Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Suspension Rebound

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blown Suspension Rebound

Since search is down I figured I might as well ask my question

I'm on the stock almost 30 year old suspension. Its done. I've been saving for a set of coilovers but I noticed something a couple of days ago.

Not long ago when I would lean on the car and compress the suspension it would rebound and bounce a couple of times. Now when I do it everything bounces like it used to except the driver's side only pops up a little and makes a thunk noise, then goes up all the way. It takes it about twice as long to return as the passenger side does.

Is this what a dead shock does?
Old 04-14-2013, 06:50 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Reimu
...Not long ago when I would lean on the car and compress the suspension it would rebound and bounce a couple of times...
Your dampers are almost certainly shot. That "bounce a couple of times" is a sign that they are, its just the springs bouncing the car as the dampers are not doing any work. Good springs/dampers will rebound once and settle, they won't bounce twice like yours are doing. As for the other issue it's more than likely related in some way to the strut assembly and you will find out exactly what it is when you replace the dampers. Could be top strut mount, a-arm ball joint, tie-rod ball joint or sway bar bushes. All will cause a thump/pop but it's hard to diagnose over the Internet.

Quick Reply: Blown Suspension Rebound