
joemun
Track Day

I've looked it over briefly and there is nothing obvious. Tomorrow I will be more thorough and give additional information if possible. With the info you have now, what would you suspect to be the most likely culprit?

Joe
Old 01-06-2002, 03:12 AM
Tabor
Drifting

My guesses:

1. Out of round wheels/poorly balanced tyres/bad tyres.
2. Bad ball joint
3. Bad tie rod ends
4. Bad/incorrectly adjusted wheel bearing
5. Bad bushings? (A-arm, etc).
6. Strut pivot bearing (I hear that the older (3 piece?) ones like to fail more than the newer one piece ones)
Old 01-06-2002, 04:05 AM
Renntag
Pro

I agree, but if it was fine on smooth roads and rattling on bumpy roads, shaking in fast turns...I wouldnt suspect a bad tyre or wheel.
However, I have seen the strangest suspension problems turn out to be a bad tyre/ wheel. best way to eliminate the possibility of that one is to swap wheels with a known good set or move the rears to the front. Even though the sizes are staggered, it will be fine for diagnostic purposes. If the problem goes away, you know it could be wheel/tyre related. (a bad tyre is more noticeable up front)

let us know what you find.

Good luck.
Old 01-06-2002, 08:42 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a similar problem with a shaking problem in the front end when I turned the wheel slightly around corners. Turns out I flat-spotted a tire at the track and even though it rolled OK in a straight line after I rebalanced it, at certain speeds the rotational frequency of that flat-spot coming around would match the frequency of the suspension and it would shake the steering wheel. Why it only did that in a corner, I have no idea. But putting that tire in the back solved it for me.
Old 01-06-2002, 10:26 AM
Renntag
Pro

Sometimes tire problems are allmost unexplainable. strange.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:13 AM
joemun
Track Day

Went under the car today and found the following:
1)Worn sway bar bushing
2)Torn steering rack boot
3)Torn tie-rod end dust covers
4)Grease seeping from around upper strut
mount
As for my tires, they are crappy no name generics that have too much tread left on them to justify buying new ones. These tires were on the car when I bought it and would vibrate at all speeds until I rebalanced the them.

Joe
Old 01-07-2002, 04:45 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Jo: 4)Grease seeping from around upper strut
mount
Looks like the shocks are on the way out.
When you replace them (with inserts) then leave the original oil in, filling the chamber between the strut and the insert. This will spare you some rattles and will allow for better heat transfer.
Also replace the top bearing

Take Care

Quick Reply: strut pivot bearing???