Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

85.5 944 Purchase Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001 | 03:41 PM
Pamela
Advanced

Cool 85.5 944 Purchase Advice

As a new user I have been reading this site for the past few weeks - picking up bits and pieces of what to look for when making a 944 purchase. I am going to look at an 85.5 944 this afternoon (Hawaiian Time)and need some pointers and advice. This will hopefully be my FIRST Porsche purchase.
The car is in good condition, 102+K on the odometer(it is currently not working), some minor cosmetic flaws, such as driver's side door does not lock, the A/C does not blow cold, but seller tells me has just had the top half of the engine rebuilt (less than a month ago, at a cost of over $2K). Have driven it once already, drives like a dream - he is asking $4,500. Is this too expensive? Also, could somebody explain what is meant by "top half of engine", like what parts does this include and what does it not include? I would be grateful for any help with this. BTW - this site is excellent, keep up the good work.
Old 08-20-2001 | 03:50 PM
Craig944
Banned

Try to haggle him for 4k
Old 08-20-2001 | 03:54 PM
seanpkend
Intermediate

Pamela, its good to see a female on the board! I just purchased my 944 3 months ago so I hope I can help. Mine is a 88, has 105k, and is perfect inside and out(mechanically as well). There is not a blemish on the leather. The only problem is the power door locks don't work. The car has upgraded brakes, 17" Porsche C-2 Turbo wheels w/ Yokahama's, Borla exhaust, K&N Airfilter, and a Kenwood CD/Speaker system. The car was only $8500 after tax, tag, and title. It sounds to me that this car is a little over priced. Before you decide to buy you MUST take it to get a buyers check by a Porsche shop. Check that the timing belt has been replace recently. Hope every thing works out for you!

P.S.- How old are you!?
Old 08-20-2001 | 03:57 PM
Pamela
Advanced

Talking

I have pre-approved finance for $4500, however, seller informs me that another buyer supposed to contact him again today (needed to approve financing), and he has offered $4500. I was going to offer $4000 on the condition that pre-inspection was okay. I am not very experienced when it comes to haggling with car prices - and feel I may lose out on this one, there are not many porsches here in Hawaii to even look at.
Old 08-20-2001 | 04:00 PM
Pamela
Advanced

Talking

Sean, thanks for your words of advice. I am an old timer - 30!!! Previously owned an Alfa Romeo, but am partial to German cars.
Old 08-20-2001 | 04:04 PM
Pamela
Advanced

Question

Oh, seller has already lowered asking price from $4,900 if this is any help. Says the lowest he will take is $4500. What do I do now? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-20-2001 | 04:08 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Pamela...
I just bought a 86 944 last week. I spent $2750 on the car and it only has 53K miles. The seller and I agreed that the full retail with that low of millage was $5500, but the car needed a bunch of work (rack & pinion, powersteering pump, shocks, struts, etc.) so we agreed to take the mechanics estimate for the work off of the price. Interior is a 9 out of 10, exterior about a 7 out of 10, and the motor seems to run real strong. Have you looked the value up in the blue book (kellybluebook.com) I would think that it is probably around that, $4500, but that should be for a relatively perfect car (mechanically). Check out the website and see what it says. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck

Rob
Old 08-20-2001 | 04:39 PM
Dave
Race Car

Inspection is a must, the biggest question is how long has the odometer been broken. An
85.5 is exactly the same as an 86, and the difference in value is minimal. Condition is everything, and could cause the value to be anywhere up to $9-10k. A car with over 100k miles, (but not WAY over) in good condition mechanically and cosmetically, goes for $4000-$6000 around here. Next thing to consider is the used car market in your area, how do prices compare to other areas in general?
Old 08-20-2001 | 04:46 PM
Dave
Race Car

Oops, I forgot, top half of engine is basically the cylinder head, hopefully the belts and waterpump were done at that time.
Old 08-20-2001 | 04:54 PM
Rob Glass
Advanced

The worst thing you can do is jump into one of these cars with a questionable past. Do you have anyone that can work on the car for you in your area.
Also, its a big risk buying one with miles unknown. No telling how many miles are on the car!!! How many owners has it had???? Did the prev. owners keep good maint. records? You're better off paying a little more and getting a well maintained car if you are not mechanically inclined. Be sure to check for recent timing belt replacement, water pump, cam seals, shocks and struts, trans. seals, a/c componets, and check for rack and pinion steering leaks. You could spend another 4500 the next day, if the car needs to be brought back up to date. Many owners neglect repairs because of extremely high costs involved. Not trying to be negative, just letting you know what you're getting into. Yes, they are sweet looking cars!!!
Old 08-20-2001 | 04:57 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

If you run the VIN through carfax.com, it will give you the last times that the car was registered/insured and what the miles where at the time. That way you can atleast see how long ago it looks like the odometer broke.

Rob
Old 08-20-2001 | 05:08 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

I'd strongly suggest letting this one go, and waiting for a better example to come on the market. Here's why:

If the previous owner has not kept the car maintained properly (you list a number of things which obviously have broken and he hasn't got repaired), the car could quickly become a very expensive proposition. Try getting the repairs priced for just the things you know aren't working, like the odometer, even if you have no intenetion of fixing them, just as an indication.

Also, a car with 100K miles should not have had to have the engine rebuilt under normal circumstances if it had been properly maintained. Perhaps the previous owner had the timing belt fail, which necessitated the rebuild? Again, if the car hasn't been looked after, you've got a potential money pit on your hand (which greatly dexreases the joy of ownership.)

I appreciate the HI market might be different, but I bought a 86 944 this year with _no_ known problems for $5000. The was from the original owner who had receipts for all mechanical work on the car dating from new. Good cars are out there selling for not much more than price of the nightmares. My advice: be patient, and don't buy if you're feeling pressured.

-Mark 86 944 NA
Old 08-20-2001 | 05:29 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I haven't read the other posts, but $4,500 is TO MUCH for that car.

You can find a very nice 86 or 87 for that much! Don't be sucked into "this is the one" syndrome that most of us get.

I wouldn't go any higher then $3,500 or so for an 85.5 with that many miles (in GOOD to EXCELLENT condition), maybe because I wheel and deal, or maybe because of common sense. I know some on here will disagree, but $4,500 is too much for that car. You will never get your money out of it if you go to sell, or if you get in a wreck, etc.

On a side note:

KBB has the car you are looking for (not with a HI zip though) for about $3,200 +/- a few hundred, wasn't sure the exact options.

Now, if the car is in absolulely PAMPERED condition from the day it was born, then maybe $4K isn't that much to ask, but I'd be hard pressed to swing $4,500...

Although some may not think my car is worth $8,500, but I know it is, so I guess everything is relative...

Sorry so long...

-Matt
Old 08-20-2001 | 05:31 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Pamela, the "top end rebuild" at only 102K indicates POOR maintenance.. either a broken timing belt (neglect or ignorance of this critical issue) or lack of oil changes (generally slack attitude). This could be either just a head job (valves, seats, etc.), but properly used, the term implies rings & pistons. With the other issues you mentioned, I'd be very slow to buy this car.

A pre-purchase inspection by a competnet, dis-interested shop is a must!!!! There are 'way too many potential $500 to $1,000 "surprises" that can be lurking in poorly maintained 944. If it needs clutch, ball joints, & stering rack, (all are possible) and you have to pay labor, you've just dropped about $2K+.

I haven't a clue as to 944 prices in the islands, and doubt that mainland experience will apply.

Jim, maybe you could become your own wrench...

Old 08-20-2001 | 06:50 PM
Pamela
Advanced

Hey, thanks guys for your kind words of advice regarding this car. After reading all the above information, my mind is now swinging toward the negative - perhaps this car is not the one for me, although I still may go and check it out again, ask a few more important questions this time round. I think this seller is just trying to recoup what he has spent, he is the fourth owner, purchased this car in December 2000 for his step-son, who did not care to drive it, so his wife is nagging at him to sell it.

Thanks once again guys for all of your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: 85.5 944 Purchase Advice